Flu on day 6... again!

liat

I tried to do a whole30 last year, but contracted the stomach flu on day 6 (actually, it was my first time throwing up since I was 5 years old!) that scared me and made all the whole30 food in my fridge completely unappetizing (I associated all of them w throwing up). That time, I only made it to day 8.

Now that I'm trying again, I was surprised and spooked that on day 6 of this whole30, I contracted the flu. I rarely get sick and even more rarely am I sick with a fever. Today is day 8 for me, and I'm feeling sort of nervous about that fact that I seem to reliably get sick within a week of beginning a new whole30 attempt! I'm going to drink lots of Imagine chicken broth and eat lots of squash with coconut oil today, but I'm also afraid to continue my whole30 for much longer if this doesn't let up!

Can someone explain what's going on? Is this a good sign? I wouldn't be so upset, except that the last time I was this sick was the last time I tried a whole30! Also, the whole30 motivational emails suggest now is the time I should be feeling the "magic," but obviously I all I feel is super icky.

Thanks so much in advance for the help and advice! :)

I'm sorry this happened to you ... again.

While it is an odd coincidence, I find a hard time wrapping my brain around eating healthy whole foods would give anyone the stomach flu.

For what it's worth, in my neck of the woods, (northeast US), stomach flu is going around big time right now.

Could you possibly be allergic to something you're introducing?  Other than that, I have no other ideas ... I'm sorry ... I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for your help, Chris! I'm definitely not allergic to anything I've been eating--I was just at the allergist. This time around, it's more of a sinus-y flu than a stomach flu.

I should also mention that my normal diet is very similar to the whole30 diet, but with more fruit and less meat.

Do you think I should keep going? Or is it a better idea to stop and see a doctor?

Chris, thank you so much. That is great advice!

Much to my relief, I went through the Whole30 Daily emails again and noticed this on Day 3:

"It's not uncommon for folks to catch the bug or cold that's going around during the first week of their Whole30. Your immune system is working hard right now to help you heal, and it may be too distracted or overworked to be able to fight off a bacterial or viral invader."

Pretty cool that the email essentially predicted this would happen! Though, I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be a more common problem. In any case, I'm going to stick with it, and maybe decrease my meat intake a bit.

Thanks again for your encouragement, Chris. I really appreciate it 

Archived