0omingmaks Whole30 Daily Log

0omingmak

An Introduction

I am not sure what I want to gain out of this Whole30 thing  - I want to lose weight, but that doesn't seem to be the pc thing to say. I get the feeling that I am supposed to be focusing more on overall health, not just weight.

So.......Here are my issues:

- anxiety & panic attacks (panic attacks triggered by soda, so I'm curious if the general anxiety is also caused by sugar/caffeine)

- Thinning & brittle hair (I am in my 30's. This should not be happening. No, I do not have a thyroid problem - so sayeth my Dr. )

- Joint pain - I've been noticing lots of aches and pains over the last year. Foot problems. Knee pain. My fingers joints will get sharp pains in them for no reason.

- I have been taking Prilosec since Nov 2013. I started taking it because of stomach irritation due to too much ibuprofrin (I had my wisdom teeth out, got dry socket, etc.) Now, if I try to get off of Prilosec, I get horrible acid reflux/heartburn - which I didn't have before.

- Acne breakouts, rash on my face that comes and goes.

- Sometimes, my fingers tingle after I eat.

- And yes, I am overweight. I am 5'7" and weigh 210. The lowest I have been in the past 10 years is 190.

So.. those are my issues...things I would like to disappear. I am curious to see if changing my eating will help some of the issues and possibly prevent further issues down the road.

I plan on starting and exercise program as well. I currently walk 1.3 miles a day to and from work..I've been walking for so many years, that I feel like my body is immune to it and doesn't burn any excess calories - hence starting an exercise program.

Being as that I need structure (no Points to count here!) I am making this little log to keep me accountable and to have somewhere "to go" when I need to keep on track.

An Introduction

I am not sure what I want to gain out of this Whole30 thing  - I want to lose weight, but that doesn't seem to be the pc thing to say. I get the feeling that I am supposed to be focusing more on overall health, not just weight.

So.......Here are my issues:

- anxiety & panic attacks (panic attacks triggered by soda, so I'm curious if the general anxiety is also caused by sugar/caffeine)

- Thinning & brittle hair (I am in my 30's. This should not be happening. No, I do not have a thyroid problem - so sayeth my Dr. )

- Joint pain - I've been noticing lots of aches and pains over the last year. Foot problems. Knee pain. My fingers joints will get sharp pains in them for no reason.

- I have been taking Prilosec since Nov 2013. I started taking it because of stomach irritation due to too much ibuprofrin (I had my wisdom teeth out, got dry socket, etc.) Now, if I try to get off of Prilosec, I get horrible acid reflux/heartburn - which I didn't have before.

- Acne breakouts, rash on my face that comes and goes.

- Sometimes, my fingers tingle after I eat.

- And yes, I am overweight. I am 5'7" and weigh 210. The lowest I have been in the past 10 years is 190.

So.. those are my issues...things I would like to disappear. I am curious to see if changing my eating will help some of the issues and possibly prevent further issues down the road.

I plan on starting and exercise program as well. I currently walk 1.3 miles a day to and from work..I've been walking for so many years, that I feel like my body is immune to it and doesn't burn any excess calories - hence starting an exercise program.

Being as that I need structure (no Points to count here!) I am making this little log to keep me accountable and to have somewhere "to go" when I need to keep on track.

Welcome! I think you will notice some changes in your health with the whole30. If you are having acid reflux you may want to take digestive enzymes. This really helped me, just make sure they are compliant. Your hair issue may be related to not eating enough protein or not enough iodine. Many people have had improvements with their hair and nails after their whole30. I know that all of us want to lose weight during out whole30. I have to tell you that I didn't lose a pound. I still think the whole30 challenge is an amazing tool to examine your diet and food habits. My acid reflux was gone after my whole30, I hope yours improves as well. Good Luck!

DAY 1

Now that I got the introduction out of the way, I can get down to business.

Day One

Meal 1:  3 Egg Omelet (1 Whole/2 Egg Whites) with spinach and mushrooms. Turkey Bacon. Blackberries.

Meal 2: Chicken, red pepper, zucchini sauté. Ambrosia apple.

Meal 3: Blackened catfish. Brussel Sprouts. Smashed sweet potato.

