Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of food….

BillS

Starting my Post-Whole30 (+3) log today.  My journey started here.  I'm 34 days into the process.  Today was my first day fully out of the structure of Whole30, and I didn't stray too far.  I did introduce some small portions of beans the last couple days without incident.  Big fancy dinner tonight.  So….

Day 34 / Reintroduction Day 1

M1 - 2 Scotch eggs with mayo; 1/2 sweet potato

M2 - Salad:  Chicken breast, lettuce, dill pickle, cucumber, red pepper, vinaigrette

Snack - Apple

M3 - At Bay Wolf:  Braised lamb shoulder with red pepper and onion; lemon mashed potatoes; taste of duck breast

I didn't quiz the server about the ingredients in the dinner, but assume there was butter in the potatoes and maybe a little sugar in the sauce on the lamb.  The quantities would have been small in either case and I'm heading into a nearly 100% compliant weekend.  No ill effects so far.

As for the rest of my reintroduction schedule, I'm not craving anything specific right now.  I might have a drink this weekend just to see how it impacts me.  Same with sugar early next week…maybe some chocolate or a cookie.  I guess I'm interested in having little samples of things so I know what to expect if I run into them in the wild.  I have some big celebration meals coming up in the next month and want to safely enjoy them.

I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about not having the hard boundaries (i.e., safety rails) of Whole30.  I don't want to fall back into old food patterns.  At least I know what to do if I get too far off the path.  For now, I'll take it slow and continue the N=1 experiment.

Reintroduction Day 2

M1 – Spinach in coconut oil with onion and chicken breast; two eggs over medium; 1/2 sweet potato; 1 slice of homemade "Paleo" bread from a friend

M2 –Salad with lettuce, olives, sauerkraut, and chicken breast

Snack – Apple; Primal Pack

M3 – Epic turkey bar; three hard boiled eggs with hot sauce

No new foods reintroduced today. I wanted to see the impact of yesterday's big meal. I felt great all day! I was up early, like 4:00 AM, and worked nonstop all day. My energy never flagged. It was one of my most productive days in a very long time.

One exciting new discovery: One of my usual grocery stores now has bags of cooked, peeled hard-boiled eggs by the half-dozen. I think I have my new road food. I'll keep a bottle of hot sauce in my car.

Reintroduction Day 3

M1 – Spinach sautéed in coconut oil with onion and pancetta; three eggs over medium; banana

Exercise – Four hours cross-country skiing

Trail Snacks – Cinnamon applesauce; one prune; almond butter; Primal Pack

Post workout – two hard-boiled egg whites with hot sauce

Snack – Strawberries

M3 – Martini; steak; broccoli with hot peppers; salad with olives and vinaigrette

Today was my reintroduction to alcohol. I had a gin martini (Boodles, up, two olives, stirred) before dinner. I honestly thought it would hit me harder than it did. I felt great. I'll check it out in the morning and see if there are any lingering effects.

The cross-country skiing went great today. I had very even, consistent energy the whole time I was out. During my rest stops I felt completely normal…like I hadn't been working out at all. I have seemingly endless "slowburn" energy. I need to ramp up my "zippy" energy. I guess I want a little more spring in my step.

Reintroduction Day 4

Martini Update - I felt great last night, until I went to bed.  Then I was unable to sleep, despite being tired and having a ton of exercise.  Alcohol does this to me occasionally.  Lesson learned.

M1 - Spinach sautéed in coconut oil with onion and pancetta; three eggs over medium; banana and strawberries

Exercise - Two hours cross-country skiing

Trail Snacks - Cinnamon applesauce; cashew butter

M2 - Hardboiled eggs; salad with lettuce, olives, sauerkraut, and sardines; strawberries

Snack - Mixed nuts

M3 - Chipotle:  Salad with carnitas, hot sauce, and guacamole

Really great ski today.  I felt better than any other day this year, both physically and from a technique perspective.  I had moments of bliss out there today.

Reintroduction Day 5

M1 - Three eggs; 1/2 sweet potato

M2 - Salad:  Chicken, lettuce, cucumber, onions, red pepper, avocado, EVOO, vinegar; pear; kombucha

M3 - Pork loin; 1/2 sweet potato; asparagus with mayo

Dessert - 2 chocolate bars

OK…today was a bit of a fail.  Or more appropriately, a "result."  I planned to introduce sugar back into my world today and bought two chocolate bars at the store.  Alas, I found that I had almost no control with them and fell back into a pattern of "eating all the bad stuff at once so it's gone."  I haven't had any negative physical effects yet, but feel an emotional let-down.  The good news is that I know how to fix it!  Back to the plan….

Reintroduction Day 6

Chocolate Update - I didn't feel particularly well last night after eating the chocolate bars.  This morning was more of the same.  I struggled to get out of bed, felt bloated and puffy, and wasn't as sharp as I have been of late.  I guess chocolate is not my friend.

