Jussie3au Whole30 Log

Jussie3au

Start Date: 10.4.2014

Before: Was eating fairly clean, vegetables, lean meat, eggs, but with Dairy included (yoghurt, milk, cheese). Cut out sugars, grains / Wheat products. Protein every meal, and usually some veg for nearly all of those too. Was doing ok, some tired days, sleeping unwell half the time. Doing a fair bit of exercise too, which probably contributed to tiredness.

I also have Hypothyroid but have not found out exactly what the cause is, if Iodine levels low etc. Doctor suspects it is not Immune based but more tests would be needed.

Day 1 (Yesterday)

Exercise (5am) - 6km run with Tabata sprints at about 3km mark.

Daily Concoction - Tall glass of water. Level Teaspoon of Spirulina and another of Magnesium powder. 1/3 Teaspoon of MSM. 2000mg Fish oil, 1000mg Krill Oil, 1500mg Glucosamine, 1000mg Vit C, 2 x Vit D & Calcium tablets.

Breakfast (6am) - 3 eggs (only 1 yolk, been eating mostly whites recently), Handful Baby Spinach, 1 x mushroom cut up, 1/2 sliced chicken breast.

Late Morning Snack (11am) - handful of Brazil nuts, small helping of blueberries with a coffee using coconut milk

Lunch (1:30pm) - Sliced chicken breast with baby spinach, mushrooms and Kale all cooked with coconut oil. Cup of Roibos tea.

Pre WO snack (4:30pm) - Handful of Brazil nuts, Biltong, blueberries.

Exercise (6-7pm) - Muay Thai class

Dinner (8-8:30pm) - Low fat mince with Spagetti Squash, pepper, Himalayan salt and some pure tomato puree for sauce.

Bed at 9:15pm

EDIT: Late dinner is due to travel times back from class, and the fact I literally cannot eat in that hour after hard exercise.

Was feeling ok but a little tired late morning and early afternoon, sleepy.

Day 2

Daily Concoction - Tall glass of water. Level Teaspoon of Spirulina and another of Magnesium powder. 1/3 Teaspoon of MSM. 2000mg Fish oil, 1000mg Krill Oil, 1500mg Glucosamine, 1000mg Vit C, 2 x Vit D & Calcium tablets.

Breakfast (6:30am) - 3 eggs (only 1 yolk, been eating mostly whites recently), Handful Baby Spinach, 1 x mushroom cut up. Handfull frozen berries with coconut milk.

Coffee with Coconut milk for Transit to work.

Late Morning Snack (11am) - handful of Brazil nuts, handful of Biltong, small helping of blueberries with a coffee using coconut milk

Lunch (1:30pm) - Lean mince with Steamed Pumpkin, pepper, Himalayan salt. Cup of Roibos tea.

Pre WO snack (4:30pm) - Handful of Brazil nuts, Biltong, blueberries.

Exercise (6-7pm) - Muay Thai class

Dinner expected about 7:30-8pm.

I suspect it'll be about 9:30pm when I climb into bed.

EDIT: Forgot to include that today I am also tired and sleepy late morning and early afternoon. This could be due to the fact that there isn't anything happening at work (My profession doesn't have any outside duties) so I'm on this forum or reading other material.

• Moderators

My guess is that you are not eating enough, especially on days when you are completing two training sessions. Review the Whole9 meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - and I think you will see that you need to eat more. 

The best part of an egg is in the yolk. You do not need to be afraid of eggs. You can eat as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand every day and be fine. Experts who warn you not to eat "too many eggs" are conveying superstition and not reality. Not only is cholesterol not the boogey man that it is presented to be, the cholesterol within what we eat has very little to do with our blood levels of cholesterol. Our liver is responsible for most of our blood cholesterol levels. 

A handful of spinach is not much food. You need to work on getting more veggies into your meals. 

I like Brazil nuts and eat 2-3 per day as my selenium supplement, but you should not eat them by the handful. They are high in omega6 fatty acids and most of us already get way too much omega6s. Nuts are an acceptable fat source, but better choices include macadamia nuts and cashews.  

Day 3

Exercise: No run today (Was supposed to) due to hip flexor injury from Muay Thai. Should be good in a day or two.

Breakfast (6:30am) - 3 whole eggs, 2 x Handful Baby Spinach, 2 x mushroom cut up scrambled with Salt/Pepper. Heaped on top of...more baby spinach (Covered plate bottom), large hand-full blueberries with coconut milk.

Late Morning Snack (10:30am) - Large hand-full of Biltong, Large black plum, coffee using coconut milk

Lunch (1:40pm) - Whole chicken breast (large) sliced with 1x cup steamed cabbage, large handful of baby spinach, 1x mushroom chopped, 1x teaspoon coconut oil, pepper, Himalayan salt. Cup of Roibos tea at about 3pm.

EDIT -> Dinner about 7pm. - 2x hands of cooked Mince, 2x cup broccoli, 1/2 sliced zucchini, 1/2 large Sweet potato sliced, all lightly cooked in pan with coconut oil.

