The clothes makes the girl

Samila69

Hello everyone, I just checked out her website and I'm a little confused about the recipes. For example her jalapeño bacon burger balls that is said to be Whole30 approved has self made ketchup in it, cream Tatar, baking soda, etc in it. Isn't that a recipes that has some of the no no ingredients in it? How come it's Whole30 approved? The recipes look great but I worry that when I'm trying them, I won't be really on Whole30. Any advice?

I'm pretty sure both of her cookbooks only have one or two recipes which aren't compliant and I'm pretty sure they're desserts or SWYPO. [see mod Chris' post below, which has the specific recipes which aren't compliant]

ANY recipe which is compliant, will be non-compliant if you use non-compliant ingredients :)

My local brand of cream of tartar is fine, I have to be careful when buying baking soda. Some baking powdery-type ingredients have added grains or nasties, always read your labels :) I've even found one labelled gluten free which contained wheat lol silly label people

PS. Melissa Joulwan is the author of cookbooks Well Fed & Well Fed 2 and she *is* Clothes Make The Girl :)

Whole9 loves her very much:

http://whole9life.com/2011/12/well-fed/

http://whole9life.com/2013/10/well-fed-2/

Melissa Joulwan is a friend of Dallas and Melissa Hartwig and is very supportive of the Whole30, as well as striving to make nearly all of her recipes whole30 compliant. Home-made ketchup using dates for sweetness is allowed, and cream of tartar and baking soda are also allowed on whole30. 

The only things that are not allowed on a whole30 are:

Grains (all, including pseudo grains like quinoa),

dairy (all forms),

legumes (all of them, including hidden sources of soy like soy lecithin),

added sugars (sugar that is not naturally occurring in a whole food like sucrose, fructose, dextrose, pretty much all the -ose's),

artificial sweeteners (splenda, stevia, monk fruit, aspartame, etc.) 

Carageenan (used as a thickener in many creamy liquids like coconut milk and almond milk)

MSG or Monosodium Glutamate

Sulfates (used as a preservative in a variety of foods, commonly found as "sodium bisulfate" but anything ending in "-sulfate" counts) Edit: See AmyS's post below, it's Sulfites, not sulfates. I couldn't remember if it was A or I

After that, everything is shades of gray in terms of "best choice" "Better Choice" or "good Choice" there are also things that are in the "In moderation" category such as dried fruit, and things that are reluctantly allowed like vegetable oils - only because all restaurants use them and the whole30 has to be doable for people who travel and have to eat out a lot.

Also, baking soda and baking powder are NOT the same things. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which is a pure ingredient. Baking powder is a blend of ingredients often including baking soda along with other things like corn or wheat starches.

Sulfites are prohibited. You're looking for the suffix -ite (the suffix -ate is OK).

Sulfates are OK.  (There's been vast discussion in Paleo-land about sulfates, and they are considered fine for Whole30 and for the larger Paleo world too)

Archived