dana

Glad to facilitate your procastination, love reading you log.

Where's your pic gone?

thanks for checking in and helping me out ;) not sure why the pic disappeared....but seems to be back. perhaps a sign i needed to step away from the computer for a spell.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took a stroll to the neighbourhood sweet shop. It's over-the-top and great. Full of pastels & white lace & sophisticated french pastries. Though i don't sample the goods, the sights & smells are lovely.

I stop in to spoil myself with a "real" espresso from time to time...but today left with a light-pink tin of green tea sachets. The tea is "Thai flavoured" with (real) coconut, ginger, and lemon grass. The sachets are silky netting shaped into little pyramids. I have two of them steeping in my mini blue-and-white teapot now...alongside a matching cup brimming with tea stirred with two teaspoons of coconut milk.

Afternoon splurge = very, very good. (And totally whole30.)

On my walk home from the patisserie i smelled someone grilling burgers and was very relieved they're my dinner plan for the night. Otherwise, i'd have been exceedingly jealous.

Bikram this morning....crossfit this evening. Then it's burger time. :D

Ahhh, the feeling of Almost Friday. Although i work most days, without much regard for whether it's a weekday or weekend, there's still something special about Friday & Saturday. A little extra leeway to slack off and move at a leisurely pace. I guess i absorb all the weekend-y vibes surrounding me.

This weekend would also mark the last one of this whole15. But, i've decided it's not quite time to say goodbye. Instead, i'll be continuing this log and continuing to eat whole30, though i'll allow exceptions from time to time (especially on future weekends, so i get a weekend-y treat too, even when i have to work.)

True, it's not all that different from how i've been eating since finishing up a no-cheat-or-treat January whole30. But i enjoy the exercise and like the outside accountability to ensure i keep any naughty foods to an absolute minimum (most will be "primal" approved--basically, i'm thinking weekend wine & dark chocolate and will otherwise keep it clean). Oh, and on the rare occasions i eat out, i'll make good-faith efforts to stick with the plan without trying to obsessively micro-manage the menu or my meal.

Meanwhile, this whole15 is still on...and today's Thursday-going-on-Friday meals went this way:

Meal 1: sardines wrapped in bibb lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sliced green hot peppers, walnuts & olives; paired with coconut-milk stovetop espresso and sparkling water with lime

Meal 2: 6-egg omelette with mushrooms and red onions (half for me); freshly prepared homemade salsa (chopped tomatoes, parsley, red onion, squeezed lime, EVOO); avocado; thin slices of smoked salmon; paired with sparkling water with lime.

happy almost-friday, all!

dinner with dad = best efforts but still broken rules. didn't eat the bread, but not gonna lie, there was chocolate and god-knows-what in the sauce.

staying strictly w30 was definitely way easier when i was living alone, thousands of miles away (on the other hand, i really missed my dad).

still, tonite i'll comfort myself with the fact that i've been mostly w30 for months (years, even, though i didn't used to have a name for it).

plus, did a round of bikram today and crossift class. and a half-hour brisk walk back from dinner.

so guess i've pretty much failed this whole15. (but maybe it's because i didn't take it entirely seriously, seeing as i eat w30 nearly every day anyway...not out of force, but out of total preference & choice).

happy weekend, ya'll.

dreary work-y saturday today....lots of clouds and drizzle and typing and such.

meals were good but pretty usual (involved eggs, hamburgers, avocado, salad stuff).

but i did make a fast & furious batch of whipped sweet potatoes (rarely eat potatoes, so felt dessertish and very filling and good). added in some coconut milk & EVOO, plus dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, & cayenne. very nice side for my burgers.

yum. even cloudy saturdays are delicious.

Yay--very first rope climb today! (only after reaching the ceiling did i realise i had no clue how to get down....and now have some rope burn to show for it.)

The rest of CF was pretty fun too. Lots of turkish getups, goblet squats, pull-ups and such. I really enjoy TGUs (seriously).

Earlier in the day, i sweated out some weekend toxins at bikram. Feeling much better now.

To fuel all this fun, i started my day as usual, with a coconut-milk-and-MCT-oil stovetop espresso (or two).

Then, post-Sweat Fest, i ate a plate of (sugar-free) smoked salmon, cheery tomatoes, sliced hot peppers, olives, and broccolini leftover from last night--using bibb lettuce as my lunchtime utensil once again...making for sushi-like action; paired with sparkling water.

Tonite, for TGU-recovery, i'll be enjoying bbq chicken thighs (presently soaking up a quick marinade of EVOO, fresh garlic, cinnamon, cayenne, chili powder & cumin), accompanied by a salad, half an avocado, and perhaps a half-handfull of blueberries for dessert; paired with sparkling water and squeezed lime.