EDIT -> Bed: 9:30pm

Feel: Generally feel ok. It's about 2:15pm and I haven't had the sleepy bit at all today, just a bit stiff from Muay Thai this week. I have slept well the last two nights. Better than normal. Still a bit hungry but not as much as the two previous days.

Day 4

Breakfast (6:30am) - 4x whole eggs, 1 & 1/2 x Large Handful Baby Spinach, 1x handful Kale, 2 x mushroom cut up scrambled with Salt/Pepper. Large hand-full blueberries with coconut milk.

Late Morning Snack (11am) - Large hand-full of Biltong, Large red plum, a few brazil nuts, coffee using coconut milk

Lunch (1:40pm) - 2x hands of cooked mince with pepper, Himalayan salt. 1x cup steamed cabbage, 1/4 sliced large zucchini (pan cooked), 1/4 large sweet potato (pan cooked). Cup of Roibos tea.

Pre WO Meal (4:30pm) - Small hand of Biltong, Small serving blueberries and coconut cream, 1x banana.

Exercise (6-7pm) - Muay Thai session.

EDIT -> Dinner about 8pm. - approx 250 - 300g Lean steak, 1/2 sliced zucchini, Large slice of Pumpkin chopped, Large chuck of chopped cabbage, 2 tomatoes sliced in 1/2, all lightly cooked in pan with coconut oil. I'm using Himalayan Salt, Ground black pepper, and if any spices, I have checked no unwanted ingredients in the listing.

Bed (10pm) - Stayed up a bit later than I wanted to try getting my kids computer going, needed to install the OS. I don't live with them, and see them tomorrow so trying to fit it into my schedule. Made progress, mostly done :)

Feel: Generally feel ok. It's about 3:45pm and I haven't had the sleepy bit at all today. I have slept well the last three nights. Better than normal. Hunger not as much as the previous days, it seems to be dissipating somewhat.

EDIT (at Day 5 - 9am) -> I think I found what they mean by Tiger Blood !? Granted I've only just started, but I've been eating pretty clean for a couple of months now. I had training at Muay Thai last night, and no matter how fast or hard I hit, I felt like I could keep giving more ! After an hour I was soaked, but felt like I could do another hour ! I even beat up the kick bag after class and no tiredness at all.

Day 5

Exercise (5am): Morning run for 5km. Not enough recovery from last nights training, legs heavy (probably needed more rest). I otherwise felt good energy and clear headed. Got tired after breakfast when I sat on train, I feel like my brain is getting mixed signals from running in dark then eating then relax. Must think its bedtime !

Breakfast (6:30am) - 4x whole eggs, 1 & 1/2 x Large Handful Baby Spinach, 1x handful Kale, 2 x mushroom cut up scrambled with Salt/Pepper. Large red plum chopped with strawberries and coconut cream.

Late Morning Snack (11am) - Small serve of Cooked cabbage and pumpkin with a little zucchini, large black plum, coffee using coconut milk

Lunch (1:40pm) - 1x Large chicken breast sliced seasoned with pepper, Himalayan salt. 1x cup steamed Pumpkin, 1x cup steamed cabbage, 1/4 sliced large zucchini (pan cooked), . Cup of Roibos tea.

Is this your first Whole30? You mentioned that you might have hypothyroid but don't know the cause? If this is your first whole30 then keep going with it as written, if you don't see the results you are looking for on day 30 it could be the Spirulina. According to the Paleo Mom this seaweed should be avoided if you feel you have an auto immune issue because it is an immune stimulator. Here is the link to her website talking about the auto immune protocol. http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol.  

Thanks Tina :) I'll see how I go on the 30, currently I am not experiencing any side effects from anything, except I am hungrier than normal (possibly due to cutting out dairy, which is all I can think of). I have started increasing the amount of greens and dense vegetables in my meals, my plate is loaded for each meal usually. I never feel "overfed".

EDIT -> Currently Day 8 of Whole30.

I've been keeping to the above style of eating, mixing up the foods, keeping them simple, and generally enjoying the taste of the fresh foods. I've also been finding my "hungry tummy" has changed, it's going through a stage where it's hard to tell if I am hungry, first thing in the morning and usually dinner time also. I make my proper meals and eat anyway.

Still sleeping quite well, surprising really. Probably helps that I've cut it down to 2 coffee's a day in the morning.

See how my energy levels go this week. Last week was okay to really good. My biggest challenge is finding tonnes of vegetables to cook up to make the meal filling and interesting.

Made it to Day 10. I feel good, but Energy is diminished. I don't actually find this out until I go to my Muay Thai training or do some running, and then my body just cannot seem to drag much energy out of itself.

I'm eating plates full of the recommended doses of Protein, vegetables and fats for every meal, if anything they are a little more than the plan says to do. I'm mixing it up with my vegetables and some simple spices, and so far eating isn't really a problem.

I've cut out Broccoli as it seems to be producing some tummy upset, which is now gone. Otherwise, I'm adding in more of the vegetables listing in the shopping list, people are asking me to cook for them ! Apparently it looks good lol.

I am finding I am a little bit 'not here' mentally, but also more focused when working on something. Lets see what the next 20 days brings !

