anything at Canyon Cafe? (menu linked)

Chocoholic382

http://www.canyoncafe.com/fromenudin11.htm

I'm in an awkward position.

Boyfriend's grandparents really want to take us out here (they have some kind of coupon...so I'm pretty sure I HAVE to get an entree) but I don't see a thing I can have. I assume all of the burgers/meats are cooked in noncompliant oil, and all of the salads would seem to require at least 2-3 adjustments to make it compliant. Boyfriend doesn't want to turn his grandparents down.

I would call the restaurant and ask about getting burgers/meat cooked on a dry grill. Tell them your list of concerns and restrictions and see what they can do to assist you. Going in with a well researched plan is your best course of action.

Call ahead see if they can dry grill a burger, piece of salmon or chicken for you, with no seasonings other than salt and pepper. (If you go with the burger, confirm it's gluten free.)

Then ask if you can get any of those proteins over or with a side salad with greens, tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and sliced avocado (I took all that, except the avocado, from the salads they currently offer: I'm thinking they have avocados, given the menu).  See if you can also get a lemon wedge to squeeze over the salad for dressing.

Oh my goodness, they were so accommodating when I called! They'll cook whatever I want in olive oil instead of canola. She listed off the meats that come un-marinaded, so I don't necessarily have to be limited to a salad, and she offered to add steamed veggies to replace whatever sides I can't have. Many more options than I expected from a place that throws tortilla chips in everything.

• Moderators

Nice!

I've had good luck too, asking ahead of time what on the menu is compliant and depending on that answer, asking them to talk to the chef about what would be the easiest for them to make compliant for me.

I figure I'm going to get better results letting them steer me toward things that perhaps only need an ingredient or two omitted.

Just a note of caution, maybe you already went over this when you called: I've run into restaurants that say they have steamed veggies, but they're actually prepared in butter &/or seasonings... Sometimes it just happens that they're so used to saying steamed veggies they forget the actual preparation process.

Good for you being proactive and calling. It's not always easy to go out 'n about on a whole30. :)

Archived