Kati's first whole30

coachkati

I am on day 2 of my first whole30 and falling asleep at my desk .  . .  My husband and I are doing this together which will be good for support and accountability, but bad when we are both irritable :)

I was diagnosed with celiac and have been very strictly gluten free for 10 years so the grains are not as difficult for me, but sugars and alcohol - ugh.  Here's to a healthier me!

Day 1 - m1 -2 eggs, sweet potato hash & 1/2 an avocado

m2 - raw almonds and an apple

m3 - sweet potatoes, onions and aidielle's chicken apple sausage cooked in EVOO

m4 - baked chicken, sautéed kale (ghee) and cauliflower mash

Day 2 - m1 - 2 eggs, spinach & 1/2 an avocado

m2 - leftover chicken mixed with 1/2 avocado and whole30 mayo over lots of yummy spinach

m3- raw almonds and an orange

m4 (planned) - steak stirfried with asparagus, mushrooms, EVOO and spices

Welcome! Glad you are taking the challenge. I noticed that you have 4 meals a day and one looks like a snack. Have you checked out the meal planning template? I know snacking is discourage so not sure if you are making a deliberate choice to snack or not. Snacks should be a mini meal with protein, veggies and fat and not just  fruit and nuts. Just want you to get the best results from you whole30. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf.   

I am having nuts and fruit as a snack (but I don't think it's psychological) I think but am still having trouble with my blood sugar dropping (getting shakey and weak) between meals.  The nuts and fruit were all that was on hand at my office so that's what I grabbed.  I might try today to split my 2nd meal into two helpings instead - I can't physically eat any more during a meal (I am finishing very full). 

I reread the meal planning and I think I need to make sure I am having a post workout meal and separate breakfast later in the morning.  I run or workout early in the am and eat breakfast afterwards - that is where I think I need to make the change.  Sheesh - this is  a lot of food!  My husband and I went through almost the whole week's worth of food I bought in the first 3 days!!  Makes me realize how much we were relying on eating out at lunch time.

Are you eating something before your workout as well? A hard boiled egg or 2 is a really good choice. If you are having trouble going 4-5 hours between meals than do a mini meal that includes protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30. Save fruit for a component of or directly after a main meal. This is especially important if you are having blood sugar drops. 

Thanks for the input!  I will make sure that when I am having fruit it is with a meal.  I don't generally eat before I run - I made a shift about 3 years ago to drop my meal before I run and now I find that if I am running at 6 am I really can't hold down food.  I added in a post workout meal yesterday and sailed through the day without having the blood sugar drop. 

Day 3 was - Post workout - 3 eggs, spinach and coffee with yummy cocounut milk (I had actually made this switch a few months ago - I love coffee this way)

Meal 1 - (I at this around 10:30 am) - Tuna mixed with whole30 mayo and avacado over spinach and an orange

Meal 2 - (around 2:30) - The rest of the tuna mixture with carrotts and almonds

Meal 3 - (6:30 pm) Sliders (really just seasoned ground beef patties), kale (with ghee) and cauliflour, parsnip and carrot mash

I am sleepy (went back to bed today instead of working out at 6 which is really unlike me) but I am trying to listen to my body and give it the rest it needs.  The workouts will be much better when my body is depending on fat sources for fuel! 

I'm still struggling to make enough food to keep my poor husband (who is more active than me and a pickier eater) from starving to death.  I literally cooked 4 lbs. of ground beef yesterday between sliders and prepping our lunch for today. 

Good adjustments! I would suggest one more tweek. We generally suggest very little fat and starchy vegetables post workout so that the nutrients get to your muscles quickly. I would consider having a starchier vegetable than spinach and saving the coffee with coconut milk until your meal 1. You might also consider having a leaner protein than eggs in that meal. If you can have one of those eggs before your run that would be good. I know you are used to running fasted but getting that fuel first thing in the morning will help with hormone balance. Again these are all suggestions based on best practices. Your mileage may vary. Glad to hear that you had no blood sugar drops today! 

Okay, on day 5 . . . Yesterday was a super sleepy day.  I just felt exhausted all day .  It didn't help that it was a super long and busy work and family day but I made it and stayed 100% compliant.  There might have been tears here and there. . .

Went back to bed instead of working out - I was wiped out.

