Hyaena W30 Log

hyaena

On day one I woke up abruptly from a sub-par sleep by my alarm and didn't exactly spring from bed.  It took about 5 minutes to muster the gumption to get out of bed and get dressed.  I walked the dogs 1.7 kms before breakfast while munching on a handful of almonds for some energy.  I had steak and eggs for breakfast and will have a garden salad with a white balsamic vinaigrette with a baked chicken breast for lunch.  After lunch we usually walk another 2.5 kms.

Day 2

I finished the day walking 8.5kms spread over 5 walks. My wife made a goulash type beef dish with tons of vegetables for supper, followed later by a berry and coconut milk smoothie. I have some neck pain from exercises last night but I seem to have OK energy considering it's a bit more than I usually walk. All in all a pretty good day one!

Welcome to the Whole30! A couple of things I noticed that I wanted to mention to help you get the best possible results from your experience. Our recommended food template involves protein, fat, and vegetables at all 3 of your meals. It appears your first meal was lacking vegetables. 

Smoothies are not recommended for a W30 and this one in particular because of the timing and contents screams of a dessert replacement to me. 

Smoothies: We'd rather you didn't

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn't getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it's had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we'd rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.m5CvwxRO.dpuf

Day 3

Today was great for energy until I got home from work and thought about doing the chores I had set out to for the day. I had a nap much longer than a power nap but I felt much better after without feeling too hungover. I'm starting to get the bulk of my walking in for the dogs' last walk of the day to get over 6kms on the day. I might have to monitor that as it could be affecting how I fall asleep at night. I stayed away from the smoothy today and added some peppers to my eggs (it's a start!)

Breakfast: Eggs with chopped up bell peppers and Zucchini

Lunch: Leftover Turkey patties and broccoli

Supper: Cut up some steaks and made a stir-fry with lots of veggies and spread it on cauliflour

Mood and Energy: Crashed in the late afternoon and slept for 90+ minutes up til supper

Exercise: Walked 7.6 kms throughout the day (I always track my walks with Cardiotrainer, which i highly recommend)

Rest: Watched The Voice and fast forwarded through all the mushy stuff. Just sing please!

Day 4

I noticed today that I haven't been clearing my throat as much today (this is a long standing habit that had gotten worse on days 1 through 3). I was still fairly achy in my joints (shoulders and a bit in my hips) when I woke up. Energy was good through the day until I got home from work and I felt like I reallllly needed a nap. I didn't give in today and sat down for about 20 minutes with a dog on my lap and just chilled out 'til it passed. Went for a walk a bit sooner in the evening (around 7:30) so the sun was still up. I exercised as soon as I got home from the walk and settled down for the night after. I didn't get into bed and fall asleep until after midnight so we'll see what my update says about energy levels tomorrow.......

Breakfast: 3 eggs with bell pepper with a coffee and coconut milk

Lunch: Spinach garden salad (no dressing, I don't mind!), a ripe avocado and home made pork patties

Supper: Chicken tenders with almonds crust fried in coconut oil and sweet potato fries (also fired in coconut oil)

Mood and Energy: Woke up before my alarm but took 15 minutes to get up. A bit foggy for the first 30 minutes after getting up. Wanted to nap but rested for 20 minutes in a lazy boy instead

Exercise: Walked 7.4 kms throughout the day. 10 sets switching between lower weight bicep curls (with an EZ curl bar) and beginners planking

Rest: Watched yet another hockey game and hung out with my family

Day 5

It was hard getting up today. Alarm woke me up but I turned it off and stayed in bed. I've never used the snooze button so I just woke up 25 minutes later and had to hustle to get back on time. We had a shorter walk than usual and then had breakfast. The day went fairly normal until we got home and I took a lonnngg nap. Supper was amazing and we had our final walk by the ocean. Looking forward to a great sleep (fingers crossed) tonight and tomorrow will be the challenge of the weekend!

Breakfast: 3 eggs with bell pepper with a coffee and coconut milk. Left over pork patties

Lunch: Spinach garden salad (no dressing), leftover chicken tenders

Supper: Steak with fried mushrooms. zucchini and mushrooms. Also a bit of fried sweet potato

Mood and Energy: Energy was ok once I got going, but I took an almost two hour nap when I got home. I guess the best word for it is placid as far as mood goes.

Exercise: Walked 8.2 kms throughout the day.

Rest: Watched a few episodes of a Sitcom and wrote in my blog

Day 6

Got up at 6am to walk and feed the dogs to keep them on schedule. Laid down again after 10 and dozed and relaxed. Felt like a "hump day" today, but I'm pretty sure 6 days isn't half of 30.....I had to take some Tylenol as my neck pain got too much to bare. This would be mostly from the yard work I think.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms. Coffee and coconut milk.

