3/13/14 Start Date

aau3

This is Day 1 of my second Whole 30. Today went fairly well. I made sure to have plenty of approved foods on hard this time (learned from last one), and I made a delicious meal tonight! Here is my log:

Breakfast- 2 eggs, spinach, ground elk burger, California veggies, & blueberries

Snack- Cashew Cookie LaraBar

Lunch- Steamed Asapargus, Smoked Salmon, Olives, and strawberries

Snack- Apple & Hard-boiled egg

Supper- Chicken Enchilada Stew, Steamed Cauliflower, Avocado

Activty- REP Circuit Workout, 3 mile run, yoga class

I probably went a little fruit heavy today, but I figure I would ease my body into relying on less sugar. 

We have the same start day!  I'll be following you on your journey!

I've noticed some people stick to 3 meals but it's nice to see you have a snack!  Day 1 I got a pretty bad headache so i wonder if it was the sugar getting to me...or the lack of! 

This is Day 1 of my second Whole 30. Today went fairly well. I made sure to have plenty of approved foods on hard this time (learned from last one), and I made a delicious meal tonight! Here is my log:

Breakfast- 2 eggs, spinach, ground elk burger, California veggies, & blueberries

Snack- Cashew Cookie LaraBar

Lunch- Steamed Asapargus, Smoked Salmon, Olives, and strawberries

Snack- Apple & Hard-boiled egg

Supper- Chicken Enchilada Stew, Steamed Cauliflower, Avocado

Activty- REP Circuit Workout, 3 mile run, yoga class

I probably went a little fruit heavy today, but I figure I would ease my body into relying on less sugar. 

We have the same start day!  I'll be following you on your journey!

I've noticed some people stick to 3 meals but it's nice to see you have a snack!  Day 1 I got a pretty bad headache so i wonder if it was the sugar getting to me...or the lack of! 

Hi folks.

Just a clarification on the meals/snack thing.  The idea is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, as that's better for overall hormonal balance.  Following the recommended meal template is the best way to create those meals. 

The need to snack can be an indication that your earlier meals are not big enough.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after meals.

Watch the Larabars - while compliant, they are emergency food only on a Whole30. 

Thanks Chris,

I want to get to the point where I only have 3 meals a day, but I am a fitness instructor and I had a Larabar in my gym bag and needed the energy, so it was kind of an emergency. I am trying to see how my body works with my high level of activity and transitioning into the whole30 again. I plan to spend this weekend working on only 3 meals a day going into next week. 

Day 2 is in the books! I definitely struggled waking up this morning, and I was tired all day. Otherwise, I feel pretty good. I am ready to get over the "hangover." Hoping it is sooner, rather than later!

Pre-Workout- Cherries/Almonds/HB Egg

Activity- Instructed Cycling Class, Power Yoga Class

Meal 1- 2 eggs, egg whites, spinach, Asian-style Veggies, pork sausage, strawberries

Meal 2- Leftover Chicken Enchilada Stew, Steamed Cauliflower, Olives, Apple

Meal 3- Baked Salmon, ½ Sweet Potato, Spaghetti Squash, Avocados

I cut it down to 3 meals and 1 small meal before I instructed classes. The goal for tomorrow is 3 meals, but it depends on when I get my run in! Hope everyone else is doing well:)

Day 3 has come and gone! I can already tell this Whole30 is better than my first experience. This probably because I was mostly dairy-free going into it. I have not had the same effects as I did in the first few days. I remember being miserable. Here is a look at my day:

Meal 1- 2 eggs, egg whites, spinach, Asian-style Veggies, pork sausage, strawberries

Meal 2- Leftover Chicken Enchilada Stew, Steamed Cauliflower, Olives, Apple, almond butter

Meal 3- Turkey Burger w/ ½ Avocado, ½ Sweet Potato, Asparagus

Activity- Insanity (Cardio Power & Resistance)

Feelings: Wow, I felt good today. I slept so well last night, and I am starting to get my energy back. Again, I was not hungry between meals and I stuck to only 3 meals! 

Day 4 is over- hooray!

Meal 1- Loaded Paleo Skillet w/ Pork Sausage, 1 Egg, Salsa, Strawberries, Black Coffee

Meal 2- Turkey Burger w/ ½ Avocado, Egg whites & Asparagus, Apple, almond butter

Meal 3- Paleo Chili, Spaghetti Squash, Avocado

Activity- 5 Mile Run, League Volleyball (2 games)

Feelings: Today was another good one. I did some meal prep (made egg/bacon muffins and Paleo Chili). I had lots of energy at volleyball even after already running. I am amazed at how much better this round of the whole30 is.

Day 5 Log

Meal 1- 2 Egg/Bacon Muffins w/ Salsa, Strawberries

Meal 2- Turkey Burger w/ ½ Avocado, Baby Carrots, Sweet Potato, HB Egg

Meal 3- Paleo Chili w/ ½ Avocado, Cauliflower, Olives

Pre-Workout Meal- HB Egg, ½ Banana

Activity- Spin Class, 2 Mile Run

Feelings: Back to work today after spring break! It was hard getting up to instruct spin class this morning, but I was energetic afterwards. I felt some hunger mid-afternoon and I had some sugar cravings after seeing the kids St. Patrick's day treats. Overall, it was a good day.

