Two Questions for AIP- vinegar and mayo

Ok, I am dx Hashi's, and when I was dx over the summer, my antibodies were "off the charts" apparently.  I am not and was not symptomatic of hypothyroidism.  An enlarged thyroid noticed by my PCP during a routine visit triggered testing that ultimately discovered my Hashi's (and I learned of a strong family history of Graves or hashi's). No other AI diseases have been noted in my family history.

I'm on Day 29 of my first W30, and I did a regular one, and I feel good.  However, I'm not tired or lack energy, so to speak, but I never experienced "tiger blood".  I'm considering doing an autoimmune protocol starting this monday. Not classically W30, but looking at the food list, doesn't eating AIP inherently become W30 :)

Anyway, I use homemade mayo alot in my recipes.  Has anyone found a good AIP mayo substitute.  I know Paleo mom uses egg yolks in hers, but her site recommends starting the AIP completely egg free, then test yolks.  So, for the coming trial, I was hoping to find the impossible--a seed oil, seed, nut, and eggfree AIP Paleo mayo that tastes good.

Also, is there a limit on vinegars on AIP?  I cannot tell by the  ISWF AIP shopping list if there are certain vinegars ok or to be avoided, like balsamic, white vinegar, or apple cider.

Thanks.  I did search the forum, and unless my search skills suck, I didn't exactly find what I was looking for.

Ok, I am dx Hashi's, and when I was dx over the summer, my antibodies were "off the charts" apparently.  I am not and was not symptomatic of hypothyroidism.  An enlarged thyroid noticed by my PCP during a routine visit triggered testing that ultimately discovered my Hashi's (and I learned of a strong family history of Graves or hashi's). No other AI diseases have been noted in my family history.

I'm on Day 29 of my first W30, and I did a regular one, and I feel good.  However, I'm not tired or lack energy, so to speak, but I never experienced "tiger blood".  I'm considering doing an autoimmune protocol starting this monday. Not classically W30, but looking at the food list, doesn't eating AIP inherently become W30 :)

Anyway, I use homemade mayo alot in my recipes.  Has anyone found a good AIP mayo substitute.  I know Paleo mom uses egg yolks in hers, but her site recommends starting the AIP completely egg free, then test yolks.  So, for the coming trial, I was hoping to find the impossible--a seed oil, seed, nut, and eggfree AIP Paleo mayo that tastes good.

Also, is there a limit on vinegars on AIP?  I cannot tell by the  ISWF AIP shopping list if there are certain vinegars ok or to be avoided, like balsamic, white vinegar, or apple cider.

Thanks.  I did search the forum, and unless my search skills suck, I didn't exactly find what I was looking for.

The Clothes Make The Girl has an egg free mayo recipe unfortunately it uses flax seeds. I can't remember if flax is AIP compliant. Here is the link http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

The Clothes Make The Girl has an egg free mayo recipe unfortunately it uses flax seeds. I can't remember if flax is AIP compliant. Here is the link http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

Unfortunately flax seeds are not part of the AIP protocol. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-Autoimmune.pdf

It's not mayo exactly, but if you're after something wet for dipping, pesto is awesome (if you can have basil & olive oil).

Pesto is really flavour and fat, the rest is detail. The only fat I'd avoid for it is coconut oil, but that's just because I think it tastes weird with basil ;)

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/the-autoimmune-protocol-guide-to-fats/

Avocado is another good not-mayo (if you can have it).

I can have avocado, and I've made avocado "mayo" before, but it doesn't work in all dishes. 

I'm still on the fence if I will do an AIP protocol next, or if I will wait until after my next endo apt to see how my bloodwork and anti-bodies are doing and decide from there.  If I'm not symptomatic, it may not be necessary.  Thanks for the responses.

I'm doing AIP (The Paleo Approach version, not the W30 version) - I'm just not having mayo at all, I couldn't find any mayo recipes that fit the AIP.  I did just make coconut milk kefir and I'm thinking of experimenting with adding some salt, vinegar and herbs to that to see if it makes a passable creamy dip/sauce.  

• 2 months later...

I'm planning to do AIP during my next Whole30, starting July 1st.  I'm spending the time in between working on planning & prep, including alternatives for things that I "can't live without" :P - one of which is Well Fed mayo, I love that stuff!!

My post here got some ideas for the mayo, so I'll let you know how they work for me, in case you'd rather not be the taster/tester. :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Mickey Trescott in her cookbook has several fantastic AIP mayo/aioli/dressing recipes using coconut manna. I am AIP and its the best I've found, particularly if you make it caesar salad-y so that the garlic etc hide the coconut flavor. 

Here you go:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/egg-free-mayonnaise-recipe/

AIP MAYO - EGG AND SEED FREE

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup coconut butter (also called coconut manna or coconut concentrate), slightly warmed. Find coconut butter here or learn how to make it by blending coconut flakes in a food processor here.
  • 1/2 cup warm filtered water
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt

Instructions

1. Place the coconut concentrate, warm water, olive oil, garlic cloves and salt in a blender and blend on high for a minute or two, until the sauce thickens. Let cool for an hour at room temperature – alternately, you can place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. If you would like to use the sauce in a cold dish, thin with water until the desired consistency is reached.

Notes

This keeps well in the refrigerator, but it hardens. Let come to room-temperature or warm gently before using.

Archived