What constitutes a "workout" for purposes of Post WO meal?

I am new to Whole 30.  I am a runner, and will begin training for a half marathon in the month or so, probably right after my W30 ends. However, I am rehabing from a hamstring strain, so I am doing a lot of walking and some PT.  I am wondering what actually constitutes a workout for purposes of adding a post workout meal.  Last night after dinner I walked 4 miles.  Nothing too strenous, just track walking at about 3.3 miles per hour for about 65 minutes.  I didn't eat anything addtional, particulary because it was nearly bedtime when I was done.  However, this morning I am famished.  I am thinking maybe that was enough of a workout that I should have had a little something extra.  Some advice on this would be very helpful.  Thanks so much.

It would be useful to also know what you ate before you exercised. 

I would suggest at night to have a glass of Coconut Milk. I have found that the fat from this rests in my stomach far more pleasantly overnight than it does while I am active, and when I awake the next morning I am never famished. This itself is not a post workout meal, but if at night you are finding yourself to be hungry and waking up in that condition I think it would be worth experimenting yourself. 

As far as a PW meal is concerned. Salmon or another type of fish would likely be ideal; prepared with a small salad using leafy vegetables (arugula, kale, spinach) and other green ingredients. I would stay away from consuming fruit after a workout at night. Fruit consumed prior to the workout would be ideal as the strain of the workout on the body would likely impact the amount of sugars used in the exercise and could easily be accounted for without risking extra energy to kick in right before you're off to sleep. 

Later on - maybe 10-15 minutes before you are prepared to go to sleep so that you have enough time after consumption to brush teeth, etc etc - try on a glass of coconut milk (8 to 12 oz). 

Good luck! Let me know what you thought after you've tried. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is something I was wondering as well. I alternate between weight lifting on Monday-Wednesday-Friday and do cardio Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday.  Does cardio count as a workout??

Would like to know.

John

Archived