Jess's First Whole30

jdthomps4

Well, I technically started last Wednesday, but I hadn't really read into the Whole30, until Tuesday and was afraid I would fail before I could even begin.  So I set my start date to Saturday.  Thank goodness I was able to read the Timeline or I would have given up a long time ago.  The headaches that I had on days 3-4 were horrendous.  I wanted to die or at least thought that there is no way this can be worth it.  

Then Saturday, my roommate wanted to go to Houilhans.  I had it all planned out, I can get the steak and the asparagus.  Well, turns out, they cook their asparagus in canola/veggie oil blend, but it was still better than the alternative of butter soaked green beans.  So, I started officially yesterday.  

I have learned that Larabars will be the downfall of me.  Those things are sinfully delicious.  I can no longer keep them around, because when I am bored or even think of being hungry, those are all I think of.  So, I have completely rid my apartment of them and keep one in my car, in case of emergency, but feel that really isn't necessary.

I ran Saturday morning, and I must say, it was the first time I was actually able to get past Week 5, Day 1 of C25k trainer.  I want to be able to run for half an hour (5k) consistently.  Then eventually maybe add on more mileage.  I would love to afford cross fit, but it is VERY expensive. :( 

I am excited for the Whole30.  I have a lot I hope to accomplish by completing the Whole30.  I have a lot of digestive issues (mainly diarrhea, then occasional constipation) that I am hoping will clear up.  I want to lose excess pounds that I have slowly gained since having a desk (sedentary) job.  I am constantly blowing my nose and getting sinus infections and the doctors just say it is non-allergenic seasonal rhinitis.  I have used neti-pots, nasal steroids, allergy meds and nothing has worked (so even if Whole30 doesn't help with that, i won't be too disappointed).  I also need to have a better relationship with food.  Need to understand that food and alcohol are not coping mechanisms.  I need out of that vicious cycle.  

So, yes, I have big dreams for Whole30.  I am hoping that the worst part (the headaches and fatigue) are over.  That was pretty much awful.  

I am looking forward to trying new foods.  I am pretty picky, but I am up to trying anything.  Last night, I created a beef stew with lots and lots of veggies in it...  never had turnip or parsnip before... they are very tasty in stew!  :)

A few closing words before I go for today,  I just want to thank Melissa and Dallas (and the whole Whole9 and Whole30 teams) for creating this program and all the time and effort they have put forth to help save so many people.  The testimonials are absolutely amazing!

Cheers,

Jessica

I have learned that Larabars will be the downfall of me.  Those things are sinfully delicious.  I can no longer keep them around, because when I am bored or even think of being hungry, those are all I think of.  So, I have completely rid my apartment of them and keep one in my car, in case of emergency, but feel that really isn't necessary.

Smart move. I had to do the same with dried fruit. I just can't pace myself. Best of luck to you!

Day 2

Meal 1 - beef/veggie stew over garlic mashed cauliflower

Meal 2 - coconut chicken and a big salad with a coconut cream pie larabar

Snack - cashew cookie larabar (see, downfall... Not buying anymore!)

Meal 3 - coconut shrimp fried in coconut oil with mango pineapple purée and heirloom carrot salad with citrus vinaigrette

All delish!! Just gotta get those damned larabar outta my head!! Lol

Wooo! no Larabars yesterday!!!  :D

I even got a run in, which went really well.  Luckily the weather was 70 degrees and sunny here, but today we hit our high of 40 degrees around midnight and are expecting 1-3" of snow.  UGH!  So ready for winter to be over!!

Anyway, yesterday for day Day 3(6)  went better than I thought.  I finally slept better last night too.  So, I am feeling more chipper than normal this morning.  Hahaha.  Downside, my face is breaking out something fierce! Eeeek!!! I hate that side effect.  

Scheduled Meals today:

meal 1 - coconut chicken with side salad and Tessmae's Italian dressing

meal 2 - beef stew with garlic mashed cauliflower

meal 3 - coconut shrimp fried in coconut oil with an heirloom carrot salad and citrus vinaigrette

I think i am going to have to make more than a few things for a week... either greatly downsize recipes or make freezer friendly ones.  It is just me eating, and most cookbooks/recipes are for 4-6 servings.   :mellow:

It is all a learning process and I am loving the journey I am on.  ^_^

Today went okay.  I was feeling blue.  Very blue for some reason.  I had no will to work out (which I forced myself to do).  I ate a larabar.  I know i only ate the stupid thing for comfort.  Sigh.  Kind of disappointed in myself.  