Day 4 meals:

Meal 1  - Egg and veggie (spinach & mushrooms) scramble cooked with ghee & coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2  - Roasted butternut squash & ground beef (this is my quick and easy meal, I just tossed some onion and spices in the ground beef and it hits the spot when I'm busy and tired and can't think about cooking) and a handful of almonds

Meal 3 - Leftover sliders, roasted butternut squash and an apple

Didn't have any blood sugar problems but I am really bummed that I am going to have to make some further adjustments to the diet because I think I have gout!  (seriously - I'm 41!?)  Long story that I will skip here but unfortunately a lot of the foods I have been eating in my whole30 are inflammatory for gout.  The good news is that several of the things I cut out (like alcohol) are inflammatory too, so in the long run my whole30 journey should help with the problem.  So, in the short term I am cutting back the red meat and green leafies and am determined to make adjustments and still be successful with my 30 days. 

You might want to do some further reading about gout from a paleo perspective. I found this article interesting: http://chriskresser.com/will-eating-a-paleo-diet-cause-gout and I do believe it has been discussed on this forum a few times. I also found this in the testimonials section of the Whole30 site:

Gout

“I have boundless amounts of energy and a spring in my step; no more limp. I am completely off my gout meds! I have been eating large amounts of foods that, according to my doctor, are no-no's for gout. Before the Whole30, if I had eaten the amount of shrimp, cauliflower and broccoli that I am now, I would be in a full-blown attack with enormous amounts of pain. Guess what? NO GOUT, NO PAIN!!!!†Alan H., E. Bremerton, WA

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2011/06/the-whole30-a-z-real-life-testimonials/#sthash.u9GYE9XF.dpuf

Didn't get to post all weekend - we were 'camping' at our rental house trying to get it ready to put on the market.  A few lessons learned:

Yes, Chipotle is a great 'in a bind' lunch but the amount of protein on the salad they served was absurd.  Maybe 1/2 a hand sized amount of Pork for lettuce, guac was $10.00   Absurd! 

Next time I will do a better job of packing foods that don't need to be prepared - hard boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken etc. 

Stayed 100% compliant with food choices but working for 2 days straight meant we didn't always stop and eat meals.  Some of the meals blurred together with an open bag of carrots providing fuel when we needed to finish a project before we left to get food.   Schedule looks the same next weekend so a few things I plan to save money (chipotle is expensive!) and have on hand food:

-pre-cook a bunch of chicken breasts

-hard boil eggs to take along

-Wholly Guacamole

-Pre-cook some sweet potatoes and bring along the ghee

Live and learn!  Got home and cooked a bunch of chicken for the week and a batch of chicken meatballs to eat over zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash.  

I really miss chewing gum.

Day 8 and energy is on the rise I think!

M1 - sweet potato hash with eggs and ghee and an orange

M2 - leftover chicken meatballs w compliant marinara, spaghetti squash and zucchini, strawberries

M3 - chicken and brussel sprouts cooked in evoo with yummy spices

Day9 in the books.

Pw - sweet potato and ground turkey

M1 - coffee w/ coconut cream, chicken & brussel sprouts

M2 - chicken and brussel sprouts, cucumber and guacamole, an apple

M3 - chicken meatballs, spaghetti squash & zucchini with ghee,an orange

Hey there! It was great reading about your first week. I just started yesterday and spent today feeling groggy and half asleep. I remember this from last time I went Paleo, but I'm glad to hear that your energy was back up after about a week. Good tip on Chipotle, too. There's one right up the street but I've never been because of the prices. I'm actually saving a lot of money cutting out other restaurants though, so I'll keep them in mind.

Good luck!

Thanks Alex!  I think it was about a week, I hope your energy is starting to return! 

Yesterday (Day 10) - M1 - sweet potato, eggs, coffee w/ coconut cream

M2 -Finally the last of the chicken and Brussel sprouts, cucumbers and an apple

M3 - Salad mix, grilled chicken and guac

Today (Day 11)

Post w/o - ground turkey & sweet potato

M1 - eggs, kale & coffee w/ coconut cream

M2 - grilled chicken wraps (chx and guac wrapped up with lettuce leaves)

M3 - (planned) steak and whatever veggie looks good at Costco : ) with salad and guac

Energy is good, I feel much lighter - on the right track!!!

Day 15 today and.....HELLO TIGER BLOOD! Made it through a really tough weekend. Traveling which makes good food hard to access and most of all I struggled with meal timing. Sat (day13)

M1 - sweet potato and ghee with ground turkey, coffee with coconut cream

Snack (went to the movies, practiced great self control! ) almonds

M2 - sweet potato, ghee, carrots and grilled pork

M3 - at a WINE party, I did GREAT! veggies, asparagus, grilled pork

Day 15 (today)

Pr w/o - 1 egg (yuck)

am run

post w/o - roasted butter nut squash and chicken apple sausage

M1- same as above with ghee added , apple

M2 - broccoli curry soup with steak added

M3 - roasted cauliflower with cocoa (omg yummm!) And meatballs (sweet potatoes was my secret ingredient!

