Tomato Substitutions in Curries and Soups

Hi Everyone....I would like to be able to make some curries and soups, but it seems like most curry recipes I find have tomatoes in them...same with a lot of soups. I am horribly allergic to tomatoes. Any ideas on a substitution?

I make curries all the time and don't always put tomatoes.  Usually, I include some curry-related spices and coconut milk.  Add a protein and a bunch of veggies and call it a curry.  I'd bet you could do it without the tomato and be just fine.  Use bone broth if you think there may not be enough liquid.  Or, add another veggie.  

I think one of the first ones I made came from Tom Denham's site and was posted here as a Steal This Meal.  (I may be wrong on that, but he does have curries there.)

• 2 weeks later...

Pureed pumpkin (I use canned) is wonderful in curries!  You may need to increase the spice and the amount of coconut milk a tad.

Awesome idea!  I am trying to encourage my mom to take paleo for a spin because of her RA. So definitely she needs to do AI protocol.    I don't think she is ready for a whole 30, but she is coming round to  the idea (I think) of eating paleo.

Canned pumpkin gives an awesome creaminess!  I also add it to my chile and to chili, but those wouldn't be AIP.   It is a fun veggie to sneak in, even in egg dishes.

I buy curry paste from the asian market (I like Massamun curry, which is yellow in color, but not the same as typical "yellow" curry) and just cook my meat with some diced onion, then add the curry paste and let it cook a bit to get fragrant, then add coconut milk, veggies, and let simmer until the veggies are cooked. You can stagger the veg so ones that take a long time to cook, like carrots, can get tender before adding quick-cooking ones like snap peas.

Archived