SDM/HRM recommendation

LadyM

• Moderators

I'm training for a half marathon on my own (too late to join run camp) and am interested in getting a good heart rate monitor that also monitors speed and distance, specifically mileage rather than steps. Can anyone recommend a decent one that won't break the bank?

Thank you!

hey welcome back Lady M! Do you have a smartphone? I have been using a bluetooth HRM for the past year or more, and really like that. I have the wahoo one, but I think polar makes one too. The nice thing about it is that you can try lots of different apps and get one that works best for you. I tried a bunch and prefer Digifit, but I'm not running, so there might be a better one for that purpose. The app uses GPS to track your movement (I only use that when biking) so you can look at a map of where you went and your speed, distance and altitude in addition to the heart rate info. You can set it to give you audible cues whenever you move into a different heart rate zone, I'm not sure if it can do the same for pace, but probably?

• Moderators

Thanks, MM! It's great to be back, I must say! Great to see you still going like gangbusters, and a mod now, to boot. Sweet! I spent some time catching up with your log over the weekend, and I admire your spirit and dedication. I especially love the way you go about it. You're a real role model for that, even more than for your terrific weight loss and fitness gains (which, of course, are awesome!).

I also appreciate this suggestion. I'm interested mostly in the SRM to track mileage while I'm running so I can just take off on a run, wander wherever I like, and still get in the right distance for that day's training. Also, I figured the hrm part would help with pacing now that I'm taking it outside and off the dreadmill. I ended up ordering a Gamin 110 after reading consumers report. I should be able to use it on my bike, too, so hooray for that.

The promise of spring and outdoor play that doesn't require skis is so life affirming for we Midwestern Great Lakes folks, isn't it?

Archived