Breakfast, do I need it?

va_aef

Starting my 1st whole 30 tomorrow. I did Paleo for a while about 2 years ago, then switched to low carb, and that just kind of fizzled back to regular eating.

One big question, am I suppose to eat breakfast? I usually am not hungry first thing in the morning, I did drink two cups of coffee with about a total of a half to 3/4s of a cup of whole milk (which I know is gone), and then I had a decent protein based snack at about 10ish. Am I okay to keep this pattern?

• Moderators

Whole30 asks that we eat a template meal within one hour of waking to help reset hormones. I really recommend reading It Starts With Food for further explanation of the science behind it.

Welcome!

For best results, Whole30 recommends that you have your first meal within 1 hour of waking.  

Also, if your coffee is caffeinated, the recommendation is to have coffee after your 1st meal, as caffeine is an appetite suppressant.

Is this something you can at least try for 30 days?  Eat something that fits the recommended template of protein, veg and fat. 

IMO, yes you really do need to break your fast within an hour of waking. GFchris is correct - If you hold off on having coffee until after Meal 1 it really helps. Caffeine can suppress your appetite.  At least, that has been my experience.

I struggled with the template breakfast the first few mornings - pre-Whole30 breakfast would be yoghurt and fruit with a soy latte when I'd get to work.

My first breaky omelette with greens and avocado was so hard to eat, I could have done with a quater of it but I pushed through.

Since probably Day 3 I've woken up hungry and needed to eat within that first hour :)

I've even had leftover Tandoori Chicken and mashed veg for breakfast and it was the bomb!

Definitely recommended. I too am a 'give me nothing but coffee' person most mornings, and I seem to have reverted to that a couple of months post-whole30. While I was on my whole30, however, I made the effort to eat first thing and found that it worked really well for me - I was much quicker to wake up and feel awesome than I ever am running on coffee! There may be a lesson for me here...!

I ate two hard boiled eggs about an hour and half after I woke up. I had already had two cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Getting better, but still need to move up the breakfast, 6am is just too early for hard boiled eggs!

I ate two hard boiled eggs about an hour and half after I woke up. I had already had two cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Getting better, but still need to move up the breakfast, 6am is just too early for hard boiled eggs!

Have you tried soup? It might be easier to eat in the mornings. I either add meat to it or have it on the side. Sometimes I poach my eggs right in the soup, you could also beat your eggs and then slowly add them to the boiling broth for a sort of egg drop soup.

I am totally getting more into breakfast! I am actually hungry now, which is a first.

I still haven't been eating before my first cup of coffee, but usually with it or right after it.

I have been sticking with either scrambled eggs or hard boiled. I need to add some veggies, would an apple work (I know it's a fruit, but carrots and eggs?). I figure I am getting the fat with my coconut milk in my coffee.

I have been sticking with either scrambled eggs or hard boiled. I need to add some veggies, would an apple work (I know it's a fruit, but carrots and eggs?). I figure I am getting the fat with my coconut milk in my coffee.

Eat vegetables. not fruit (or maybe plus fruit, if you must) but eat vegetables.  

Greens, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, asparagus, summer squash and artichokes are just the first eight I thought of. all great with eggs. Part of this process is getting out of your comfort zone and changing your habits. You can do this! Just start.

• Moderators

We shred a rutabaga or a sweet potato and fry it up with some chopped onion, a little paprika, salt, chili powder. Voila, morning veggies! They're great topped with eggs, incorporated into a frittata or scramble, or just add some ground meat to the mix. YUM!!

Another favorite way to eat morning veggies, make Melissa Joulwan's fabulous Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed cookbook. I believe you can find the recipe on her blog too. Yes: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/

Nom Nom Paleo's prosciutto-wrapped mini frittatas use onion, spinach, mushrooms in an egg muffin. Swap out those for broccoli, red pepper, whatever you like. Spinach and eggs go together really nicely.

If you have a bunch of veggies cut up, and stored separately in containers in the fridge, they will be ready to go first thing in the morning. That way you can decide what you feel like having on the fly, and mix those veggies into your eggs/omelet. Presto...breakfast!

Archived