10 week trip around Australia!

Ani

Hello fellow travellers and dehydrator experts!

My partner and I are currently planning a 10 week trip around half of Australia and will be driving/camping the whole time in the Northern Territory and Western Australia - think hot days, remote country and the desert. The good news is we have just bought a dehydrator to help us prep and while we are away we will have some fridge/freezer capacity and will be fishing a lot!

The plan is to dehydrate a tonne of veggies and jerky before we go but I'm having trouble coming up with some high protein snack and breakfast options - grain free and not overloaded with nuts! We currently eat tonnes of eggs (1:3 whole:whites as my partner has a chronic omega 6 imbalance) but won't be able to carry enough fresh eggs to sustain our current consumption. I've been trying to source some powdered egg whites but from the reviews I've read the powdered eggs available in Oz are terrible and due to our strict quarantine we cannot import the good ones from the US. I'm nervous about salmonella risks with dehydrating my own eggs - has anyone tried this?

We will be able to restock supplies about once a week but won't have a huge amount of fridge space so we are looking for high protein/veggie meal ideas that don't need refrigeration. We are going to take as many frozen meals as we can fit in our Waeco freezer (60L) but that won't last very long! I guess there is always tinned tuna/salmon but any other ideas would be great or stories from anyone who has been on a trip like this before?

We aren't expecting to be 100% whole 30, but paleo at the least (due to dietary problems).

Any tips/advice etc would be fantastic!

I dont think you can bring eggs, and meat into australia unless they are canned. And I don't think they will accept your dried vegetables either if not commercially prepared and stored.

http://www.worldbaggage.com.au/Content/ContentFiles/AQIS.pdf

There are some vacuum packed meats here that don't require refrigeration I think.

What about soups, these should be okay without refrigeration for a few days if you just use oil, veges and water. Think pumpkin and coriander, and tomato and zucchini purees for example. You can get compliant Jars of olives, dried tomatoes, coconut milk, canned fruits.

Hope you have a great trip!

What are you going to do if Australian border control confiscates what you've prepared?

We don't refrigerate eggs here in the UK, but I was last in Australia ages ago and can't remember what the egg situation is in Australia.

Thanks for the replies - sorry if I wasn't clear but I already live in Australia :) I was just trying to order egg white crystals from the US cos we can't buy them here but no one will ship to Australia because of our strict quarantine laws. Thanks for the suggestions!

Aha, that makes more sense. I would think that to dehydrate eggs safely would require some fairly strict conditions??? Can you tolerate good quality whey protein at all? What about frozen eggs? Annabel made a good point, if you can get farm fresh eggs on your travels they wouldn't need to be refrigerated...

Frankly in the hot climates, powdered eggs can go off, I wouldn't try and dehydrate any. Most places selling any kind of food will sell fresh eggs, nationwide. A lot of non-tinned items won't survive the humidity/heat of NT, check your food temps carefully. Get good bottled water when you can find it, some of the water around there is bore water (from underground, sometimes orange from iron content). It won't kill you but it makes toothpaste taste terrible (and in same places is NOT safe to drink - always ask & check for signs).

Lots of awesome tinned foods, check out your local italian/european grocer for more tinned protein varieties.

Smoked kippers, salmon (red & pink), canned veggies, Ayam coconut milk & cream, smoked oysters, tinned crab, sardines, olives.

If you're travelling a lot by road, heavy food carrying will up your petrol usage. Fresh onions keep pretty well if they don't get too wet.

A lot of remote areas have very few food outlets, if you can tell them when you're coming, some will have a package ready for pickup for you. Caravan Parks & Petrol Stations sometimes have their own little shop, worth asking about. Lots of awesome fresh ocean barramundi and seafood up north in Northern Territory and some beach areas of Western Australia, if it's available (mostly exported).

Archived