Whole30 Newbie w/Question

johanna0528

Before I jump on the bandwagon after a full month of excuses and fear, I do have a few questions that I have not found answers to...

Does it matter how often you eat while doing this? A friend told me you're not supposed to snack while doing Whole30--just the standard 3 meals/ day--but I don't find anything in the rules about that. I tend to eat 4-5 smaller meals in a day, but I want to get this right!

Any suggestions/ thoughts? What are you guys doing out there?

Oh! And other question...how soon into the program are my fellow sedentary Whole30ers working out? :) Detox + sudden physical activity can get ugly when you've been out of shape!! So, just wondering if I should let those first few days pass first before I start moving again...

Before I jump on the bandwagon after a full month of excuses and fear, I do have a few questions that I have not found answers to...

Does it matter how often you eat while doing this? A friend told me you're not supposed to snack while doing Whole30--just the standard 3 meals/ day--but I don't find anything in the rules about that. I tend to eat 4-5 smaller meals in a day, but I want to get this right!

Any suggestions/ thoughts? What are you guys doing out there?

Welcome! Yes. You should eat 3 meals a day and they should follow the meal template. You may need to eat 4 meals a day in the beginning until you can figure out how much you need to eat to keep you satisfied until your next meal. The best place to start is on the first page of the website scroll down until you see the first big blue circle. This should also direct you  to the shopping list and Can I Have post with more frequently asked questions. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf.   http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Regarding workouts you might want to check out the timeline. There may be a few days that you just don't feel like it. Don't worry about working out sometimes rest is the best medicine. Here is the timeline link. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/.  and the link to the Can I Have post. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Also read your labels very carefully even on things you just know are compliant like Tuna. There is soy is some canned tuna. There is soy and stevia in some tea bags. Good Luck!

Welcome Johanna, nothing to fear here!

On snacking, there are rules and then there are recommendations...the rules don't tell you how many times to eat per day, but we recommend people limit their eating to three meals (+pre- and post-Workout if applicable). It is good for the body to have a break between eating sessions for digestion and hormones. It is worth it to work on adjusting portions during meals to get to the point where you are comfortable going without food until the next one. Worth the trouble, but not required.

Oh! And other question...how soon into the program are my fellow sedentary Whole30ers working out? :) Detox + sudden physical activity can get ugly when you've been out of shape!! So, just wondering if I should let those first few days pass first before I start moving again...

The whole30 isn't really a detox in the standard description. You are pretty well supported with nutrition during the entire whole30 process. That said, there is no rule that says you must workout. I gauge my workouts by how I feel: if I believe the workout will help alleviate stress, and not add to it (and make me healther, not less healthy) then I go for it. If not, then a sauna or a walk or a nap(!) is a better choice. 

• 1 month later...

take a look at the links posted by Tina above, those should help a lot. Most veggies and fruit are allowed (and encouraged!) but white potatoes and corn are excluded. Green tea is permitted as long as it doesn't contain sweeteners or soy (watch for stevia leaf and soy lecithin in tea).

Archived