Bloating, constipation, possible weight gain Day 22

Rukstar

I would love some advice/thoughts/input.  I am on Day 22 of my first Whole 30 and while I know from reading It Starts with Food and all of the other information I have taken in so far that not everyone can expect to have their experience along the timeline, and that some take longer than others to show benefits, I still could use some input.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's some years ago and take 50mcg thyroxine hormone replacement daily.  I also have a mild hiatus hernia but don't take any medication.  After many years of suffering with indigestion, stomach cramps etc I gave up eating wheat about 18 months ago and had a dramatic improvement in my symptoms and also lost 9kg.  I have not eaten wheat since and generally avoid all grains except rice and also legumes.

I have stuck to the Whole 30 program in every way, using the template, not snacking.  In the early days I would probably overeat a bit, trying to make sure I eat enough, but then settled down to having consistent quantity and wide variety of veggies.  At the start I was constipated for 4 to 5 days and then had a miserable day of diarrhoea and feeling awful.  Then cruised for a while, sometimes feeling very tired. In the last week or so I find I am bloating quite a lot after meals and generally constipated even though I am eating a ton of veggies. I haven't weighed myself since starting but feel (and look) as if I have gained weight.  I am still tired and somewhat lethargic and my level of joint pain has not eased up.  I have stopped eating eggs and raw veggies and salad.

Sample meals I have been eating:

Shepherd's pie made with lamb mince (grass fed) and vegetables, topped with mashed sweet potato

Steak with red cabbage and asparagus and mayo

Thai style chicken with cauliflower rice (leeks and carrots sautéed in coconut oil, then add cauli and spices) + 1/2 avocado

Turkey and sweet potato hash with cooked baby spinach plus coconut 

Beef stir fry cooked with frozen mixed vegetables

I suspect someone will say try the Auto Immune protocol and I just feel so over it that trying yet another thing is just what I don't want to think about.

Thanks

I would love some advice/thoughts/input.  I am on Day 22 of my first Whole 30 and while I know from reading It Starts with Food and all of the other information I have taken in so far that not everyone can expect to have their experience along the timeline, and that some take longer than others to show benefits, I still could use some input.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's some years ago and take 50mcg thyroxine hormone replacement daily.  I also have a mild hiatus hernia but don't take any medication.  After many years of suffering with indigestion, stomach cramps etc I gave up eating wheat about 18 months ago and had a dramatic improvement in my symptoms and also lost 9kg.  I have not eaten wheat since and generally avoid all grains except rice and also legumes.

I have stuck to the Whole 30 program in every way, using the template, not snacking.  In the early days I would probably overeat a bit, trying to make sure I eat enough, but then settled down to having consistent quantity and wide variety of veggies.  At the start I was constipated for 4 to 5 days and then had a miserable day of diarrhoea and feeling awful.  Then cruised for a while, sometimes feeling very tired. In the last week or so I find I am bloating quite a lot after meals and generally constipated even though I am eating a ton of veggies. I haven't weighed myself since starting but feel (and look) as if I have gained weight.  I am still tired and somewhat lethargic and my level of joint pain has not eased up.  I have stopped eating eggs and raw veggies and salad.

Sample meals I have been eating:

Shepherd's pie made with lamb mince (grass fed) and vegetables, topped with mashed sweet potato

Steak with red cabbage and asparagus and mayo

Thai style chicken with cauliflower rice (leeks and carrots sautéed in coconut oil, then add cauli and spices) + 1/2 avocado

Turkey and sweet potato hash with cooked baby spinach plus coconut 

Beef stir fry cooked with frozen mixed vegetables

I suspect someone will say try the Auto Immune protocol and I just feel so over it that trying yet another thing is just what I don't want to think about.

Thanks

Yes the auto immune protocol looks overwhelming to me too! They suggest that you start with the regular whole30 for your first one so keep going. There are a few things that could be causing your bloating like cabbage or coconut. Also with an auto immune issue your body may need more time to heal so be patient. Remember this is a whole30 so you may not see any improvement until day 28. Do you take digestive enzymes? They can help alot. Are you drinking enough water, 1/2 an oz per pound of body weight? Good Luck!

Thanks Tina.  You could be right about the cabbage and coconut.  I do drink plenty of water but will make sure that this is the case every day.  I will definitely persevere till Day 30, but felt disheartened when I realised I had gained weight - I am not sure whether this is fluid retention or weight gain. 

Archived