SWYPO and sugar dragons.

I know most of the people doing a whole 30 struggle with sugar dragons and the temptation to make SWYPO treats!

I have a particular eating disorder which means my reliance on these foods is particularly bad.

Does anyone have any advice for those that *really* struggle?

Does anyone have any advice for those that *really* struggle?

Sorry, what makes you think your struggle is harder than anyone elses? Trust me that every. single. person. struggles. It might not be the same struggle that you have, but yours is not harder, or easier, than theirs.

From what I have observed, and from my own experience, I have two suggestions: one is to make sure you are not underfed. Lots of people get into a cycle where they restrict too much at meals and then find themselves unable to control cravings outside of meals. The body will seek nourishment. Provide it in the form of healthy meals meeting the whole30 meal template three times per day every day, and that will be easier. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Second, is to make sure when you are hungry that you satisfy that hunger with protein and fat. Subbing fruit (or dried fruit! or dates!!!) for candy or treats will make this harder.

Thankyou :) sorry I didn't mean it in the 'those that actually have to struggle' way, but rather for those who find the struggle even harder due to other circumstances - for me its an eating disorder, for example

I absolutely think that having an eating disorder makes your struggle with food demons different than those who don't have one because food addictions/eating disorders change the way your brain sends signals, which can make the struggles you go through harder (though I do think a lot of people come to the Whole30 with an eating disorder or in recovery from an eating disorder, so a lot of people on the forum are going through exactly what you're going through).

Have you read the Sometimes It's Hard post? http://whole30.com/2012/04/sometimes-it-is-hard/ This is an alternative to the tough love (oh come on, eating this way isn't that hard! cancer is hard!) approach because for someone with an eating disorder this IS hard, just as hard as say overcoming a cocaine addiction. This will not perhaps provide any specific strategies for coping with the sugar demons, but it will hopefully provide some reassurance.

I also think this is a situation where *just* the Whole30 eating plan may not be enough. You may want to have someone to talk to (even if it's just a friend) throughout this process. Verbalizing your struggles may help you overcome them.

Good luck! As someone who does not have an eating disorder but has watched an eating disorder wreak havoc in the life of someone I love, I have SO much respect for what you're going through and think it's really awesome that you are working so hard to make a positive change in your life!

Archived