My Whole 30 Success Story- Depression gone, skin amazing!

sweetrunning

Hi everyone,

I am on day 31 today and did 30 days with no slip ups! I had so many benefits.

- At the beginning, I was off my depression medication for 2 months and was starting to feel like I may need to go back on again. After a week on the whole 30, I was in a happy mood and balanced all the time. I suddenly loved work again and didn't mind all the little things. I think this is my biggest benefit!

- My skin is clearer.

- My eczema is reduced.

-psoriasis disappeared on scalp

- My nails are no longer brittle, they are strong.

- The dark circles under my eyes are gone. (My brother kept telling me I looked old, honest right, and he was right, now they are gone, and I look amazing!)

- The fog/cloud I always had over me is lifted!

- My energy levels have skyrocketed!

- My blood sugar is always stable, I'm never hungry until meal time and I thought I was one of those people that had to have 6 meals a day to keep it stable.

- I wake up without my alarm clock ready to take on the day

- My belt was on loop #1 and now I can go to loop #2

- The fat pants I was wearing, I can pull the jeans and dress pants over my hips without unzipping. They are so saggy and not wearable.

- Pants are fitting me that didn't

- I lost 6.7 lbs. (Honestly I look like I've lost 12-15, so I was surprised by the scale, but wonder if the body composition changed. Honestly I don't care that It's not 12-15, just glad I feel great and lost some!) In contrast I haven't been able to get the scale to move in a long time, so my metabolism is back.

So these are all amazing changes. There are a couple of other things going on this month that I'll still have to experiment with/work on:

- Relaxation- I've had a bit of a neck issue creep up right around the starting time of this. I've always had a neck issue but go to the chiropractor once a month. Finally, it's almost better after adjustments every couple days for the last 3 weeks. Now I'm to 3-4 days in between the adjustments.

- Eggs or tree nuts or coconut oil? - I did noticed one negative effect of the whole 30 and that is that when I ran (did so about 7 times on the whole 30), I would start wheezing each time and my breathing was more difficult. For some history I do have asthma but take allergy shots for spring allergies, dust, dander and cats. I have no known food allergies, but will find out when I re-introduce. I'm waiting to reintroduce yet until I get some advice on the situation. It's ironic the wheezing started and now I need my inhaler each time I run, when I never did before for the last couple of years. It's rare I do. Well guess what I never ate eggs hardly ever before the whole 30. I always had a breakfast smoothie. I read up this weekend that dairy and eggs are one of the biggest triggers of mucous production in asthma and eggs can be an allergen that can cause food sensitivity or allergies in people. Before whole 30= no eggs to 1 or 2 a week, during whole 30= 2-3 eggs a day. So as of today now I'm cutting those out. And I love my whole 30 clothesmakethegirl.com mayo recipe, but I'm thinking I should cut it all out for a month. That being said should I start today to cut out the eggs and try it and then in a month reintroduce. In the mean time should I wait a week or so before starting the 10 day prescribed reintroduction plan of grains, gluten free grains, dairy and legumes just to get the eggs out of my system. I'll know if I go running and I don't wheeze that the eggs are likely causing it. I could add them back in in a month and see what happens, just getting them out of the system for a month. Thoughts? Also, I don't think Tree nuts are the issue as I've eaten them prior to whole 30 and didn't have the wheezing so I'd like to start with eggs first. Also I think coconut oil now too as I never ate this prior to whole 30 and got diarreah a couple times after a mass amount of it in curry and then my mom informed me that my dad has an allergy to coconuts and gets pretty severe allergies and hives when he eats it. Wish my mom would have told me.

This being said, I feel like the egg thing or wheezing is important but I feel like the benefits far outweigh this. And is it possible to have the egg or coconut sensitivity and still see all these benefits? That is confusing. I'm a little disappointed that the wheezing thing cropped up. Could it be from having no grains? But I'm far happier I'm experiencing all these other benefits. What's interesting without the anxiety/depression you'd think the asthma would be so much better. Would you cut coconut and oils out the same time and wait a month and reintroduce them? Maybe in a week could I start reintroducing the 10 day plan?

Thanks, I'm super excited for these changes and will continue on. I'm finally figuring out some bodily triggers.

Laura

This being said, I feel like the egg thing or wheezing is important but I feel like the benefits far outweigh this. And is it possible to have the egg or coconut sensitivity and still see all these benefits? That is confusing. I'm a little disappointed that the wheezing thing cropped up. Could it be from having no grains? But I'm far happier I'm experiencing all these other benefits. What's interesting without the anxiety/depression you'd think the asthma would be so much better. Would you cut coconut and oils out the same time and wait a month and reintroduce them? Maybe in a week could I start reintroducing the 10 day plan?

Thanks, I'm super excited for these changes and will continue on. I'm finally figuring out some bodily triggers.

Laura

It is possible that coconuts or eggs could be the cause of your allergy symptoms. I think your plan is good to cut out coconut and eggs and then reintroduce them. You might want to cut out all nuts and then reintroduce them separately. Also, some people are more sensitive to egg whites then egg yolks. You may want to introduce them separately at the end of the month and see if you notice a difference. So glad you had such great results. I think you can start to reintroduce the rest in a week, but I am not an expert so maybe a moderator will have a different opinion. Good Luck!

Thanks I agree!  Without it you are right I was thinking the same thing, I would have never put it together. Now because whole 30 said a lot of these things, I know something is going on. Already today, the bit of eczema left disappeared after 2 days off of these things. So something was causing it. 

Archived