Wyoming 30-something goes Whole30

sepurdy

Today was a bit better than yesterday. I'm feeling less grumpy but still not the same energy I had during the first week. Just kind of ho-hum, medicore kind of mood. When's that tiger blood gonna kick in?! :)

Some folks don't experience Tiger Blood on their Whole30, or it may take longer than 30 days.  

Keep going one day at a time, and focus on any progress and benefits you witness during your journey.

Yay! Forum's back up! Here's yesterday's info:

Day 14:

~preWO: small banana, spoon of almond butter, 4 meatballs 

(Tinkering with preWO snack to see if it keeps me from bonking. It did! Felt like a beast for the whole workout!)

~Breakfast/PostWO: 3 hb eggs, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

~Lunch: Spinach salad, steak, apple, pecans, a few olive slices and olive oil drizzle

~Snack: Dinner was way late so a handfull of macadamia nuts and a few raisins

~Dinner: Pasta night! Brocolli slaw "noodles" with marinara sauce, meatballs and green beans. (Noodles sauteed in coconut oil)

Today during a work meeting, they passed around a tray of homemade snickerdoodle cookies. I just kept on passing, didn't take one and no one noticed or cared. Always such a freeing feeling - no guilt!

Day 15! Half way!

PreWO: banana, almond butter  (Active recovery day so I knew I wouldn't need as much in my tank.)

Breakfast/PostWO: meatballs, sweet potato, avocado, macadamia nuts

Lunch: Spinach salad with salmon, strawberries, pecans and olive oil - Delicious!

Snack: a few macadamia nuts just before cooking dinner to keep me away from the kid snacks

Dinner: Fritatta? Omlette? Scrambled egg mess? Oh well. It tasted good. 3 eggs, ground meat, peppers, onion, tomatoes, cilantro with guac on top. Started out as an omlette, ended up as a scramble. 1/2 small pear.

Today felt like I'd turned a corner. My energy is coming back, my demenor has been much nicer and I feel vey centered. My cheekbones seem to be becoming more prominent, my stomach's flatter, there's more definition in my waist and my recovery from exercise seems faster. Definitely considering continuing to eat this way after the challenge - at least during the week. I do miss my red wine and chocolate but that's about it.

Day 16

~PreWO: small banana, spoon of almond butter, 4 meatballs (Huge workout today - Crossfit Open 14.5 WOD - definitely felt strong throughout and not pukey...well, not because of the food anyway! :)

~PostWO/Breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, avocado

~Lunch: spinach salad, chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

~Snack: macadamia nuts and raisins

~Dinner (1): Um...iceberg lettuce, a few baby carrots, cucumber, some hb egg...no dressing. (We had a monthly dinner gathering at an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. Ugh! There were next to no options. All the chicken was fried. I'd thought about bringing my own protein to go on the salad but in the hustle to get two young kids out the door by myself, I forgot.) The snack prior to dinner helped and the salad kept me busy enough to avoid any nibbles off the kids' plate.

~Dinner (2): sweet potato, meatballs, olive oil.  After I got the kids to bed, I had a more filling dinner.

Hey wyoming, nice work so far!

I don't remember if we have pointed this out to you yet, so appologies if this is old news, but you really would be better off skipping the banana pre-workout. The recommendation is a small portion of protein and fat at that time, followed by lean protein and carbs afterwards. You will get to "fat burner" status faster if you don't give your body those simple carbs to burn first (I'm talking about energy systems here, not weight loss, although both are true).

Thanks MissMary for catching that! I worked on those recommendations today.

Day 17:

PreWO/breakfast: 3 hb eggs, spoon of almond butter

PostWO: banana, meatballs

Lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan and olive oil

Dinner: sweet potato, meatballs, guac, spoon of coconut butter

Did about 4.5 mile walk with a friend this morning. After a week where I did 4 Crossfit days, I still feel great. No aches/pains or sore muscles. This was unheard of before Whole30. I've only been able to do a 4-day week once and I was dying on Saturday morning. Not anymore! If my gym had a WOD today (canceled due to an event) and if my friend had been busy, I would have totally showed up to work out. I feel really good!

Day 18 and another Sunday Food Prep!

~Breakfast: scrambled eggs, sweet potato, guacamole, strawberries, cashews

~Lunch: Spinach salad with salmon, hb eggs, strawberries, pecans, olive oil

~Dinner: grilled (beef) burgers with sweet potato, olive oil, salad with pecans, Tessme dressing and my first Paleo ketchup attempt!

Sunday food prep: hb eggs, turkey meatballs, grilled chicken, grilled burgers, roasted sweet potato, sliced cucumber

Fridge is stocked with great proteins and ready to cook veggies, avocados on the counter. Ready for a new week!

Day 19 - it's all downhill from here!

~PreWO: 4 meatballs, scoop of almond butter

~PostWO/breakfast: Sweet potato, 2 hb eggs, 5 meatballs, olive oil drizzle

~Lunch: Spinach salad with apple, chicken, pecan, cucumbers, olive oil

~Snack: Macadmia nuts and raisins

~Dinner: Asian chopped salad lettuce mix with random things from my fridge: cucumber, meatballs, sweet potato, olives, sliced almonds, olive oil - looked like a mess but had plenty of crunch and yum!

