Zombie Mayo - What is going on?

LauraLish

A new phenomenon is occurring with my mayo.  About 1/3 of my recent batches has experienced the following...

I'll whip it up and it's perfect.  After a few days go by I notice it has a weird texture.  Rather than being shiny and lovely, it's super thick and with an opaque grainy consistency.  Reminds me of the texture of a mud mask. If it hits hot food it melts instantly.  If I leave the container out on the table for the amount of time to eat a meal, it turns to oil and is garbage. 

What do you think is going on that is making my mayo super unstable?  I've hypothesized that my fridge is getting too cold, but I turned up the temp a bit and I had a batch last week get weird. Maybe I need to turn it up some more..?

I don't know.  I know my if I use light olive oil to make my oil, it will be much thicker in the fridge and looser in warmer temp. I don't experience the same thing when I use avocado oil.  Before I understood more about the omega6/3 ratio thing when I started paleo, I used to use walnut oil in my mayo.  that was my absolute favorite oil to use...

The grainy texture is odd to me...are you sure your oil hasn't turned rancid?

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Did you ever figure it out? I get that same weird melted-when-it-hits-hot-food reaction if mine has gotten too cold. Had to find the sweet spot in the fridge that was just the perfect temp...not too cold and not too warm.

It's the saturated fat content in the oil, even with oils that are only part saturated.  Saturated fats solidify when cooled and melt when heated over about 78 degrees.  Mayo that changes texture in heat has either too much saturated fat in it, or the emulsion with the egg wasn't whipped up enough to make the oil fine enough that the egg keeps it together.

I have found that adding an extra egg yolk to the mayo gives it a firmer more durable texture.  It will also make give it a yellower color, so be prepared for that if you try it.  And, I have found that making sure, egg, acid, oil are all at a neutral room temperature makes a difference in the quality of the emulsion.

Hope you solve the problem as homemade mayo is such a lovely condiment to have around during a W30 (or anytime, really!)

Archived