Can't wait to try the rope again!

switched my siamese LingXu over to grain-free cat food today. found a brand she seems to like and that actually looks and smells like food. we're both very happy.

bikram was hotter and more crowded than usual tonight. totally packed with Really Sweaty People. loved it.

Meal 1 today was a mini square of leftover steak, an over-easy extra-runny egg fried in coconut oil with red onions & shrooms, and an avocado--eaten with butter lettuce wrappers, paired with coconut milk espresso and sparkling water.

Meal 2 was grilled scallops, spaghetti squash and salad--all drizzled with EVOO; paired with sparkling water & squeezed lime (lots and lots because i was seriously sweated out).

Day Is Done.

Yay! Tried a new lunch dish today (actually i'll be having it for dinner too--but wanted to experiment on myself before making it for my dad).

I generally prefer meals that are yummy yet super-simple (both because i don't have time, interest, or abundant ability for cooking up complicated meals, and because i just genuinely enjoy dishes composed of good, basic ingredients that marry well together and taste clean and amazing).

So today tried out these Baked Eggs in Portabella Caps from Whole-Food-Half-Ass: http://wholefoodhalf...breakfast-baked

I made a couple of changes...drizzled EVOO on top before baking & sprinkled them with fresh rosemary.

Came out looking a bit more chaotic than Half-Ass's version. But was a delicious lunch all the same.

To go with: started with mixed greens & baby spinach drizzled with EVOO; then ate the Egg-Caps together with avocado & sliced tomatoes, plus sparkling water with lime, of course, and finished with a stovetop espresso.

Very, very good.

Helped me recover from last night's Stone Hoisting & Squatting at CF, and prepare for this evening's bikram 30-day challenge--Day 3.

I just caught up with your W15 efforts! Nice job! You've inspired me to add my workouts to my W30 log. I'm generally pretty laid back with my programming and tracking, so logging workouts and nutrition at the same time in the same place might help! :D

I really like your espresso with coconut milk and MCT oil idea. I reset my W30 earlier this week after day 22 because I downed a mug (or two) of bulletproof coffee with unsalted butter. How much coconut milk and MCT do you add? Do you blend it or just stir? Also, can MCT oil be found locally, or do you order yours online?

Take care, and keep up the good work!

I just caught up with your W15 efforts! Nice job! You've inspired me to add my workouts to my W30 log. I'm generally pretty laid back with my programming and tracking, so logging workouts and nutrition at the same time in the same place might help! :D

I really like your espresso with coconut milk and MCT oil idea. I reset my W30 earlier this week after day 22 because I downed a mug (or two) of bulletproof coffee with unsalted butter. How much coconut milk and MCT do you add? Do you blend it or just stir? Also, can MCT oil be found locally, or do you order yours online?

Take care, and keep up the good work!

hey Jim--thanks for checking out my log!

i too am very lax when it comes to tracking workout efforts. Even at CF, i rarely run up and record my results on the Big Whiteboard like we're supposed to. I guess i just like focusing more on what i'm feeling in my body-mind and "tracking" change at that level--probably some sort of Yogi-Meets-CF phenomenon.

But i felt it important to at least touch on my physical activity here, alongside all the food stuff. It has such a big impact on what i crave and how much i eat, after all. Plus, i just like presenting a fuller picture. I mean, life is way bigger than food and what we're having next.

As for BPC--yay! I'm so hooked--although i really, truly hope to one day break my coffee habit again. Even then though, i'll stick with the coconut milk & MCT oil. I do a very slapdash version--just add spoonfuls and barely bother to stir. But I actually suspect the official whipped version is spectacular....maybe eventually. Meanwhile, it's stovetop espresso using one of those silver metal contraptions plus 1 tsp MCT oil, plus 1-2 Tbs of Native Forest Organic Unsweetened coconut milk. I've used ghee in a pinch (when out of coconut milk)--it reminds me of "butter tea" i drank years ago in mongolia. Both are good, but i find the coconut milk lighter and more perfect. I don't go nearly so heavy on the fats and oils as some do--i think if i did, i wouldn't want to eat my first meal a couple hours later.

As for MCT sourcing, i ordered online from NOW foods for two reasons: 1. cheaper, 2. i really, really like consuming things kept in glass rather than plastic (especially fats&oils).

Finally, you're from Portland. How cool! Oregon is my intended next home in a year, though Portland might be too big.

smiles.

wish i could change the title of this log to: wholeLife

i mean the 15 days have come & gone. They weren't totally in the clear (unlike my "real" whole30 back in jan), but pretty close. And this is just how i like to live and eat anymore. So there's no end destination anytime soon. I think the "real" whole30 is largely to thank for that:)

that being said, tonite was a cheat-nite (though cheat-nites are almost always fully "primal", including this one--basically, there was very dark chocolate to be had). i wish i could also cheat with cheese (also "primal", esp'ly the type i'd buy), but for me cheese turns into a feel-like-shit day after. So i try to hold out.

