Lunch ideas, no microwave

cheygirl86

We are planning on starting the whole 30 for the first time in a couple of weeks, however we are struggling with ideas for my husbands lunch. He works construction and needs something quick and that doesn't need heated up. I am planning on sending him with a thermos of soup, and meat and veggie roll ups, are there other options? He has a history of food service and refuses to eat cold chicken or eggs, so any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!

My husband works nights and needs quick things too and we don't ever use a microwave.  I'll tell you what he does.  I usually send him a bowl of salad greens or the leftover salad from our dinner.  Along with that he takes compliant meat roll ups OR I make him chicken or tuna salad or leftover turkey for on top using paleo mayo, etc.  He takes those little mini containers of guacamole they sell in the stores... they are compliant and last a long time and are much easier/quicker for him than an avocado.  He also takes compliant Lara Bars and RX bars to have on hand in case he doesn't have time to sit down and really eat a 'meal'.  Soups or other leftovers work well in a thermos.  He loves paleo chili. He will also sometimes take a jar of sauerkraut to eat with his lunchmeat or turkey....  not my style, but he loves it.  He also always has a jar of nuts with him if he doesn't want the guacamole.  He often takes a bowl of various vegetables with dip as well.  Would your husband eat canned chicken or tuna from the can if he opens it there?

I'd love to see what other people suggest! Best WIshes!

• 2 weeks later...

My lunch about 3 times a week consists of a butt load of salad greens with black olives or sliced and diced veggies topped with sardines packed in olive oil, more often than not with an avocado. The sardines are great protein and fat source (esp with the EVO) and the avocado compliments it well. Add some nuts or seeds for a bit of a crunch and this is a really satisfying meal!

I personally don't mind having leftovers cold. Today I had a leftover pork chop and baked sweet potatoes and parsnips (these were part of a curry dish I made where everything was cooked in coconut milk, tomato paste, and seasoned with turmeric, chili powder, and cinnamon), and I ate it cold out of my tupperware. It still tasted great! But that's definitely a personal preference.

Hope that gives you a couple more ideas. I'm with your hubs on the sauerkraut out of the jar, too...yum!

You could do curry in the thermos, perhaps.  My husband is LOVING scotch eggs (boiled egg with homemade sausage wrapped around it, then baked) but if your husband won't do cold eggs than that is out. I have to pack a lot of "snacks" because he is gone for 14 hours but only gets one meal break.  So he has to be able to grab something quick between tasks.  I send olives, a variety of nuts, pork rinds (Costco has a version without MSG or additives), fruit (either fresh or fruit cups packed in 100% juice), sunflower seeds, baby carrots, snap peas, grape tomatoes and homemade beef jerky.

Another idea is to get a personal size crockpot and power adapter, so he can have the food warm and read in his vehicle.  Amazon sells one for $20 (http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1395300742&sr=8-8&keywords=car+food+heater)

• Moderators

Just a few off the top of my head:

• Well Fed's excellent tuna salad with Bibb or Boston lettuce for "wraps"
  • Make curried chicken salad - Whole30 mayo + leftover chicken breast/thighs + celery + golden raisins + curry powder
  • Salad greens + cabbage + leftover meat or hard-boiled eggs + other veggies you like as others have suggested (put a compliant dressing in separate container so it doesn't soggy up the salad)
  • Prosciutto wrapped mini-frittatas from Nom Nom Paleo (or a wedge of a full size frittata). Bonus: top with hot sauce or mayo + your favorite spices/flavors

My husband and I are planning on creating a salad bar in our fridge for easy lunches. I'm planning on having salad greens and spinach, plus tons of different veggies chopped up, chopped hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken, maybe some tuna if I can find it without soy. 

Archived