Back in the saddle again!

Wynne Jones

Holy Schmidt, I just met Melissa Hartwig! 

Great seminar - I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity. She's that rare kind of presenter who can make even somewhat dry material seem interesting, and everything she shared was relevant and helpful. 

Day 21

M1: sweet potato fritters, sausage, black coffee, blueberries with coconut cream

M2: spinach and mushroom salad, chicken, tangerine

snack: nuts and a banana on the drive home

plan for M3: spaghetti squash with tomatoes and turkey meatballs

Day 22 was great. I got over my head cold in record time - I have no symptoms! My friends who had this cold said it lingered for a week or more. Started my period today and have had cramps all day, which is a bit unusual for me, but nothing too terrible. 

M1: salsa omelet with guac, sausage

M2: spag. squash, turkey, veggie tomato sauce, Larabar 

M3: roast chicken, carrots, green beans, sw. potato

I am planning to go to Boston with a big group of my friends from AA on April 26. One of the things we are planning is a trip to the North End, specifically Mike's Pastry. If you've never had a cannoli from Mike's you may not be able to fully "get" this, but ever since my friend mentioned it I have been OBSESSING about that cannoli. Should I have one? Is it worth it? My Whole 30 will be over, but I had told myself I would go till Mother's Day. Ugh. When I use the word "obsessing" I am not exaggerating. Makes me wonder if I will ever be able to simply eat and not have this overwhelming emotional reaction. 

Day 23 - After breakfast had cramping and dia-you-know-what. Later in the day felt fine. I am having my period and, odd as it sounds, I used to always have tummy troubles with my period, though that hasn't happened since I was young. 

M1 - scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions, apple, black coffee

M2 - spag. squash, turkey, tomato sauce (very small portion - famished later!)

snack: dill pickle, Applegate hotdog

M3 - Scotch eggs, carrots, celery, peppers, cucumbers, tea

Day 25! I chaired a meeting tonight, and everyone said I was glowing, that my share was inspirational. Afterwards, two women asked me to sponsor them! Yikes!  Whole 30 is helping me be my best self.

M1 - breakfast hash with turkey, sw potato & apple

M2 - chicken, sugar snap peas, sw. potatoes, banana

Post WO - 2 hardboiled eggs

M3 - Elevation burger, sw potato (it's been a very potatoey kind of day!)

Day 27 - feeling great, but still have strong cravings for all the things I can't have. I keep trying to make deals with myself. Like, "You can go out for ice cream after the Whole30 is over and then do another one." The fact is, I won't consider this Whole 30 truly successful if I am still romancing sugar. My biggest goal in doing this is to feel free from what I consider addiction. I am clearly not there yet. 

So, I think I am going to stay on the Whole 30 for a while. 

M1 - scrambled eggs with gr. pepper, onion; grapefruit; black coffee

snack - banana

M2 - salad, chicken, nuts

Pre WO - 1 Applegate hotdog

Post WO - carrot

M3 - taco salad, coconut "chips"

Great day 28 - except for tummy troubles...again.

M1 - roast ssg, sweet potato, apple, black coffee

M2 - taco salad w/avocado; pineapple

post WO - leftovers from breakfast

M3 - turkey burger, plain; roast carrots and asparagus

snack (M3 was not big enough - needed something) lemon Larabar, rooibos tea

About to go to bed on Day 30 - I did it! 

Forgot to post yesterday's meals and now can't remember them. Proof that this is becoming second nature!

Today: M1 - scrambled eggs with spinach, black coffee

M2 - a few bites of pork chop, a hard boiled egg, some squash soup, a handful of nuts, a grapefruit, and some carrots

M3 - asparagus and chicken

My plan for tomorrow - eat Whole 30 meals, then go out for ice cream with my family after my daughter's band concert. After that, I plan to be almost completely compliant until Mother's Day, when I have a 5K. I can't say Whole30, though, because I plan to add two things: 1) Applegate bacon, which has added sugar and 2) regular organic butter. 

So endeth my Whole 30 log! Thanks for keeping me honest!

• 1 month later...