Tonite's dinner was pretty good: grilled salmon doused in lemon, half an avocado doused in lime, salad with EVOO, and sparkling water (i've decided that, however extravagant & really totally wasteful, i'm allowing myself the sparkling for now).

It followed a day with late-morning bikram and late-afternoon/early-evening CF. Super-cardio day on the CF Front. Did a lot of rowing and jumping and burpees. Then an abs tabata & a 5-min squat test (which wasn't really a problem for me, because i squat like all the time and live pretty close to the ground in daily life--thank goodness, otherwise i'd've been in serious pain). Finished off on my own with a few handstand pushups (yea-ah!).

Start again tomorrow: Study, Work, Eat, Play, Cuddle.

Sounds like a great plan for the day Dana.

Love your log, and handstand push-ups? impressive!

Can I ask something I was curious about, why do you bold some phrases? I like it :)

thanks, Dervalc! yes, the handstand pushups felt like a fun--and surprising--accomplishment. i've done handstands for years on account of yoga, but didn't even realise i could do a pushup in that position til last night. i felt like a toddler who's just surprised himself by doing his first somersault.

as for the bold (ha), i'm not sure why. i guess it helps me focus on where i've gone & where i'm going when logging :rolleyes:

Finally, you're from Portland. How cool! Oregon is my intended next home in a year, though Portland might be too big.

I've been all over the States for work, and while most areas have something incredibly cool to hang their hat on, the sheer variety in landscape and climate available in Oregon are second to none. I love it here and don't plan to move. It's beautiful country, whether you want ocean beaches, temperate rain forests, rugged mountains, rivers and lakes of all sizes, fertile rural valleys, or high desert plateaus. You can live in larger cities down to complete isolation with nothing around for miles. The climate can be "Stereotypical Portland" (mild and drizzly rain) to cold winters and hot summers. Also, the people around here are generally friendly whether they're city peeps or rural.

Finished off on my own with a few handstand pushups (yea-ah!).

Very impressive!! Nice job! I'm still working on my freestanding handstand progressions. They are quite challenging...

Wow...crazy busy with work & study these days, so little time for logging.

I am, however, making time to get to daily bikram classes plus crossfit 3 times a week. Did a lot of dumbbell hang squat cleans, kettlebell swings, and strict Toes-To-Bar today. Plus worked up to a 5 rep max bench press at the end. Very good stuff.

Today's meals were especially seafood-centric:

Meal 1 was canned albacore tuna mixed with chopped red onions & EVOO, accompanied by sliced red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, a few pistachios, and lots of leafy greens. The greens were particularly beautiful and fresh. I discovered them growing live, roots still on, in a tub of water in whole foods on sunday. You could still taste the life force.

Meal 2 was grilled, rare artic char (have you guys had this? it's a lot like salmon but i find it more buttery), accompanied by a big pile of steamed asparagus, a sliced & sauteed portabello mushroom, and a salad with EVOO; paired with sparkling water with lime. Simple but super-good.

Oh, and LingXu had canned, grain-free sardines & crab from AvoDerm (the "avo" comes from the avocados the brand includes in its products); paired with still water with a few kitty snacks on the side.

Another big work & study day....

Plus about to head to today's second bikram class (i know i'll be missing a day over mom's day weekend, and since we're doing a May challenge, i need to get an extra one in to make up for it). Anyway, it seriously helps my work/study focus--funny how taking all that "time out" makes me tons more productive.

Meals are on the quick & simple side as usual. The first involved leftover roast turkey breast, greens, sliced bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes--all drizzled in EVOO and chased by a half-handful of blueberries & coffee.

The second will be some sort of eggstravaganza. Either an omelette with onions and shrooms or baked eggs nested in portabello caps, possibly with some sugar-free smoked salmon alongside, probably with some roasted-pepper-no-preservative salsa picked up from whole foods, and most certainly with a side salad. And, once the second sweat-fest is thru, there will be abundant water with lime.

hmm...today's after-dinner lineup involved a bit of chocolate & wine. but otherwise the day (and week) were in the clear.

ate fairly cool, light meals today: #1 was canned albacore tuna mixed with EVOO, red onions, & cayenne; eaten with crispy lettuce-leaf wrappers along with an avocado & cherry tomatoes. #2 looked much the same, but with sugar-free smoked salmon instead of tuna.

i did two bikram classes today (one about a half-hour before each meal), so was in the mood for that sort of thing (unlike yesterday, when i did crossfit immediately followed by bikram, both in the evening...leaving me ready to make short work of 2.5 burgers).

tomorrow i'm celebrating mom's day with my mom. she's been mostly primal the past 2 months (after seeing how i eat and liking the effects on herself!) and whole30 whenever i visit. she's lost weight, feels great, and is super-excited about it all. so i'm guessing dinner will be whole30-A-Okay.

happy weekend, ya'll.

