Don't want to lose weight

Has anyone had trouble with keeping weight on? I started the Whole30 program for overall health & to break my sugar addiction but I'm losing weight I can't afford to lose even when I increase my calories/fat. I recently had labs done & my body is producing ketones & I'm showing signs of anemia. I've never been anemic before. Some medical sites state that a low carbohydrate/high fat diet can cause this. I'm tall & thin with a fast metabolism. Any ideas?

Eat more! Especially starchy root veggies and winter squashes. Eat fruit a couple times a day with a meal and make sure you are getting plenty of calories overall.

The whole30 is not a "low carb high fat diet". Because of the elimination of grains and legumes and processed sugars, it usually tends to be a lot lower in carbs than a standard american diet, and encourages consumption of healthy fats with every meal. However, it does not limit carbs in general. You can eat a sweet potato or other starchy veg/winter squash with every meal if you need the carbs to maintain weight.

As far as anemia, red meat (especially organ meat!) is one of the best ways to combat that. It contains lots of iron, but specifically, heme iron (from blood) which is much easier for our bodies to use. Other great sources of iron include egg yolks, dark green leafy veggies and broccoli

If you suddenly produce ketones and have signs of anemia, you may not be eating enough protein and your body can try and make up for the lack by "eating" your own insides. 

Up both your carbs and your red meat and organ meats. Some people find red meat and spinach helps with absorption. Lots of dark green veggies have some iron levels. Liver in pate form is awesome :D I never absorb any iron from iron tablets, much to the annoyance of my doctors ;)

You can also do a v easy iron test yourself without any equipment. Pale poop = not enough iron.

If you have any ongoing issues with muscle mass, you may want to consider DEXA scanning. It shows the breakdown of fat, skeleton and non-fat mass/volume.

Archived