Other than the compliant larabar, all meals stayed the course!

Successful Day 7 (4).

I think tomorrow instead of food, I shall reward myself with getting my eyebrows waxed! :)

Cheers all!

Been a few days.  Things are trucking along. I am nervous about this weekend,  I am going to my parent's house to puppy sit for the weekend.  I usually overeat and graze a lot while I'm there.  Plus, I do that on a normal weekend anyway, so.... Hopefully I can stay strong.  My meals are lacking a little excitement, so this weekend, I am hoping to re-energize myself and try some new things.  

I am in a yoga class on Thursdays at lunch time and I must say... I thoroughly look forward to going.  I am going to talk to my boss and see if I can't start going on Mondays too.  

Anywho... Looking forward to finishing up my first week on the program and ready to start feeling amazing.  I feel like I have to tell myself I am feeling amazing.  But really... I just feel like I am struggling a lot.  My resolve is going by the wayside.  

Hopefully this weekend will make me feel more upbeat about what I am doing.

Keep on keeping on.

Cheers,

Jessica

Its been a while since I have been on here.  I'm pushing through.  I am really struggling with not eating between meals.  It is almost as if all I think about is food.  I can't stop thinking about food.  I don't know how to overcome it.  I don't want to eat anything unhealthy, like candy or pop... but I think about apples and almond butter or I think about just eating my next meal.  I am really struggling with timing of meals, because i get up so early in the morning and am gone for 11 hours.  So, technically I should be eating supper when I want to be working out.  Then, by the time I get to supper, I'm starving.  I don't want to eat too much... and gain weight from eating too much...  I eat 3 hard boiled eggs before I workout, but sometimes that isn't enough and I feel my workout suffers from being hungry.  I am overly frustrated.  I have a very boring job, so it is hard to take my mind off of food, when I am just bored.  I am still getting a very bad 2 pm slump.  Like falling asleep at my desk sort of slump.  My sleep still isn't consistent.  It is getting better, but after 1:30 am until my alarm at 5:00 is very in and out.  I go to bed at 9 pm.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful. 

Hi!  I'm so happy to come across your page!  I started Whole 30 last Thursday so i'm on Day 6 and like you I had pretty horrible headaches the first 5 days.  Luckily they are starting to go away!  Kind of makes me scared to have sugar or any of the other things we can't have!  I too started this because I have a lot of stomach/digestive issues and so far i already feel better and hope you are too!

3 meals a day was a pretty hard concept for me because i was used to having 3 small meals and 2 snacks.  Eating large amounts of vegetables/protein and fat was a difficult transition so I hope you are doing better with everything.

I won't lie the only thing I day dream about is an iced coffee with tons of cream haha!  It's normal to day dream about things you are used to but that's why we write on here to have support.  

Also one last thing...I've been doing the same with my sleep pattersn!  I go to bed 9:30 and at 1AM i wake up and cant fall back to sleep for like and hour or two so my whole day i kind of feel out of it.  I work a desk job so sitting all day is also difficult!

Hi!  I'm so happy to come across your page!  I started Whole 30 last Thursday so i'm on Day 6 and like you I had pretty horrible headaches the first 5 days.  Luckily they are starting to go away!  Kind of makes me scared to have sugar or any of the other things we can't have!  I too started this because I have a lot of stomach/digestive issues and so far i already feel better and hope you are too!

3 meals a day was a pretty hard concept for me because i was used to having 3 small meals and 2 snacks.  Eating large amounts of vegetables/protein and fat was a difficult transition so I hope you are doing better with everything.

I won't lie the only thing I day dream about is an iced coffee with tons of cream haha!  It's normal to day dream about things you are used to but that's why we write on here to have support.  

Also one last thing...I've been doing the same with my sleep pattersn!  I go to bed 9:30 and at 1AM i wake up and cant fall back to sleep for like and hour or two so my whole day i kind of feel out of it.  I work a desk job so sitting all day is also difficult!

