First Whole30, starting 3/20/14

shera.horner

Hey all! A friend of mine pointed me in this direction, and I'm excited and nervous to give it a go. I'm 32, married, and have a 21 month old. I've been in the Army for 13 years and am an endurance athlete. I eat clean, with the occasional dessert.  I'm 5'7, 131 pounds, and around 15-18% body fat depending on the technique.

I've recently been diagnosed with Hyperinsulinemia and am still awaiting the appointment with the Endocrineologyst. Diabetes doesn't run in the family (on either side), so this is definitely perplexing and annoying.  I first became aware of my sugar issues back in 2009 while deployed, because I was just drinking so much dang water and still so thirsty. Several tests concluded the high sugar, so I'm assuming that's when my Insulin started going crazy.

Anyway I figured the "clean eating" I was doing wasn't helping, I'm definitely not sedintary, so my only other option for now is to try the Paleo thing. I've been overwhelmed with all the blogs and sites and recipes and such, and I work better following a specific laid out plan. I'm hoping I can get the insulin under control so I can avoid meds as well as the hypoglycemic episodes. I also hear my athletic performance will surely benefit from this way of eating, so why not? The only issue I really see is my husband can't do anything coconut or almonds of any form. He's on board because we know it's easier if we can both stick it out, but I'm not sure how it's going to work.

If you made it this far, congrats! Now I need a nap.....

• Moderators

You can do a good Whole30 with no nuts and no coconut products. My favorite cooking fat is ghee. You can use ghee in any recipe that calls for coconut oil. Nuts get lots of people in trouble during a Whole30, so excluding them from your menu is just fine. Almonds are not the best nuts to eat anyway. The best nuts are cashews, macadamias, and hazelnuts. 

Archived