Pm workout too (t25 cardio beta) but I just couldn't eat any more. Stuffed!

Day 15 today and.....HELLO TIGER BLOOD! Made it through a really tough weekend. Traveling which makes good food hard to access and most of all I struggled with meal timing. Sat (day13)

M1 - sweet potato and ghee with ground turkey, coffee with coconut cream

Snack (went to the movies, practiced great self control! ) almonds

M2 - sweet potato, ghee, carrots and grilled pork

M3 - at a WINE party, I did GREAT! veggies, asparagus, grilled pork

Day 15 (today)

Pr w/o - 1 egg (yuck)

am run

post w/o - roasted butter nut squash and chicken apple sausage

M1- same as above with ghee added , apple

M2 - broccoli curry soup with steak added

M3 - roasted cauliflower with cocoa (omg yummm!) And meatballs (sweet potatoes was my secret ingredient!

Pm workout too (t25 cardio beta) but I just couldn't eat any more. Stuffed!

I posted in the other forum, struggling with clothes all of a sudden getting tight.  Food is going well, energy is fairly good and sleep is blah.  Sigh. 

Yesterday was day 22-

pre-run - hard boiled egg

post-run - homemade sausage & sweet potato

M1- sweet potato, ghee, steak & carrots

M2 - carrots, cukes, guac, 2 hard boiled eggs

M3 - chicken apple sausage & sautéed veggies (brussel sprouts & kale) topped with some EVOO and garlic salt

Wow, all the way to day 26 today!  Finally feeling better but I am still struggling with restless leg (really restless whole body!) at night.  Just not getting good sleep despite my best efforts.

Day 25 -

M1 - sweet potato, ghee, seasoned ground chicken & kale, coffee w/ coconut milk

M2 - same as above without the coffeee

M3 -Roasted Pork w/ a paprika mayo dipping sauce & roasted root vegetables and sautéed kale

Day 26 -

Pre-w/o - hard boiled egg

Post w/o - 1/2 a sweet potato w/ the rest of the ground chicken and kale

M1 - 2 eggs cooked with kale, handful of almonds & an orange

M2 (planned) - salad w/ grilled chicken, egg & guac

M3 (planned) "spaghetti" (zoodles and spaghetti squash noodles, marinara with ground beef), salad w/ EVOO

Go Kati go! 

On the restless leg syndrome have you tried supplementing with magnesium? You could try taking natural calm (unflavored as all the rest have Stevia) or getting a magnesium spray or cream or taking an epson salt bath before bed. 

Day 31!!!  I did wake up and have a cough drop first thing this morning, but I resisted the urge to have wine for breakfast : )  30 days, 100% compliant, no excuses is the post it that is on my work computer.  I am very happy to report that I did it!   

Aside from my cough drop (and the pack of gum I will go buy myself) I really don't see many major changes to my diet in the near future.  I reintroduced corn girts this morning and will have some corn tortillas with dinner (and wine), then I will go back to compliant for two days.  The next grain I will try is rice.  Since I am 100% gluten free all the time I want to do small reintroductions to look at each gf grain and see what works well for me and what I want to keep out.  I know dairy doesn't work well for me so that one won't get reintroduced.  Still undecided about legumes, I think maybe just for the peanut butter. 

The best thing is that after I had my corn grits (with ghee) I was cooking a chicken sausage for my protein and realized I had no veggies in my breakfast!  Went back and grabbed leftover brussel sprouts : ) 

I learned a lot about my hunger and appitite - and realized how few veggies our family eats.  That will be my #1 take away from whole30. My secondary take away is my looser pants.  I started at 151.4 and finished at 144.  Not bad for 30 days!  I still don't have the tone and definition I would like so it's time to step up the strength and conditioning work, but I'm definitely on the right path!

Did my measurements today (after a great workout) 2 inches off my waist, 2 inches off each thigh, 1.5 inches off my hips.  Happy, happy me! 

Loved my wine last night but I noticed I sipped rather than slugged it down.  One nice full glass was all I needed and I savored the taste.  Corn re-intro went fine - no side effect or symptoms.  Saturday will be rice (and more wine)

Archived