Looking for Encouragement

I have not succumbed and I know half of this is emotional and half of it is that it's Sunday so I couldn't eat much this morning and had lost my appetite at lunch time and didn't eat much other than a wrap...Paleo---  compliant...

BUT  ....   oh, I want chocolate so bad, and wine...and chocolate....oh and chocolate.....   somehow the carrots and almonds sitting here don't quite do it....   oh, well..... almost dinner time....but those leftovers don't look good, ya know?

I have found that my success on Whole30 was significantly bolstered by following the template (1-2 palms of protein, 1 fat, and vegetables).  I don't know if you like sweet potatoes, but they are outstanding with coconut butter.  You do have to shelf some of your loves at least temporarily.  If you choose to allow them back after your Whole30, they may taste all the better for a break.

Hang in there.

When I'm feeling whiny and annoyed with my food choices, I eat things that I would consider off-limits or indulgent on any other 'diet'.   A big ole grass fed burger topped with guacamole, a sweet potato dripping with buttery ghee and topped with a few chopped cranberries and macadamia nuts and a massive pile of roasted broccoli and asparagus that were tossed in duck fat prior to cooking.  Then I stick my tongue out at that chocolate and wine!  Take *THAT* deprived feeling...not feeling so deprived now, are we? ;)

No....sorry....while the burger would be devine it's not the same! LOL...but thanks so much for trying... it was just a hard day.  And a Sunday to boot--- whle I LOVE liturgy they are always hard on me physically due to fasting prior to service (though I allow myself a small bit...but not animal products before) and did get some rather disturbing news.  I did not succumb and am really proud of my husband and son for doing so well too.... almost done with day 8!

You can so do this!!!!  Congratulations on facing down the cravings!!

Yeah things can get hard.  I'm a year and half in of eating whole 30/paleo and I will feel this way somedays too. 

Make a list of things that you will feel spoiled doing that is not food related. Do one of these things while you are craving chocolate, or even feeling whiney.  It will take your mind off of whatever you need to take your mind off of.

It could be.......

doing your nails

flipping through a magazine

taking a bubble bath

taking a walk

reading a book

crafting with your kids

playing a game with your kids

Basically it could be anything that will make you a) feel better and more positive B) takes your mind off of chocolate, negative thoughts, whatever.

True story - my first whole 30 (day 9) I was in Walmart picking up some things.  I hadn't even thought of chocolate for days.  Boom.  I wanted chocolate so bad.  I couldn't even trust myself to line up at the cash because I wanted some so bad.  I had previously given myself permission to buy a magazine that piqued my interest but I knew that wasn't going to cut it.  I needed to get my mind off of the chocolate for 5 minutes.  So I poked around the jewellry section, looked at makeup, checked out mail polish.  I didn't end up buying any of those things but it worked.

So make up a game plan on what to do when you feel the way that you have been feeling. 

I think the template plan is the best way to go. And, make sure you're eating enough healthy fat. When I floundered during the W30 it was when I wasn't eating enough fat or when because of life circumstances I ended up skipping a meal. Do everything you can not to skip meals. Your first post indicated little, if any, breakfast and no appetite at lunch. In think the consistency of three meals with protein, healthy fat, and veggies is what minimized my desire to offroad. Sometimes we have to force it on ourselves and not allow a lack of appetite to rule, especially when you know you haven't esten. A sweet snack I started buying during my W30 was medjool dates. They're not chocolate, but they're pretty darn tasty and naturally sweet. Now my husband is hooked on them for dessert.

Keep on...don't give in. Thankfully, Sunday is only one of seven...and yet, Sunday is such a good day for us Christians. Maybe it's a day of thanks all around. Thanks for everything that's great about Sunday; and thanks because of your particular Sunday eating situation, there's only one in every seven. And, as you have more Monday-Saturdays, I think Sunday will get better for you.

One more thought. I don't know if this is helpful, but after the fact, I realized this: Whole30 is a great detox. But, my experience with other detoxes has been that they are for a period of time and then you finish and have a regular life again. My Whole30 now I realize, instead of just a detox, was really intense practice before the big game. And the big game, if you're willing, is the rest of your life. Don't think of it ending in 30 days. For me, my life really began in such a positive way when I started the 30-day practice. My "muscles" got sore but healed, my resolve and determination were tested, I practiced different "game plans" and best practices, and was able to apply all that discipline to my post W30 life. Now, five months and 17 pounds later, I am realizing that my Whole30 was a wonderful, empowering, new lifelong, very sustainable plan for my nutrition and health going forward. I never want to go back to wondering what I should eat, or why I'm not feeling great, or why I'm not losing weight when I work so hard at it. I have the answer and now I get to check that off my resolution and to do list and just move on with life. It's one of the best decisions I ever made. I hope you can feel so empowered also.

Ok. Sermon over. Back to my Wednesday.

Thank you for your kind words.  You have much wisdom.  I am sure we will do much better after the whole30, putting our paleo type lifestyle up a notch.... and I'll want much less sugar, etc. when it's over...but we won't be doing whole30 forever...  life just won't allow it.  I'm sure people on here would disagree with that but I'm not willing to put whole30 living over stress....and the fact is, lving whole30 while on vacation with family, etc. and our general lifestyle would be by far too stressful.  We will certainly, as we have the past 8 years, have a much much healthier daily diet than the average amercian and be much healthier though... and that's the goal.

Archived