Replacements for potatoes?

Vian

I want to make some Zuppa Toscana, but it has potatoes in it, and I like the bulk they add to the soup. What would be a good alternative to thinly sliced boiled potatoes in a soup? I was thinking either celeriac or sunchokes, but I've never tasted either. Which one tastes most similar?

I want to make some Zuppa Toscana, but it has potatoes in it, and I like the bulk they add to the soup. What would be a good alternative to thinly sliced boiled potatoes in a soup? I was thinking either celeriac or sunchokes, but I've never tasted either. Which one tastes most similar?

I use white sweet potatoes (not yams) and they work perfectly as a substitute for regular potatoes. You can use yams but I find them too sweet in some dishes. 

I use turnips like potatoes in stews. They have a bit tangy taste. Celery root is also a bit tangy. White sweet potatoes (also called Japanese sweet potatoes) would have a more similar texture to potatoes and they are delicious.

I use white sweet potatoes (not yams) and they work perfectly as a substitute for regular potatoes. You can use yams but I find them too sweet in some dishes. 

Are white sweet potatoes less sweet than yams?  i've had a white sweet potato once, in an attempt to make hash browns, and i burned them by accident.  from what i tasted from the salvageable part is that it was sweet.  Not sure if it was my scorching that caused that.

• Moderators

I tried turnips and I tried rutabagas. I definitely prefer rutabaga. I adore them in soups, roasted with parsnips and carrots and most of all, shredded and fried in coconut oil for Meal 1 (with onions + eggs and/or meat). One of my favorites since discovering them my first Whole30.

Are white sweet potatoes less sweet than yams?  i've had a white sweet potato once, in an attempt to make hash browns, and i burned them by accident.  from what i tasted from the salvageable part is that it was sweet.  Not sure if it was my scorching that caused that.

I think they are less sweet than yams. They are definitely sweeter then regular potatoes so keep that in mind if you are using them as a substitute for regular.

I tried turnips and I tried rutabagas. I definitely prefer rutabaga. I adore them in soups, roasted with parsnips and carrots and most of all, shredded and fried in coconut oil for Meal 1 (with onions + eggs and/or meat). One of my favorites since discovering them my first Whole30.

I also like rutabagas better than turnip. This Thanksgiving I had mashed carrot and turnip for the first time and it was really good. I think the sweetness of the carrot helped cut the bitterness of the turnip. You might want to give it a try. Just boil them and then mash them with a little ghee. Enjoy!

Neber Rutabagas but Celery root or celerica is best replacemnet for potato. Sweet potatoes are more sweeeter than regular ones. Recently I came know about 'jicama' anyone having any information about this.

Jicama is a very bland vegetable. It kind of tastes like a water chestnut, similar texture. You peel it and can cut it into sticks and then use it with dips or chop it up and put in on your salad. It is very bland for me so I don't use it very often.

I eat jicama but raw. Sliced with a juice of a lime squeezed over it, and sprinkled Tajin. Which is a spice mixture found in most Hispanic markets or sections of the super market. It's chili based. Or a dash of Sriracha or Valentina hot sauce will do too. Sometimes I'll make a mango and jicama or apple and jicama slaw. It really doesn't have any flavor and not a good substitute for cooked potatoes.  But can be a very refreshing change and perfect for the hot season over tacos, salad or as a crunchy snack. 

• Moderators

I like jicama raw as a crudite better than cooked. I made the Jicama Home Fries in Well Fed several times, but the long cooking time was a drawback. And they still don't get quite as soft as potatoes. One option that worked well - shred them, then fry up with coconut oil, then add onion, etc.

Jicama is not a favorite of mine.  I tried making home fries out of it, and the taste of it was just wrong.  I also tried to make "fries" out of it from everyday paleo, and it was not good at all.  Its not a vegetable I buy anymore. I gave it a shot, but if I bought it I think it would go to waste because I have no desire to use it.

What about YUCCA?  It's a root.  But I don't see that on the shopping list though.  Most likely off limits for Whole30.  But maybe if transitioning to Paleo/Primal an acceptable root vegetable to use in place of a potato (crossing fingers).  It takes on the flavors of a dish pretty well and to me good stuff! :wub:    

What about YUCCA?  It's a root.  But I don't see that on the shopping list though.  Most likely off limits for Whole30.  But maybe if transitioning to Paleo/Primal an acceptable root vegetable to use in place of a potato (crossing fingers).  It takes on the flavors of a dish pretty well and to me good stuff! :wub:    

I believe Yucca is fine. They can't list everything on the shopping list, it is just a good guideline.

Archived