Proper amount of protein

I'm not sure I have this posted in the right place....

I made my way to the Whole30 book and program via a circuitous route that started roughly with info seen in the BBC 2012 series 'Horizon', episode entitled 'Eat, Fast, and Live Longer'. Intermittant fasting and the amount of protein consumption was discussed as a way to lower IGF1, which would basically prolong life. View the video program online if you haven't seen it. It called for a reduced amount of protein compared to the Whole30 or Whole9 recommendtions, I believe.

A couple weeks ago results of a new study were released. This study tracked a large sample of adults for nearly two decades, where researchers at the University of Southern Calif. found that eating a diet rich in animal proteins during middle age makes you four times more likely to die of cancer than someone with a low-protein diet. Search for "Meat and cheese may be as bad as smoking" to read about it.

So has anyone reviewed the details of this study, or is there any new guidance here since the book was published about animal protein intake?

• Moderators

If you hang around the food/blog/science/news world for a few years, you realize that new studies and new reports of old studies come out all the time - studies and reports that sound important and meaningful - but most of it is pretty meaningless and will be rebutted or forgotten quickly. Unless you are a scientist who becomes immersed in the literature and develops serious expertise, paying much attention to stuff that comes down the road is a sure route to whiplash and poorer health. I made a decision in 2010 to adopt Dallas and Melissa Hartwig as my "filters" regarding food. My plan was to remain ignorant about food myself and to just listen to them. I have not remained as ignorant as I planned to be in 2010 because I keep hanging around and learning stuff, but the truth is that the Hartwigs remain the best filters I have seen. 

I can't speak to all the science, but my quality of life is better since I increased my protein intake. My father is 92 and my mother is 87 and my health is better at 56 than their health was at my age, so I am not worried about longevity. 

Archived