Snack: Handful of pumpkin seeds and walnuts.

Day One was good. I was a bit dizzy here and there. No real cravings - although I was starving after dinner- hence the snack. I was really thrown off by not eating rice with my sauté. I didn't miss NOT eating it.. I just felt like my plate was missing something.

Welcome!

Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template?  Folks tend to get the best results possible on the Whole30 when they design each meal to follow this template. 

Since you were dizzy and needed a snack later, that's typically a sign that you're not eating or drinking enough.

- Play with your portion sizes at your meals until they satiate you for 4-5 hours.  
- Be sure you're staying properly hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that contains a protein and fat. Nuts and seeds are fat sources on a Whole30, and the guidance is to limit nuts and seeds.

Also, be sure your turkey bacon is compliant: no sugar, sweeteners or other nasties.

I actually just stumbled upon the whole iodine thing yesterday while reading about hair loss. I typically do not use salt, but tonight I went to the grocery store and bought some iodized salt - hopefully, if iodine is the issue, using a bit of the salt here and there will help.

Where do you find digestive enzymes at?

DAY 2

Even though it is only 8:30 pm, I feel reasonably confident that I am full and done eating for the night.

Meal 1 -  Egg white omelet with spinach and mushrooms. Turkey bacon. Apple.

Meal 2 - Chicken, red pepper and zucchini sauté.

Oddly, even though I was still hungry for awhile after eating Meal 2, by dinner time, I didn't feel like eating. I had to force myself to eat dinner.

Meal 3 - Jerked Pork Chop. Asparagus. Cocoa Toasted cauliflower. I also ate a couple pecan halves.

I have not had any cravings, but I noticed I am a bit moody today. I didn't feel as dizzy today either.

Week One Recap

I don't have the time to update this everyday (too busy cooking!! lol) - so I am going to update every week..

This first week started out really easy .. Besides some lightheadedness and a few dizzy spells, the first 2 - 3 days were a breeze...Then everything went to crap..

The bad stuff first......

I became extremely emotional - I mean like cry over everything, flipping out on my husband for the littlest things freaking out. I think my serotonin levels were always artificially jacked up with sugar, that they plummeted when I began depriving myself of sugars and carbs. Even though I am on day 8, I am still a bit emotional and "down" feeling.

I am normally a very heavy sleeper and I fall asleep easily and stay asleep. Since I have been doing Whole30, I haven't been sleeping well at all. It's really hard for me to get to sleep at night, and I wake up quite a bit during the night. Last night, I slept well, so I am hoping this is starting to change.

I have had a lot of dizzy/light headed spells which were really disconcerting. The first 3 days were the worst, then they kinda went away until yesterday morning, when I woke up feeling dizzy and shaky and really dehydrated. I realized I hadn't eaten any salt in a week, so I ate 1/8th tsp of salt and felt better.

Tiredness/Head in the Clouds - I have had 0 energy this week..like none. I left work early a couple of days because I just couldn't focus and I had no energy.  I have had a really hard time focusing, and I feel really antsy.

The Good...

Veggies and fruits taste divine...I feel like I am seeing foods I have eaten for years in a whole new light..

I can go long times between meals and eat less... I used to eat the same thing for breakfast every day: whole grain English muffin with jelly, fruit flavored greek yogurt, blackberries, and an egg white and spinach and cheese omelet,  and an hour and a half later, I would be starving. Now, I eat the the omelet (sans the cheese) with the blackberries and I am full for 4 or 5 hours. Its crazy!

I am actually spending less time in the kitchen. I used to make all of these complicated meals that required tons of different ingredients. Eating this way has simplified my meal planning/making significantly.

I am not eating because I am stressed, or bored, or because I had a crappy day. I am not coming home from my job after a stressful day stuffing my face with snack foods and cheese and cookies. This is huge - something I was thinking about seeking therapy for.

The week ahead...

Im hoping this upcoming week will bring better sleep and more energy and less emotional outbursts. I fell 75% comfortable eating this way.. I have steered clear of all of the coconut, because I have never been a fan, but this week I would like to try some coconut aminos. Im hungry for faux Chinese food.

Archived