Eating in the Locker Room? Pre & Post WO meal

Chapin

I have a question about the PWO meal, which I am supposed to eat within 30 minutes of my workout.

Thirty minutes after my workout, I'm still in the locker room, having showered and changed, and likely finishing up blow-drying my hair and doing make-up.   

The gym is in my office building, and I would be able to eat about 40 minutes after workout - so my options are either to bring something that I could eat while getting ready, or something that I could eat when I get to my desk.  Either way, it needs to be fast, and not require heating.

Would a hard-cooked egg be sufficient?  I was planning to eat that pre-workout, should I just have one both pre-and post?  And what would be an appropriate carb-dense vegetable to have with it - the only thing I can think of is carrots?

If it matters - my workouts are Mondays with a trainer, Tuesday - 40 minutes on the treadmill, doing an interval course, Wednesday - light cardio walking, THursday - Trainer, Friday - treadmill repeat, Saturday - light cardio walking, Sunday - off. 

The recommendation is to eat post-WO within 30 minutes, so yes, some people eat this in the locker room before they jump in the shower. I think it depends a little on your goals and your workouts, though. When you workout in the morning, are you eating meal #1 beforehand? If not, then I would emphasize having the pre-WO meal as pretty important to get your hormones up and running for the day. For me, one hardboiled egg works great, but any combination of protein and fat that is easy on your stomach is fine. Post-Workout food is most important when your workouts are quite intense. So, if it were me, I might plan on some lean protein to eat right after my workout on trainer days, and possibly--depending on the intensity--on treadmill interval days (add starchy carb if that feels good for you), but on light cardio walking days I wouldn't worry about it. Just eat meal #1 before or after: whatever works for your routine.

I workout in the morning... During my Whole30 I ate Meal #1 an hour before my workout then I eat PWO meal in the locker room. I was self conscious at first but got over it. No one really notices... I bring homemade turkey sausage patties because I don't mind eating them cold and I am sticking to a lean protein for that meal for weight loss. I still follow this plan. People eat protein bars and drink shakes in the locker room I don't see what's wrong with eating real food.

Archived