Bought my mom the Primal Blueprint Cookbook for mom's day. She was super-psyched to try out a whack of recipes (and she, unlike me, is a super-stellar cook).

We went to mother's day lunch yesterday and both had the same: burger topped with onions & mushrooms, subbing romaine lettuce for the bun. So freaking good.

She then made grilled steaks for dinner, sided by the chop salad from WellFed and sauteed portabello mushrooms & onions.

My mom isn't following the w30 version of primal eating that i do most of the time, but she's eating somewhere between w30 & primal (ala Marks Daily Apple)--sort of like my "weekend eating". She's lost 10lbs over the past month (and is definitely not depriving herself when it comes to food & drink). And she's talking about buying new clothes because hers no longer fit.

Making all this even greater--i totally didn't "push" my way of eating on her. I simply let her know what i was eating these days. She tried it when cooking for me during visits, read WellFed, was happy with the food, decided to stick with it, and loves the results. So good.

Happy M day!

Yay! Added a new dish to my daily rotation last night: sauteed shrimp in tomato-basil sauce atop steaming yellow spaghetti squash noodles, served on square aqua-blue plates alongside a fresh green salad, paired with sparkling water with lemon.

Nothing too crazy, for sure. And i've made a more involved rendition before with homemade grassfed meatballs, heirloom tomato sauce that simmered all afternoon, and julienned "noodles" crafted one-by-one from yellow zucchini squash, served alongside a salad and homemade cilantro-walnut pesto.

But that past project took about two hours longer than the half-hour generally allotted for dinner prep. And being very busy lately, my meals have gone from simple to simplest. So i was particularly pleased with last night's outcome. It went this way:

Sliced the small spaghetti squash in half, drizzled it with EVOO, and stuck it on Bake at 400 for 25.

I usually make the dinner salad when i make and eat lunch, so that was good to go; just added a little EVOO.

Poured half a jar of Cucina Artica tomato-basil sauce in a stovetop pan to simmer (found this at Whole Foods; just tomatos, onions, basil, salt, pepper, EVOO--that's it; no sugar!)

Still, sauce from a jar seems rather sad, so i sauteed some sliced portabellos and chopped garlic up in a flash and threw them in the sauce pot.

Then dumped the raw but shelled, deveined shrimps into the same saute pan with a little more EVOO. Tended them carefully for a few minutes--turning and tossing the lot to make sure everyone got orangey but not tough.

At that point, the squash was done, so i scraped the yellow "noodles" straight onto the plates in steaming piles. Topped the noodles with bubbling sauce, placed some shrimp on top, and dinner was good to go.

so....today was a Big Day.

First, a bit of background: i recently completed a 5-year Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine programme in canada (at age 37 finishing my second graduate-school education). Then passed the (especially stringent) BC licensing exams. But now, back in the states, have to pass their licensing exams before i can practice here. Two down today--in two cities on no sleep (pass, pass--yes!).

the day's food intake was a breakfast of fried eggs, a lunch of a tiny piece of roasted turkey and some pistachios (can't eat much when i'm stressed), and a dinner of home-delivery sushi (so indulgent rice treat, along with soy sauce) and, yes, wine and chocolate.

Big day. Ended with big cheats.

But back on the wagon tomorrow and have a big week of No study and lots of CF and Bikram classes planned.

Well, i have to say, even though my cheats are looking less and less cheaty (i.e., they're usually "MDA-primal"), i still feel just as shitty the day after. Physically, mentally, emotionally. And i look like crap too, adding to the gross factor exponentially. Yet still do it (usually once a weekend).

But, at least clean eating makes me feel better. And tomorrow i'll be starting the week anew.

Today's meals were light, summery, simple. Tuna for lunch, smoked salmon for dinner. Each eaten wrapped in leaves picked off a beautiful, fresh "lettuce bouquet" from whole foods. Sharing space in the wrappers: sliced yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, an olive or two, and bits of herbs plucked from the garden moments before (parsley, dill, rosemary). Lunch also included an avocado. Dinner also included some quickly sauteed kale, yellow zucchini squash, and tangy rhubarb (finally scored some at whole foods!) with bits of garden herbs added to that dish as well. Paired with sparkling water and lime.

So good. I could just feel my body balancing itself.

Archived