Warning: Canola oil in Whole Foods Italian Sausage

Chalk this one up to a live and learn - when shopping for our first Whole30 last weekend, we diligently checked our labels, even asking the butcher to print out the ingredients for the sausage to check for sugar.  We were going to have sausage and sweet potato patties this morning, but the label had one more thing that I didn't notice.  CANOLA oil.  What?  Why?  We're having eggs and hash browns instead, but I wanted to post a warning, because although I read about people checking WF sausages for sugar, no one mentioned the possibility of a noncompliant oil.

good reminder about checking labels for all the things, covered in bees, but I wanted to clarify one thing:

Although canola isn't recommended, it is allowed on the whole30. Soy Oil and Corn Oil are the ones you are not allowed to have.

Here is the official word on Canola:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don't think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don't expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you'd never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you're not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.duh78grG.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...

Archived