Day 16

Daily Concoction - Tall glass of water. Level Teaspoon of Spirulina and another of Magnesium powder. 2000mg Fish oil, 1000mg Krill Oil, 1500mg Glucosamine, 1000mg Vit C, 2 x Vit D & Calcium tablets.

Meal 1 (6am): 4x eggs, large helping of Sweet Potato, Zucchini, mushrooms, little chopped onion and red pepper. Large serve baby spinach.

Late morning meal (11am): Large baby spinach, mushrooms, and tin of Sardines.

Meal 2 (1:30pm): Half large rump steak sliced. 2 eggs. Baby Spinach, Zucchini, Sweet Potato, onion, red pepper. Full large container.

Pre WO (4:45pm): Little coconut water, 1 banana, 2x dates, 2x Macadamia nuts.

Exercise (6pm): Muay Thai 1 hour high intensity.

Meal 3 (8pm): Large Chicken Breast Butterflyed and sliced. Large serve Pumpkin, Zucchini and mushrooms with Spinach and onion.

Drinks during the day: Water, or morning coffee x 2 with coconut milk (no added anything except water)

I've been finding I went through a tired patch for 4-5 days again recently, My meal sizes now fill an entire dinner plate for the last week. I seriously couldn't put more on if I tried unless I wanted a literal mountain of food to balance on my plate !

I started feeling a bit better last night, and so far ok today. It's mainly when I exercise (Running or Muay Thai) that I find the energy is lacking what I expect. It's as if my body has forgotten how to tap into my "energy river" or something. I'm only into my third week now, so From what to expect, hopefully it'll pick up in the next couple of days.

Mentally I feel fine though, and apart from 4 days where I slept crap over the Friday to Monday period, I sleep well.

I am also looking into my Hypothyroid problem, and seeing if that has anything to do with things.

Day 17.

Last nights training went into the toilet. No real energy what-so-ever. And it sucked. I have steady energy all day long. Mentally alert at all hours. Feel fine...until I need the adrenaline, the energy for a workout or a run. Then it's like I may as well just lay down and stare at the ceiling, it about as effective.

I stopped my Spiralina this morning. I'll also be taking out all nightshades today.

I looked up the cruciferous vegetables also, which is mentioned here somewhere or a linked site, that it can upset AI problems, so looking at taking those out too.

Day 23.

I've gotten my old energy back, it's not "Tiger Blood", just normal although I feel like I should have more.

Back into my exercise, still eating plate fulls of food every meal. Sleeping well. I've found that the preparation time for eating now is a lot more than I used to have, but the food is better for me.

I've started cutting up and storing as much of my bulk veges as possible, in order to make it easier in my busy schedule to cook quickly so I can relax and eat. I didn't really have to endure much temptation on this journey so far, I do see the foods I used to enjoy, but knowing whats in them makes it quite easy for me to keep walking. I do miss a good old Cafe bought coffee though !

I've cut out Nightshades mostly as an attempt to go easier on my gut and Thyroid health. No Gluten and diary of course. Seems to be going ok again.

Day 25.

I've discovered while I feel ok, I still have low heart rate, contribution of Hypothyroid and keeping fit. It's about 44-48 the last two days.

I have noticed though my energy isn't quite what it should be, so I am probably still recovering.

Back to the Whole 30...My partner and I have decided to push it out to 45 days. It's taking longer for my body to adjust than hers is, and we both want to go a bit longer to make sure we've embedded the message into our systems.

The food is good, eating 3 big meals a day, and it seems to be overall healthier than what I was eating before.

Day 30.

I am appreciating the organic, natural and nutritious foods I have been eating. I don't need to flavor things much, maybe a bit of slat or pepper, ground cinnamon or turmeric. I don't crave or want any of the processed foods I see everywhere, everyday. And I generally feel healthier than I did before.

The things I have noticed, is the hunger "signal" I get now is completely different in feel and I am still getting used to it. Sometimes I'm not even sure it's hunger ! I have also noticed that It's harder for me to draw on my energy, it also feels a bit reduced. Not sure if it's the lifestyle change, or my Thyroid issues, but either way I'll have to work it out as I go along. I've tried changing my meal times to get my hunger under control, and even having bigger meals of veges, fats and protein. However I still find I am hungry more often than 3 times a day. At minimum, I need to eat 4 times a day to stave off the hunger. I'm using more fats than I used to. Healthy ones. And I do a fair bit of exercise. I have noticed that I cope better if I sleep bad, and I feel naturally tired at night when I head off to bed. 

I have decided to keep these ideals and food lessons as I move along, and continue this way for a while longer yet. I will probably add in some dairy to see how it affects me at some point, and maybe occasionally a drink with some friends. But mostly I will be keeping to fresh veges, the best quality meat I can afford (organic grass fed preferably) and using a decent amount of fats during my day and meals.

Anyone trying the whole 30, I hope you get a positive result out of yours, I feel it was well worth it to me to do my whole 30. My partner has committed to doing a Whole45, so she has a bit longer to go. I'll be going most of that with her, until I figure out what I'd like to do about any foods I am not eating, like milk.

Archived