Whole30 and IBS

I'm going to be starting a Whole30 in the next day or two in hopes of getting my food allergy/IBS symptoms under control. Right now, the only thing I can handle for breakfast is straight low-fat protein, such as chicken or turkey. Anything else and I have an IBS attack - no veggies, no fruit, no grains. I also have to be careful about which veggies and fruit I eat at other times of the day, but don't have to leave them out completely.

I'm wondering if other IBS sufferers have found that after some time on Whole30, they can handle those veggies in the morning. What about at other times of the day? I love veggies and fruit, and would love to be able to eat more of them. I'm hoping Whole30 can help with that.

Have you looked at the FODMAP list? I have IBS/Chron's and found that most of the foods that were my triggers are FODMAPS (onions, broccoli, garlic....). For breakfast, I usually have a homemade sausage patty and sweet potatoes. I bake some sweet potatoes on Sunday and then warm them up each morning for breakfast. I can also tolerate some well cooked spinach for breakfast. I really limit my fruit, mostly pineapple and strawberries. But since I eliminated onions and Broccoli, most of my IBS symptoms have disappeared.

I agree on the FODMAPs! You also might want to review the AIP as well, I wouldn't try it before a Whole30, but if you find some foods are making you feel unwell, check them against the FODMAP & AIP lists.

If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend It Starts With Food if you have any troubles with digestion or health.

If you have trouble with fats, you might want to consider enzymes/kombuncha (live cultures - non-dairy), or even not drinking until after you've digested. Some people struggle with fats if they don't have enough stomach acid, water only dilutes it further.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking back in - I'm on day 14 of my Whole30, and have been eating mostly low-FODMAP. What a difference! Today I had my first IBS attack in 14 days, which is a record. I've never gone that many days without regular doses of Imodium. And because I've been eating so carefully, it was easy to pinpoint the cause: a Lara bar I ate out of desperation yesterday when I was unexpectedly away from home with no other food to eat.

I feel so much better that I'm not even tempted to eating something "illegal," and can easily see myself adopting a Paleo lifestyle after my Whole30 is complete. Except for today, my gut feels better than it has in years. Hooray for Whole30!

Archived