Time for another Whole 30! I'm starting TODAY. Why wait? 

I've gone too deeply into SAD territory the last week or so. Seems I'm still not able to off-road the way I want to. I'm going to keep on doing W30 until I'm able to get where I want to be: SANE about food. 

What does it mean to be sane about food? It means that I know the truth about myself in regard to a particular food and I act accordingly. For example, I know that when I eat the bread and cheese in a Philly cheese steak from my favorite greasy spoon, I will have painful, noxious gas and look like I'm 6 months pregnant. That should be enough to keep my from ordering it if I am sane about food. But when I get in line at Hoss & Mary's that insane part of me - my food addiction - tells me it's OK to order it, that it's going to be different this time. When I'm doing a W30, that can't happen, so my sanity returns. But when I off-road, I will maybe have that one piece of lovely dark chocolate on Monday, on Tuesday I say yes to a coconut macaroon (hey-it's gluten free, right?), on Wednesday I suddenly feel like it's OK to splurge and get an ice-cream cone with the kids - hell, I deserve it - and by Saturday I say yes to EVERYTHING. 

Today is to put together a plan for meals and create a list, shop, get my breakfasts for the work week lined up, and make a couple of big dishes, like chili or a soup. I started off with a big breakfast of eggs with veggies and sausage, and I am good to go until noon or so. 

Goals for this W30 include finding my sanity, lessening my dependence on fruits to assuage the sugar dragon (I'm hoping to kill the SOB this time!) and I'm going to try and time my meals so that no snacks will be necessary. 

Thanks for reading! 

A great day 1 food-wise. 

M1 - veggie and sausage scrambled eggs, black coffee

M2 - lamb chop, asparagus

M3 - pork chops cooked in ghee, applesauce, sugar snap peas, kiwi

Otherwise, a rough day. My marriage is in a rough patch, and I don't know what to do. To some, it might seem like an odd time to do a W30, but I know from experience that the W30 actually helps with my sense of calm and serenity. 

Day 2

A little bit headachy, a little bit sick to my tummy, otherwise good

M1 - breakfast casserole (eggs, shredded sw. potato, onions, asparagus), ssg, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee

M2 - lamb chop, ratatouille, banana

M3 - roast chicken, sweet potato

evening snack - banana

One of my goals is to cut out snacking and fruit, so as we can see I didn't do too great on either count. Oh well - tomorrow is another day!

M1 - breakfast casserole, ssg, spinach, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee

M2 - pork chops, apples, zucchini, nuts

pre work out - turkey

M3 - taco salad, avocado, strawberries

I think I may have to say goodbye to nuts - bad tummy ache during my workout that I attribute to the nuts :(

Also, proof today that yes, my probiotic IS working! I forgot to take it this AM and definitely noticed. 

Ha ha! So much for holding steady. Yeesh. I went off the deep end. You know, sometimes I think I'm crazy, then I remember I'm just a plain old addict. I want what I want when I want it, and when I'm not on the spiritual beam I am toast. I didn't drink, thank God, but I indulged in my two other addictions - food and cigs. And it had been a while since I smoked! Ugh!

I need to forgive myself and move forward. I have a plan in place for tomorrow and I want to start another full-on Whole 30 starting June 1. 

Yesterday was a great Day 1! Feeling connected, prepared, and confident.

M1 - kale& tomato scramble with ssg, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee

M2 - 1/2 a sw potato, hamburger, cherry tomatoes

snack - fruit salad

M3 - steak & broccoli, pineapple

I also went for a hike and felt good. 

M1 - steak and eggs w/ kale, 1/2 grapefruit, black coffee

M2 - 1/2 sweet potato, hamburger, garlic mayo, tomatoes, banana

pre WO - hardboiled egg

M3 - roasted ssg, onion, sw potato

Feeling cranky, but otherwise doing great!

Oooo, I came so close to bailing on my W30 today! I stayed strong, though!

M1 - steak and eggs and kale, coffee

M2 - salad with all sorts of veggies and protein and dressing

snack - grapefruit

M3 - sw. potato, burger, tomatoes, mayo

Goodnight!

Archived