Coconut Milk - Boxed brand okay?

johanna0528

I'm on Day 1 of my first go-round with Whole30, and I just noticed the shopping list specifies canned coconut milk. At the risk of being paranoid, is there a difference? I bought the "So Delicious" brand (unsweetened, sold in a carton) of coconut milk and wanted to make sure that's okay to use.

Help??   :huh:

look at the ingredients list. Does it have sugar or sweetener or sulfites or carrageenan? If so, no, you can't have it on a whole30. It doesn't matter if it is in a can or a carton, but in our experience the canned varieties tend to have fewer off-plan ingredients

I'm on Day 1 of my first go-round with Whole30, and I just noticed the shopping list specifies canned coconut milk. At the risk of being paranoid, is there a difference? I bought the "So Delicious" brand (unsweetened, sold in a carton) of coconut milk and wanted to make sure that's okay to use.

Help??   :huh:

According to their website, this contains carrageenan, which makes it a no for a Whole30.

I'd suggest returning it and exchanging it for a compliant brand. You'll typically find canned coconut milk in the Asian food aisle. When buying canned, do not buy any brand containing potassium metabisulfite (or any other non-compliant ingredients).

Wow, just read up on carrageenan and learned something new! I had no idea what it was, let alone any of its possible effects. Just one more argument/ gratitude for Whole30!! ;)

Thank you!

P.S. The coconut milk just got donated to a coworker. Sigh. Day 1 fail. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest returning it and exchanging it for a compliant brand. You'll typically find canned coconut milk in the Asian food aisle.

Thanks, Chris! I would've returned it, but I had opened it over the weekend to sample it before starting Whole30. I had never tried coconut milk before and wanted to see how I'd tolerate it before my first day. But it's all good. It went to someone who can use it! I'll go back today and buy a couple cans...this time paying attention to the ingredients!

• 3 weeks later...

I am on day 8 and thought the Trader Joe's Coconut milk in the shelf stable carton was ok.  There were so many things to remember (those sneaky little additives) when I went shopping before I started that I didn't remember carrageenan as being one of the non-compliant ingredients. I have been adding just a little bit to my morning cup of coffee (just one cup) each day.  Now, I'm reading that I have been using this non-compliant product.  Do I have to start over? 

I am on day 8 and thought the Trader Joe's Coconut milk in the shelf stable carton was ok.  There were so many things to remember (those sneaky little additives) when I went shopping before I started that I didn't remember carrageenan as being one of the non-compliant ingredients. I have been adding just a little bit to my morning cup of coffee (just one cup) each day.  Now, I'm reading that I have been using this non-compliant product.  Do I have to start over? 

Yes, unfortunately carrageenan is one of the gut disruptors that calls for a restart.  Call it a Whole38 if that works better for your mindset.

• 1 month later...

hi ive been adding  alpro unsweetened almond milk to my tea - am not sure of the stabilisers locust bean gum and gellen gum and emulsifiers sunflower, lecithin- are these compliant?

Technically sunflower lecithin, locust bean gum and gelled gum are allowed during the whole30. I wouldn't recommend having them regularly, but they are not prohibited. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Once you taste Aroy-D (I just buy the canned, the boxed version isn't sold around here) you won't go back :).  I buy mine at a local Asian grocery store - 1.39 per can.  Its like a treat - but good for you!  Between my husband and I using it on berries, on mango, on green beans, on kombucha squash... we probably go through 2-3 cans per week.  

Archived