Half Way into our 1st Whole30

SoniaMalik

I am a soon to be 46 year old who is 165 inches tall and weighs 145 lbs. On a doctor's scale I measure as being overweight by at least 6 lbs but I don't feel or look overweight. In the past 18 months I have not lost a single pound despite following Weight Watchers and also switching to a Paleo diet for the last 3 months. But, I have gained muscle and have dropped inches even tho' I haven't specifically measured myself - my clothes just fit better and are loose on me.

I decided to follow Whole30 to see if the scale would budge on me - I don't believe I will, but a girl can dream :-) I also want to get rid of my sugar cravings - I LOVE dessert and couldn't do without something sweet after each meal. Ever since going on Paleo I have found that it's actually not that difficult.I am finding it hard to kick my habit of snacking on nuts / fruit midday..that's one thing I hope to conquer in the 2nd half of this program.

I'm also doing it to give my husband company - he needs to lose 10 lbs desperately and is having a very difficult time with it. He's not much of an exerciser and so this way of eating will hopefully give him that kickstart he serously needs..

So, here's to a wonderful journey that I am determined to enjoy despite the outcomes. ..I will start logging my food to the best of my ability.

I say screw the scale and the BMI (which I'm assuming is how your doctor is telling you that you are still 6 lbs overweight). You are doing this for all the right reasons for sure! Yay! Letting go of the nut/fruit snacking will only increase the benefits of the program for you. Sounds like your experience has been positive so far and I hope it continues to be and am happy to give any assistance I can!

I am so glad you posted this.  But, appologize that I am not posting anything that will help you!

I'm experiencing the same thing - good results and managing to learn to avoid all the major no-no's on Whole30.  But the extra fruits and snacking through the day have become my dragon to slay.  I haven't seen too many others posting on this.  I'd hate to go through all this effort without getting the maximum benefits. 

Any advice from the moderators on how to let go?  Tricks and tips?

I am so glad you posted this.  But, appologize that I am not posting anything that will help you!

I'm experiencing the same thing - good results and managing to learn to avoid all the major no-no's on Whole30.  But the extra fruits and snacking through the day have become my dragon to slay.  I haven't seen too many others posting on this.  I'd hate to go through all this effort without getting the maximum benefits. 

Any advice from the moderators on how to let go?  Tricks and tips?

Whatever is a dragon for you, keep it out of the house.  :)

If snacking is more of a habit vs. hunger, find something else non-food related to distract you. Call a friend, take a short walk, listen to music you like, knit, whatever.

If you hungry in between meals, that can be a sign that your portion sizes at earlier meals need to be bigger. Play with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, plus the recommendation is to limit those as your fat, as they can be food-without-brakes for many.

What about baby carrots ? My worst time is when I'm preparing dinner in the evening. The gap between lunch and dinner becomes at least 7 hours and I'm tired and cranky by then. That's when I reach out for the nuts...

Can I do carrots / celery sticks with guacamole or an eggplant dip at that time ?

What about baby carrots ? My worst time is when I'm preparing dinner in the evening. The gap between lunch and dinner becomes at least 7 hours and I'm tired and cranky by then. That's when I reach out for the nuts...

Can I do carrots / celery sticks with guacamole or an eggplant dip at that time ?

A better mini meal would include some protein. What about a hard boiled egg with your carrots or celery sticks? Maybe make up some deviled eggs to have on hand? Or some tuna salad on cucumber slices (my new favorite delivery method for tuna since giving up bread)? Your protein serving at your first meal seems very small. Increasing that might help you to be able to go without the mini meal. A serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand. Some people also find fruit at their first meal makes them more hungry all day. Just something to play with. What is the current timing of your meals?

I normally have M1 between 9-10am depending on my morning meetings schedule, M2 :1-2pm and then M3 : 7-8pm.

I love the idea of tuna salad on cucumber slices..any recommendation on the best canned tuna to use ?

I avoided fruit this morning and had breakfast at 8am ( 1 boiled egg, some spinach and mushrooms and 1/2 sweet potato) and I'm still stuffed at 1pm but think I should probably eat ...

Thanks !

Sonia

I love the idea of tuna salad on cucumber slices..any recommendation on the best canned tuna to use ?

Look for tuna that doesn't contain soy or any non-compliant ingredients.  Tuna in water or olive oil is fine.

I normally have M1 between 9-10am depending on my morning meetings schedule, M2 :1-2pm and then M3 : 7-8pm.

I avoided fruit this morning and had breakfast at 8am ( 1 boiled egg, some spinach and mushrooms and 1/2 sweet potato) and I'm still stuffed at 1pm but think I should probably eat ...

Thanks !

Sonia

Ok I know you said you were stuffed until lunch but that is really not enough food for your meal. A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. 

As for tuna recommendations I like Wild Planet and Trader Joe's brands and both are compliant.

Archived