Non-gelatinous Bone Broth

Cooked some bone broth in the crock pot for about 36 hours.  The bones were left over from making Korean short ribs.  I had a mug last night and the broth tasted burnt.  I thought maybe the taste was from the left over short rib sauce having burnt.  But this morning when I went to scoop out some, I noticed that the broth wasn't at all gelatinous.

I've made broth twice before (one beef, one chicken) and they turned out fine, nice and jiggly.

Should I use it or throw it out?  Could it be damaged?

I doubt it's damaged, but you are correct in thinking that the sauce might be burnt or have created an unpleasant flavor somehow. As far as not gelling, you usually need to use bones with a lot of connective tissue and cartilage to get beef jello. Ribs do in fact have that, but if you cooked them, ate it all off the ribs, then tried to make bone broth, then all that connective tissue is gone. I usually use knuckle bones for my broth and it gels just fine.

I doubt it's damaged, but you are correct in thinking that the sauce might be burnt or have created an unpleasant flavor somehow. As far as not gelling, you usually need to use bones with a lot of connective tissue and cartilage to get beef jello. Ribs do in fact have that, but if you cooked them, ate it all off the ribs, then tried to make bone broth, then all that connective tissue is gone. I usually use knuckle bones for my broth and it gels just fine.

Thank you, Vian!  I didn't even think about that!

The burnt taste might come from not straining the broth enough.  If you leave too much 'brown bits' in the broth, it can taste bitter.  I like to strain the broth through several layers of cheese cloth to get the brown gunk out.  Also, I leave a little bit of broth behind in the pan because it is dense with gunk.

Archived