M1 - Pork loin; 1 piece homemade pale bread; strawberries and 1/2 banana

M2 - Salad with lettuce, orange peppers, dill pickle, olives, pork loin, and a balsamic vinaigrette

Snack - Lara blueberry bar; mixed nuts

M3 - Salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, and steak

Snack - Italian sausage patties

Despite the Chocolate Affair last night, I felt pretty good for most of the day.  Later this evening I realized how hungry I was.  All my meals were smaller than they should have been and they lacked a variety of vegetables.  I remedied this by making a couple pounds of Italian sausage patties and cooking them for the week.  I ate a few tonight to test them and was quite pleased with the result.

Tomorrow is a big day!  I plan to reintroduce dairy with some yogurt at breakfast.  Wish me luck!

Reintroduction Day 7

M1 - Pork loin; Italian sausage patty; strawberries, 1/2 banana, yogurt (plain, organic, full-fat)

M2 - Salad with lettuce, orange pepper, olives, and Italian sausage

Snack - Apple

M3 - Citrus, beet, and greens salad; duck breast and duck kabob with greens, potato, and beans; martini

Snack - Italian sausage with mustard

I felt OK today, but not great.  I feel like some of the tiger blood is fading.  That could be changes in diet and/or lack of sleep.  I was fine, just not super sharp.

The yogurt seemed to be OK this morning, and tasted really good!  I'll play with it again in a few days to see how I respond.  Something in my dinner out tonight didn't agree with me.  Because it was a restaurant meal and combined a few off-plan foods, I'm not exactly sure what.  I'd had a martini and some beans before without too much distress (other than disrupted sleep).  Or maybe, perhaps, three meals with Italian sausage is over the top?  D'oh! Tomorrow is the last of my Three Nights Out phase, so I'll do a WholeWeekend to reset a bit.

Reintroduction Day 8

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach, onion, Serrano pepper, and salsa

M2 - Salad with lettuce, orange pepper, olives, and Italian sausage

Snack - Lemon Lara Bar

M3 - Went to a Persian New Year's party and did a lot of off-roading.  Here's what I had, as well as I can describe it:  Raw, fresh almonds and walnuts; 1 glass of champagne; baked salmon; white rice with lots of fresh herbs (dill and green garlic?); a vegetable frittata-like dish with tons of fresh, green things, and a little egg and flour to bind it together; salad; asparagus; dried figs; six assorted bite-sized cookies.  All of the food was absolutely amazing!  I'm actually very happy with how I handled the party.  One glass of champagne and what amounts to maybe two full-sized cookies…that's not bad!  I did NOT have wine, tons of bread and cheese, homemade ice cream, hummus, and pepper vodka shots.  There were lots of temptations!  

Reintroduction Day 7

M1 - Pork loin; Italian sausage patty; strawberries, 1/2 banana, yogurt (plain, organic, full-fat)

M2 - Salad with lettuce, orange pepper, olives, and Italian sausage

Snack - Apple

M3 - Citrus, beet, and greens salad; duck breast and duck kabob with greens, potato, and beans; martini

Snack - Italian sausage with mustard

I felt OK today, but not great.  I feel like some of the tiger blood is fading.  That could be changes in diet and/or lack of sleep.  I was fine, just not super sharp.

The yogurt seemed to be OK this morning, and tasted really good!  I'll play with it again in a few days to see how I respond.  Something in my dinner out tonight didn't agree with me.  Because it was a restaurant meal and combined a few off-plan foods, I'm not exactly sure what.  I'd had a martini and some beans before without too much distress (other than disrupted sleep).  Or maybe, perhaps, three meals with Italian sausage is over the top?  D'oh! Tomorrow is the last of my Three Nights Out phase, so I'll do a WholeWeekend to reset a bit.

Hi Bill.

Just checking - do you have a copy of the recommended reintro schedule? Whole 30 recommends reintroducing the food group in question at all 3 meals in 1 day, keeping all else Whole30 compliant.  This is followed by two days of 100% Whole30 eating before moving onto the next food group, following the same protocol.

Once you reintroduce a food group, you don't have it again until you complete your reintroduction process.

Following this type of schedule may give you more clear results.

Chris - Thanks for the tips.  It wasn't clear to me from the reintro schedule that having the new item at all three meals was part of the plan.  I'll adjust that in the future.

Bill

Reintroduction Wrap-Up

I'm pretty much through with my reintroductions.  I didn't find anything that was tragically bad on my system in small quantities.  I'll continue limiting dairy and gluten and will more or less stick to the W30 guidelines moving forward.  I want to see how this new lifestyle settles in over the next month.  Right now, I plan another W30 starting in May, but I might accelerate that to sooner depending on how I'm feeling.  Between now and then, I will switch my focus to sleep and exercise.  Assuming I hold the line on nutrition, these are the largest improvement opportunities for me.

I'll start a "life after W30" thread and check in from time to time.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Bill

Archived