Day 6

Meal 1- 2 Egg, Pork Sausage, Winter Mixed Veggies, Strawberries, Kombucha

Meal 2- Leftover Paleo Chili, Cucumber, Grapefruit, HB Egg

Meal 3- Chicken, Sweet Potato, Asparagus

Pre-Workout Meal- Cashews, Small Apple

Activity- REP Strength Circuit, Yoga Class

Feelings: Today was a little bit tougher, but I made it. I didn't get enough sleep, and my morning workout came real early. I wasn't too hungry, but I knew I would need energy to instruct evening yoga class. Ready for Day 7!

Day 7- 3/19/14

Meal 1- Eggs, Egg Whites, Blue Berries, California Veggies, Almond Butter, Kombucha

Meal 2- Leftover Paleo Chili, Cucumber, Pomelo, HB Egg

Meal 3- Spaghetti Squash, Elk Meat Spaghetti Sauce, Asparagus, Avocado

Pre-Workout Meal- HB Egg, Walnuts & Almonds

Activity- 4 Mile Run

Feelings: Today was pretty exhausting, and I am ready to go to sleep. I know I probably ate too many nuts/nut butter today, but it was all I had on hand. Bring on Day 8!

Day 8- 3/20/14

Meal 1- 2 Egg/Bacon Muffins w/ Salsa, Strawberries, California Veggies, Kombucha

Meal 2- Leftover Paleo Spaghetti Squash & Elk Sauce, ½ Avocado, Oroblanco

Meal 3- Paleo Chili, ½ Avocado

Pre-Workout Meal- Sweet Potato & HB Egg

Activity- REP Strength Circuit, Yoga Class

Feelings: It was a better day. I had more energy, but I was tired by the end of the day. My skin has been amazing though. I have probably noticed that the most. Otherwise, I have been trying to power through workouts. I am ready for the “extra†energy! 

Day 9- 3/21/14

Meal 1- 1 Egg, Egg Whites, Shrimp w/ Salsa, Strawberries, California Veggies

Meal 2- HB Egg, Walnut/Almond Mix, ½ Sweet Potato, Cherries

Meal 3- California Veggie Mix, Avocado, Salmon Cakes, ½ Sweet Potato

Activity- Cycling Class

Feelings: I am so glad today was Friday. I felt good- I feel like I am not so weighted down, which is a good feeling. I am pretty tired, but I felt pretty satisfied today as far as food goes.

Day 10- 3/22/14

Meal 1- Loaded Paleo Skillet w/ Chicken Brat, 2 Eggs, Salsa, Strawberries, Black Coffee

Meal 2- Smoked Salmon, California Veggies, Apple, Almond Butter

Meal 3- Turkey Burger w/ Onions & ½ Avocado, California Veggie Mix, ½ Sweet Potato

Activity- T25- Total Body Circuit

Feelings: I finally got to sleep in, and it felt so good. I feel fully rested. I have pretty much decided by now that I will not bring dairy back in to my diet. I know that I am lactose intolerant, but I would always try to eat some dairy here and there. It isn't worth it. Maybe once or twice a week if I were to go to dinner. Otherwise, my life is way better without dairy (not that I don't love the taste). 

Day 11- 3/23/14

Meal 1- Loaded Paleo Skillet w/ Pork Sausage, 2 Eggs, Salsa, California Veggies, Strawberries, Black Coffee

Meal 2- Chicken Breast, California Veggies, Apple, Almond Butter

Meal 3- Spicy Paleo Chili, Avocado, Banana, HB Egg

Activity- 6 Mile Run, League Volleyball

Feelings: Today was really good! I felt really good on my run, and I recovered pretty well. I also did lots of meal prep for the week that I am excited about! It will save lots of time. This whole 30 is so much better than the first time I did it. I can't believe it is already day 11.

Day 12- 3/24/14

Meal 1- 2 Egg/Bacon Muffins w/ Salsa, Strawberries, Winter Veggies, Kombucha, Black Coffee

Meal 2- Italian Sausage Stuffing, Sweet Potato, Oroblanco

Meal 3- Spicy Paleo Chili, Avocado, California Veggies

Pre Workout- Lara Bar, HB Egg

Activity- Spin Class, 2 Mile Run

Feelings: I woke up fully refreshed this morning. Spin class was a lot “peppier†this morning. I did have dreams last night about eating pizza and ruining my progress, so here is where the dreams are coming in.  I have been getting some compliments on how I look, so I think something is working.