I am totally with you!  I am used to snacking between meals.  I suppose I needed some tough love!    http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/   

I am hoping it gets better soon, because I literally feel like a crazy person!

I RAN 2 FULL MILES WITHOUT WALKING LAST NIGHT!!!!!! FIRST TIME SINCE I HAD KNEE SURGERY ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO!!!!!!

Oh em G!  I am pretty stoked about that.  I am thinking things are finally turning around for me.  I am definitely not giving up, that is for sure.  

This morning, I got out of bed and did my 7 minute circuit twice through, instead of just laying in bed watching the news until I have to get in the shower.  I am feeling more upbeat and energized and actually made it to work without almost falling asleep.  Another step in the right direction. 

I am going to have to figure out something to eat on my way to work though.  Because I am starving by the time I get there. 

Phew.  I'll be excited when I can finally find a comfortable routine to be in!

:)

I posted this to http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10302-prepost-workout-meal-suggestions/

But I really want to be get a solid answer and help back on this....

I am going to jump into this thread as well.  I work out before I get in the shower in the morning, then run after work.  But my workout in the morning is just simply a 7 minute circuit I run through twice. i sweat for it, but I am not sure if I should eat after this 14 minutes.  I just don't want to end up eating too much and gaining weight, since I am taking this lifestyle on to lose weight and become healthier.  Right now... here is the schedule I follow:

5 am - 14 minute circuit

7 am - get to work and eat meal 1

12 pm - eat meal 2

4 pm - eat 3 hard boiled eggs (on my way home from work)

5 pm - work out (hour to hour and a half)

6:30 - eat meal 3

Do I need to extra pre and post workout meals?  There is no way I can get anything in before I workout at 5 am, because I literally do the workout in my pajamas beside my bed.  I can eat something small on my way to work, then push my Meal 1 back a bit... 

Any help would be awesome!  :)

Good afternoon...  I am not really sure why I am writing on this thing anymore... I don't think anyone reads it or really cares.  lol.  Just my honest opinion.  There are too many far tooo exciting posts to read.  

Same ole same here, just hungry for chocolate and hoping that my boundless energy comes soon! :)

Cheers,

Jessica

I've decided, I need to stop being so negative.  I really need to come up with a positive every day. So... Today on my 12th day of Whole30, I wholly resolve to become more positive about my experience and just keep writing on here, because it is good for the soul!  :D

My meals for the past few days, have been delicious!  Simple, but delicious!  Sunday - I made a batch of prosciutto wrapped frittata cups (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins) Oh man!  They have been amazing this week!

Monday night I made a Chicken and Broccoli casserole (http://lisaekus.com/fall-2013/quick-easy-paleo-comfort-foods/ - recipe below the muffin recipe).  I am usually not a big fan of curry, but thought I would try something new... It was perfect and comforting and just what i needed on the cold night we had!  

Then Tuesday night I made the SB&J Burger (Well Fed 2), but made it with Almond butter instead.  Yet again, something I would have never thought of trying and it was delicious!

So meals for the past few days:

Day 9 

Meal 1 - (3) frittata cups

Meal 2 - turkey burger with steamed frozen blend of carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli

Pre-Workout - (3) hard boiled eggs

Meal 3 - chicken and broccoli casserole

Workout - 30 minute incline interval on treadmill with Day 17 of Abs, Buns, and Guns Challenge

Day 10

Meal 1 - chicken and broccoli casserole leftovers

Meal 2 - chicken breast marinated in chili lime marinade (http://angieanew.com/easy-chili-lime-chicken-marinade/) with steamed broccoli and apple with almond butter

Pre-workout - (3) hard boiled eggs

Meal 3 - AB&J Burger with steamed cauliflower

Workout included - 2 mile run with Day 18 of Abs, Buns, and Guns challenge 

Day 11 

Meal 1 - 3 frittata cups with grapefruit

Meal 2 - turkey burger with steamed blend of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots

Preworkout - Cashew Cookie Larabar (didn't have time to make HB eggs)

Meal 3 - leftover chicken and broccoli casserole

Workout - subpar - wasn't feeling it - but completed 15 minute walk on treadmill and Day 19 of ABG challenge

Cheers,

Jessica

Good morning, Whole9 World! 