Lunch: salad withnewpork parties with jalapeño

Supper: baked lemon salmon with steamed cauliflower and carrots

Mood and Energy: I had some cranky moments in the afternoon and had to rest more than once while working in the yard.

Exercise: Walked 9.7 kms throughout the day and did vigorous yard work

Rest: I went back to bed for a quick rest at 10am. Played some ball with the dogs in the playroom

Day 7

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on a hash of chopped veggies and pork patties. Coffee and coconut milk.

Lunch: Failed here after my nap before we went shopping..... Two tomatoes cut up

Supper: Hamburgers and salad with olive oil.  A few strawberries and raspberries a little after supper

Mood and Energy: Tired enough to have a nap. 

Exercise: Walked 7.8 kms throughout the day

Rest: A nap at noon and Amazing Race before our last walk

Day 8

Today was a bit of a write off.  I didn't cheat or anything, but I did have an incident that set me back with both my exercise and sleeping pattern.  I'm feeling 1000 times better and tomorrow is another day!

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and zucchini inside.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: two small beef patties with a salad and white balsamic vinaigrette.  3/4 of an avocado 

Supper:   Chicken broth and mashed sweet potatoes

Mood and Energy:  Fine until the afternoon when I had an "event" that sapped me of all energy.  Ended up laying down for 90 minutes?? not sure

Exercise: Walked 4.2 kms throughout the day.  No walks after the afternoon

Rest:   went to bed at 2200h asleep by 2300h

Day 9

Today went much better than yesterday and i re-started the fish oil and and magnesium.  I got all of my walks in and skipped the nap I felt like I needed around 4pm.  I feel like I can get through these low energy patches and feel like I may be getting to a point where I won't have them anymore.  The snack I had when I got home is making me think that I may not be getting enough to eat at lunch.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and zucchini inside.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Two small turkey patties, two strips bacon and a spinach garden salad with white balsamic vinaigrette

Snack: 3 or 4 cabbage rolls (beef and cauliflower)

Supper: Steak Strips over cauliflower, carrots and broccoli

Mood and Energy:  Not too bad today.  Resisted a nap as I was still a little tired from the day before.

Exercise: Walked 8.2 kms throughout the day.   Medium level housework (there is such a thing!)  

Rest:  Walking Dead!

Day 10

Today was a pretty good day for energy and the day went by fast with several meetings at work and a Dr's appointment after.   For all the hustle and bustle I still didn't make it to bed 'til after 11pm.   I am really feeling that not having dairy is having a great effect on me.   I have way less phlegm and my throat clearing is way down.  My back/neck/shoulder pain is still there in the morning but it subsides a lot faster and I haven't taken Tylenol in days.  I skipped my workout but wil defitiely do it Thursday night.

Lunch:  Leftover cabbage rolls and a spinach garden salad with white balsamic vinaigrette

Snack: orange in the morning and a handful of raspberries in the evening

Supper: Ground turkey and veggies

Mood and Energy:  Pretty much go, go , go all day today.  Kept up fairly well.  Dozed off for 5 minutes waiting to leave for a Dr's appointment

Exercise:  Walked 7.8 kms.  Skipped my exercising and will do on Thursday

Nice progress so far - your meals, overall, look good.

If you need a snack in between your meals because you're genuinely hungry (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), we recommend having a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals.

Day 11

Went to a movie this evening which could have posed many problems.  The obvious one being how do you go to a movie without eating heinous food?  Well I'd gone to movies several times in the prior six months and usually just didn't bring snacks at all.  Or I'd bring a few squares of 90% chocolate.  Seeing as I'm doing the whole30 I bought a small bag of cashews and a small bag of raisins before the show.  Probably a little too much for the day, but live a little!

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and zucchini inside, one slice of sugar-free bacon.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Left over beef strips and raw vegetables

Supper:   Ground turkey and zucchini

Mood and Energy:    Not too bad.  Rested for about 15 minutes before going out.

Exercise:   Walked 6.1 kms

Day 12

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and zucchini inside, one slice of sugar-free bacon.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Raw vegetables and spiced tuna (canned)  5 slices of cantaloupe 

Supper:   Chicken breasts in tomato sauce and vegetables

Mood and Energy:    Walked 9.1 kms.  No workout

Exercise: walked 6.2 kms.  No work out

Day 13

Saturday was a little rough for energy.  This is a second day this week that I only walked my minimum distance.  Food was amazing today, I went back to eat the rest of lunch as a snack when I was still hungry (no fruit as a snack today!).  A lot of catching up with my TV shows and gathering my thoughts in the evening.   If I can get my sleep back on track a bit tonight, I can get some energy back on Day 14.....  

