Delayed ovulation

sarfalv

Hi everyone,

My keen use of google tells me this is a topic that has been taken up before, but none of the threads I read were specific to my situation so I thought I would post individually to see if anyone could help me clarify what's going on.

I'm currently on day 22 of my first whole 30. I'm feeling great, my skin has cleared up, and I have lots of energy. All good things.

The bad thing is that I don't seem to be ovulating. I've been TTC for almost a year now without luck. I decided to try Whole30 as a general cleanse and with the hope that maybe it would aid me and hubs in conceiving. Now, I'm 20 days into my cycle and no signs of ovulating-- typically I have a 30-33 cycle with a 16 day LP. My bbt are way out of whack (staying waaaay too high) and for the last 10 days my OPKs were negative. My CM has also been inconsistent, rather than a general progression to EWCM. All my blood work pre-Whole30 showed normal thyroid and hormone functions, so I'm concerned that Whole30 has actually thrown me out of whack. I'm still getting enough good carbs because I love fruit, squash, and sweet potatoes (always have), so I don't think that's the problem.

Basically, I have no idea what is going on. Is it possible that Whole30 is interfering with ovulation and fertility? Can it actually mess up your hormones? If anyone else has had a similar situation, I'd really appreciate the insight! At this point, I'm ready to throw in the towel just so that I start ovulating again!

hey honey, I'm sorry to hear this, but try to be patient. It is normal for the body to percieve a radical change in diet as stress, and to respond to that by delaying ovulation. Although lots of people have strange menstruation the first month, it typically gets into a much more predictable/healthy pattern as you continue eating this way.

I would make sure you are eating the template minimum of protein and fat, and keep starchy carbs on the high side as well. That, plus stress-management (easy movement, meditation, etc.) and good sleep will all put you in the right direction. 

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I've been following the template and regulating stress and sleep pretty well-- it's all been in the baby making playbook for the last year. Going full Whole30 wasn't a huge change from what we'd been eating before the program except that we cut out dairy. It's just very disappointing that apparently by trying to eat healthier may have cost me another cycle of ttc.

Ovulation for me is always delayed during a whole 30. But, it always shows up eventually. You may view it as a lost opportunity, but what if it's the last change you needed to make to make it a successful month? What's a few days or weeks if that's the case? Just trying to offer a different prospective.

Archived