I don't even feel like I worked out this morning! My muscles feel great! Also, I think my fingernails are growing better/faster - is that common?

Day 20!

~Breakfast: 3 hb eggs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: Spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

~Snack: cashews and raisins

~Late, late dinner ~ Burger, sweet potato, broccoli, black olives, olive oil

Feeling great! I've been falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and surface from a deep sleep when my alarm goes off. Very rested. Also, I think my mom's going to start her own Whole30 next week! The book was on her coffee table when I visited her a few weeks ago while on Spring Break. I guess she heard about it through a friend at work. I mentioned that I was planning to start as soon as I got back from Spring Break and have since been talking to her about my experience. Anyway, my mom is 65 yrs old, has been weight lifting, has screwed up her metabolism due to yo-yo diets, too many chemical filled/quick fix/body builder/energy products and horrible night-shift sleep habits. I think W30 is really going to help her.

Day 21!

PreWO: Turkey meatballs and almond butter

PostWO/Breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, avocado

Lunch: Spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

Dinner: sweet potato bowl with meatballs, broccoli and olive oil

Great day! Still feeling good!

Day 22:

~PreWO: turkey meatballs and almond butter

~PostWO/breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, avocado

~Lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecans and olive oil

~Dinner: kind of random but I got all the food groups - cashews with raisins, turkey meatballs.

Feeling cranky and crampy today and then it all became clear - Aunt Flo arrived two days early. Weird. I can usually predict it down to the hour on day 28. It's never early.

Felt like a beast at my workout today and I'm raring to go back tomorrow. This will be my second week of doing CF 4 days/wk and it feels great!

Day 23:

~preWO: meatballs, almond butter

~breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, avocado

~lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

~dinner: sweet potato, burger patty, cashews, raisins

Day 24:

~Breakfast: 3 hb eggs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: spinach salad, chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

~Snack: cashews and raisins

~Dinner: Salsa chicken over sweet potato with guac

So close to the end! This week I've been on autopilot mode so I apologize for the super redundant meals. We should be doing some cooking tomorrow for Sunday Prep and mixing things up. I think I'm going to try making salmon patties finally, along with the usual meatballs, steak, eggs, sweet potatoes... Almost done!

Day 25!

~Breakfast: sweet potato, meatballs, guac, pineapple

~Lunch: spinach salad with apple, chicken, pecan, olive oil, sweet potato chips

~Dinner: steak, sweet potato, salad

Got most of my Sunday prep done and feeling great. Hard to believe there's just 5 days left. My mom starts her Whole30 tomorrow!

Day 26:

~preWO: meatballs, almond butter

~breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, avocado

~lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil, macadamia nuts

~snack: cashews & raisins

~dinner: salsa chicken on sweet potato with avocado

I felt like a total beast today at the gym! I think the tiger blood has come in finally. I just feel really great and have plenty of energy. My face seems to have a "pregnant glow" like I had with my two kids except now I'm not pregnant! My nails are growing like crazy, my digestive track loves me and I haven't had a headache in a long time. All of this has me considering extending my Whole30 to a Whole60. Why would I want to go back to eating stuff that makes me feel bad? I've come so far in just a month, I wonder how much further I'll be in 60 days... Anyway, I'm sure anyone who's done this can relate to these thoughts. Definitely looking forward to the data collection on Day 30. I feel like lots of things have changed and I hope there's numbers to prove it.

Day 27

preWO: meatballs & almond butter

breakfast: sweet potato, meatballs, avocado

lunch: spinach salad with steak, apple, pecan, macadamia nut, olive oil

snack: almond butter, meatballs

late dinner: chicken curry with sweet potato and baked cauliflower 'rice' - yum!

Day 28

preWO: meatballs, almond butter

breakfast: sweet potato, hb eggs, meatball, avocado

lunch: spinach salad, chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

snack: (met work friends for an afternoon meeting at restaurant) chicken apple walnut salad with no blue cheese, no dressing. It was kind of mediocre so I only ate the important stuff and left the sad lettuce. Drank seltzer with lime - tasty and no charge!

dinner: salsa chicken over sweet potato with avocado

Day 29

Blood draw for my end results

breakfast: meatballs, banana, macadamia nuts & pecans (weird but portable for after the blood draw!)

lunch: spinach salad with steak, hb eggs, apple, pecan, olive oil

snack: cashews & raisins

dinner: chicken, cauliflower rice, avocado, paleo ketchup

Hard to believe tomorrow's day 30! I'm debating whether to go right into another Whole30 or take a week off for Passover. My in laws will be in town for the beginning of Passover which means lots of cooking, family dinners and wine. By its nature, Passover is bread free and (for some jews, me included) rice, bean and corn free. So, it would be easy to skip the bland matzah and just keep it straight paleo. However...the special holiday foods...I'm not sure yet. I'm going to look into paleo-ified Passover foods to see if I can sub out some of it.

Archived