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Chicken breast and vegetables in a tomato sauce

Snack: another bowl of chicken breast and vegetables in a tomato sauce (I was still hungry from lunch)

Supper:   and spinach garden salad with home-made raspberry, strawberry vinaigrette 

Mood and Energy:    Went back to bed for 2.5 hours after walking the dogs and eating this morning 

Exercise: walked 6.4 kms.  No work out

Day 14

I took the time to do the bio I'd meant to do before starting the whole 30.  Felt good on my walks but I had a very low tolerance for all the dog traffic.  This made me cranky and the dogs a more agitated.   Our final walk of the night was better.  We kept our distance for the 3 million dogs (does everyone have a dog?) and the walk went fine.  Day 15 tomorrow!

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers.  A few pieces of beef I stole from the crockpot (shhhh).  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Spinach garden salad with a lemon/white balsamic vinaigrette.

Snack: Leftover pork loin and apple slices

Supper:   Slow cooked beef and squash

Mood and Energy: OK energy today.  I lounged for the better part of the afternoon after getting two longs walks i before noon.

Exercise: walked 8.1 kms and did Basement Crossfit:  18 x 30 second intervals of plank, side plank, EZ bar curls, low weight chest flies

Day 15

My mood and energy were better today.  I had to get up to four walks to get a decent distance in.   Went to bed earlier and was lights out and asleep by 2300h.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers and an orange.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Spinach garden salad with a lemon/white balsamic vinaigrette

Supper:   Chicken breast with broccoli and cauliflower.  A hand full of grapes

Mood and Energy: OK energy today.

Exercise: walked 7.4 kms

Day 17

The forum was broken yesterday so here's my update!  I woke up ten minutes before the alarm I forgot to set.   I fell instantly asleep when I went to bed the night before.  I'd say it's one of the best sleeps I've had in a long time.   I was still hungry between lunch and supper.   Not sure how big my lunch needs to be......I know I need more fat and protein then.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers. Two slices if bacon. A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:    Spinach garden salad and leftover turkey hash and an apple

Supper:   Grassfed roast beef, carrots, baked yam and asparagus.  Strawberries with coconut milk

Mood and Energy: Tuckered out around 3pm

Exercise: walked 7.3 kms

Rest: bi-weekly massage!

And Day 16 out of order

I woke up at 0400h and dozed off and on until I got up just before my alarm.   I definitely needed more food at lunch as I petered out and was hungry long before supper.  I didn't have enough protein or fat at lunch either.   I'm going to have to start planning better for the next day.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:    Celery, carrots and spinach with left over chicken and cauliflower

Supper:   Ground turkey hash.

Mood and Energy: OK energy today.

Exercise: walked 9.4 kms (2 kms of that with a backpack full of meat on!)

Day 18

I woke up at 0250h and a few more times and needed to finally give in and go to the bathroom.  SO not as restful of a sleep.  Later in the morning I had a meeting with my bosses at a cafe.  At the end of the meeting they gave me a huge freezer bag of chocolate chip cookies home made for the guys on the floor.  There must have been 60 cookies.  I had absolutely no desire to have one.   I did have a morbid day dream of eating one because it would sabotage the Whole30, but that's more of a Tourette Syndrome "I wonder what it would feel like to smash that lamp" impulse rather than a "I reallllly want to eat that wheat and sugar" thing.  Other than having a nap I was a pretty good day.  I had decent energy and I was in good spirits for the day.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers. One sage pork sausage.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:    Spinach garden salad and leftover roast beef and veggies

Supper:   Two beef burger patties, green beans and a handful of strawberries

Mood and Energy:  Decent during work but had an hour nap when i got home

Exercise: walked 5.7 kms.  Did 20 intervals of 3 separate Triceps, 2 biceps and planking exercises

Day 19

I had a day off of work and had an opportunity to slow down at lunch time and make whatever I wanted for lunch.  I didn't have anywhere near enough protien and fat in the mean and was hungry before supper.  I really need to step up for ,lunches.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers.   Two pieces of no sugar added bacon.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Half a sage sausage and spinach garden salad

Supper:  Zucchini strips and meatballs in tomato sauce (Thanks Honey!)

Mood and Energy:  Pretty decent....no naps

Exercise: walked 7.5 kms

Day 20

I slept in a little today and took a short walk with the dogs knowing I would work out later.  I think I have been overdoing it by walking 8+ kms then working out too.  I cleaned off the BBQ and greased it with coconut oil for the first BBQ of the season.  It was absolutely beautiful out.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach and bell peppers.   One piece of no sugar added bacon.  A coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:  Spinach garden salad and spiced, flaked tuna

Supper:  Nando's style BBQed Chicken and baked yam fries

Mood and Energy:  Not too bad, but slept in 'til 0740h today

Exercise: walked  5.8 kms,  Did 20 intervals of 3 separate Triceps, 2 biceps and planking exercises

Archived