Day 13- 3/25/14

Meal 1- Loaded Paleo Skillet w/ Pork Sausage, 1 Egg, Salsa, Winter Veggies, Kombucha, Black Coffee

Meal 2- Turkey Burger, ½ Sweet Potato, Avocado, Apple, Almond Butter

Meal 3- Spicy Paleo Chili, Avocado, California Veggies

Pre Workout- Lara Bar, HB Egg

Activity- REP Circuit Workout, Yoga Class

Feelings: Today was another good one. I was shocked I made it all day on only 3 meals even with two workouts. I just wasn't really that hungry. I was looking back at my blog from my last whole 30, and my energy started to pick up about this time in the process. I also was looking, and I did not workout much the first two weeks on my last one, but I have workout out every day during this round. I am hoping the results will be that much better.

Day 14- 3/26/14

Meal 1- Banana, Strawberries, Blueberries, Egg, Egg Whites, Almond Butter, Winter Veggie Mix, Kombucha

Meal 2- Spicy Paleo Chili, Avocado, Oroblanco

Meal 3- Pepper Steak (Round), Sweet Potato, California Veggies, Olives

Activity- 4.5 Miles Run

Feelings: Today was good, but I sure wish I would have ate before my run this morning. I went on an empty stomach, and I definitely lacked energy. I did not run as fast as normal. I ate more fruits for breakfast than I should have, but they were the only thing that sounded good after the run. Otherwise, the day was good. 

Day 15- 3/27/14

Meal 1- Blueberries, Egg, Chicken Sausage, Salsa, Winter Veggie Mix, Kombucha

Meal 2- Italian Sausage Stuffing, ½ Sweet Potato, Strawberries, HB Egg

Meal 3- Pepper Steak (Round) & Leftover Paleo Chili, California Veggies, Avocado

Pre-Workout- HB Egg Whites, Lara Bar

Activity- REP Circuit Workout, Yoga Class

Feelings: It's day 15- halfway through this whole 30. I started the morning pretty sluggish. My trainer even said my diet must be impacting me today (he is very supportive of what I am doing). After the workout, I was good to go. Thursdays are long days for me, so I am definitely glad it's over. I felt a lot more hungry today than I have been, so I just ate larger portions. Hoping the next half of this process will be even better!

Try dropping the Lara Bar as your preWO food.  The preWO recommendation is protein and optional fat, no fruit. 

Eating larger portions sounds like a good move for today.

Also, in transitioning to being more fat adapted, you might be sluggish for another week or so.  Hang in there.

Day 16- 3/28/14

Meal 1- Blueberries, Eggs, Shrimp, Salsa, Sweet Potato, Winter Veggie Mix, Kombucha

Meal 2- 3 HB Egg Whites, 1 HB Egg, Green Beans, Oroblanco

Meal 3- Salmon Cakes, California Veggies, Avocado, Peaches & Almond Butter

Activity- Spin Class

Feelings: Today was a very LONG day. I honestly have not been feeling as much energy as I thought I would by now. I am not really sure what the deal is. I also worked at a concession stand tonight before I ate supper, and the food really made me have some cravings. I held strong, but that was a good test for me.

Day 17- 3/30/14

Meal 1- Leftover Round Steak w/ Veggies & Avocado, Kombucha

Meal 2- HB Egg, Lara Bar (on the go)

Meal 3- Leftover Sausage Stuffing w/ Veggies

Activity- 6.5 Mile Run

Feelings: I got great sleep last night, but today was not good at all. I felt nauseous all day starting towards the end of my run. I hardly had an appetite, and I had to make myself eat food. I had energy, but I have had a yucky feeling in my tummy all day. Ready for day 18.

I would suggest having at least one carb dense vegetable daily to help you with your energy.  In looking at your log I can see some days where you had 1/2 a sweet potato: eat the WHOLE potato, and do that daily.  If you want more variety, rotate in winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga or parsnips.

Day 18- 3/30/14

Meal 1- 2 Eggs, Egg Whites, Pork Sausage, Winter Veggie Mix, Strawberries, & Kombucha

Meal 2- Smoked Salmon, Baby Carrots, Apple w/ Almond Butter,

Meal 3- Taco Salad w/ Ground Beef, Avocado, Olives, & Salsa

Activity- 3 Mile Run

Feelings: I felt better today, but my appetite was still not fully there. I still had a bit of a nauseous feeling, and I couldn't seem to get enough sleep. I am thinking I might have a touch of something, but it won't just fully hit me. I ate 3 meals, but my portions were much smaller than usual. I am hoping tomorrow will bring better feelings.

Day 19- 3/31/14

Meal 1- 2 Eggs, Turkey Sausage,1/2 Sweet Potato, Salsa, Steamed Cauliflower, Blueberries, & Kombucha

Meal 2- Smoked Salmon, Steamed California Veggies, Apple w/ Almond Butter,

Meal 3- Chicken Enchilada Soup, Avocado, & Olives

Activity- Spin Class

Feelings: I woke up a few times in the night (mainly to check the weather), and spin class was pretty good. On the way to the rec center, I got the call from the school saying we had a snow day today!! I was surprised, because there was hardly any snow at the time. Now we have snow and cold and wind, so I am glad I am home snuggled in where it is warm. It also gave me a day to food prep and do homework, so this winter storm had good timing. I felt a lot better today than I had been feeling the past couple of days.

Archived