My new favorite sweet potato dish

TessTurbo

Just threw together an I-really-should-eat-something-before-I-go meal. Grated a large sweet potato, a little diced onion, and an egg. Sautéed in ghee, then seasoned to taste. Gotta make sure to leave it alone long enough to get some browning on it.

Wow, even better than any hash browns I remember.

Next time, will try it with zucchini...

• 3 weeks later...

I always shread a couple of large sweet potatos in the food processor during my Sunday food prep time to use like this throughout the week, such an excellent addition to the morning meal. I've toyed around between different fats and have found that I like ghee the best taste-wise but coconut oil and olive oil both work fine.

I also find that, for some reason, I have the best crisping results using a non-stick pan vs either an aluminum clad pan or my cast iron pan. Not sure why exactly, I just know it works :)

Oh, and about 3/4 of the way through cooking I drizzle some good olive oil into the pan and give it a shake to coat the potatos again, this give it a crispness blast before taking it out of the pan!

• 3 weeks later...

I found that steaming the sweet potato prior to throwing them into the pan with oil helps make sure they are fully cooked, but still gives them the crispy crust that makes them delicious. I found if I just grated them and threw them in a pan with oil, they got a nice crust, but were still not entirely cooked on the inside which made the texture less pleasant.

I just grate them, steam them for a few minutes, then throw them in the pan with oil & spices. 

Since we're sharing sweet potato secrets.  I roast four (or six!) on Sunday, but not all the way cooked through - about 35 minutes or so.  This way when I dice them up and throw them in the pan for breakfast they cook super fast.

Since we're sharing sweet potato secrets.  I roast four (or six!) on Sunday, but not all the way cooked through - about 35 minutes or so.  This way when I dice them up and throw them in the pan for breakfast they cook super fast.

It never ceases to amaze me how the simplest, most brilliant ideas can elude me for so long lol. Definitely going to try this out on my next prep day.

I use the spiralizer (famous for making zoodles) and will make noodles out of a large sweet potato or 2.  Then will lightly coat that in some melted coconut oil and bake in the oven, I think for about 45 mins or so until the edges and ends get nice and crispy.  It's easy to eat and tastes just a good the next day when it's cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just threw together an I-really-should-eat-something-before-I-go meal. Grated a large sweet potato, a little diced onion, and an egg. Sautéed in ghee, then seasoned to taste. Gotta make sure to leave it alone long enough to get some browning on it.

Wow, even better than any hash browns I remember.

Next time, will try it with zucchini...

Delicious! Rutabaga works wonderfully too. Sometimes I do half rutabaga half sweet potato.

One egg is not nearly enough protein for a full meal, though. The recommended amount is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. Make sure you are following the Meal Template portions for protein, fat and veggies. You want to try to make it at least 4 hours between meals so your body will switch to using fat for fuel.

Keep up the good work!

Archived