Day 12

Post workout - had 1 egg to hold me over until I got to work

Meal 1 - 3 frittata cups with mixed fruit

Meal 2 - chicken breast (marinated in chili lime marinade) with steamed broccoli (ghee and garlic seasoning)

Preworkout - 3 HBE

Meal 3 - AB&J Burger with steamed cauliflower

Workout - 14 minute circuit before morning shower

- yoga at lunch                

-felt pretty stellar finished 3 miles with Week 6 Day 1 C25k trainer (run/walk intervals) and Day 20 of the ABG challenge

I felt pretty good most of yesterday.  They had a HUGE breakfast buffet at work for the first day of spring... and I avoided eating any of it (eggs from a carton  :wacko: , bacon cured with sugar  <_< , biscuits and canned gravy) the bacon is about the only thing that would have gotten me. but luckily I was smart enough to have my prosciutto wrapped frittata muffins!  :D  Go me!! 

I am still needing some insight, feedback on my post from March 19 (about when to plan meals, if I need more, etc.)  I am feeling pretty tired still, but I keep pushing through hoping that someday soon, I'll get the boundless energy.

But my positives, I am a LOT less bloated, hardly any gas or digestive discomfort (minus some heartburn) and I seem to be more focused on my runs.  

As always, any feedback is always appreciated. 

Oh!  I did impress my mom yesterday, because they had Jolly Rancher jelly beans at the first day of spring breakfast and had them out all day, and I didn't eat one.  Now, I understand for most of you, jelly beans seems like they wouldn't be hard to resist, but for me, around Easter, those darn Starburst and Jolly Rancher jelly beans are my downfall.  I can eat a whole bag without batting an eye, and I didn't eat a SINGLE one yesterday!! 

happy friday! 

cheers,

jessica

Oh!  I did impress my mom yesterday, because they had Jolly Rancher jelly beans at the first day of spring breakfast and had them out all day, and I didn't eat one.  Now, I understand for most of you, jelly beans seems like they wouldn't be hard to resist, but for me, around Easter, those darn Starburst and Jolly Rancher jelly beans are my downfall.  I can eat a whole bag without batting an eye, and I didn't eat a SINGLE one yesterday!! 

Psshhh, I FULLY understand the sacrifice you made. Jolly Rancher jelly beans are like crack! Way to go!

Also I don't think you should worry about overdoing vegetables. About how many cups are you having per meal? The amount of starchy veggies you put in there also makes a difference for many people as far as satiety and energy go. The template recommends a minimum of 1-3 cups per meal, but if you're still hungry, feed yourself!

I just saw your log today -- caught my eye because I'm on my first whole30 as well (but only on day 5).

Nice work avoiding the jellybeans!!

I'm assuming there is no such thing as too many veggies, as long as we follow the template and are satisfied till the next meal?

Thanks for posting your story! Even if you feel like sometimes no one is reading, it is helpful to people like me to read what is and isn't working for other people!

Sadly, this past weekend, I failed miserably at sticking to my guns with the Whole30.  I was out with my besties and we ended up at a Mexican restaurant and all my resolve was lost when they were all ordering margaritas and I had a water ( :mellow: ).  Sadly I could take the no fun zone anymore.  While I stopped at one, they continued on and I inevitably stayed DD.  I know I am kicked out of the Whole30.  I am not restarting my 30 days.  But during my 2.5 week adventure I have learned more about myself and how powerful our minds truly are about cravings and sugar.  I will continue to eat in a 'paleo' manner, but when allow myself more freedom when I am out with my friends and understand that I don't have to have 5 margaritas to have 'fun.'  I can actually stop at 1 and not hate myself the next day for overindulging and feel gross, bloated, and hungover.  

I am more aware of what I put into my mouth and I more than likely will not being putting any food into my mouth that has any ingredients that I cannot pronounce.  I am truly thankful for the insight that the Whole30 program has given me and maybe sometime in the future I will revisit the idea of actually completing my full 30 days.  

Keep on keeping on, all you badasses!  :D

Archived