Clawing my way back

So I did a whole 30 in January, followed by reintroductions - all goin fine. THEN for the past month or so I have been of roading and it's all gone wrong. I don't want to do another whole 30

But I want to be complient for the majority of the time. I have started and failed for the last week or so, my body aches my stomach is swollen and I have a bad cold for the second time this month!

Today was going to be the day. Breakfast I thought was fine. Eggs and vegetables with some

Compliant bacon. But then I had bread, toast to be exact.... That was then followed by 2 pastries and a compliant only ingredients wise, cookie/ cake thing.

Has anyone got any tips to claw myself back and avoid the sugar dragon? Thanks in advance

Happy eating everyone!

Probably not what you want to hear, but consider just re committing to another W30. I have been down a similar path and have now 100% committed to my second W30 (first one completed over a year ago, and stuck to it for many many months- then went off for many many months). I am on my 8th day. It is not easy for me considering how easy and motivated I was the first time around, but glad I am doing it. 

I don't know your living situation, but can you get the breads and pastries out of your house? That would be my first step. Also, advance prep is key for me, strict Whole30 or not. If I have protein and vegetables ready to go in the fridge, I am so much less likely to pick up takeout or eat popcorn for dinner.

Thanks for you're replies and through gritted teeth I think you're right. I can't seem to off road safely and sensibly this time - it's really frustrating that there is always a point in the day when I feel as if I want to reach for something!!!!! Arghhhhhh

I don't keep anything non compliant in the house unless others buy it me while on offer. I guess it's gonna be strict or not at all! And I will have to tell them that.

Thanks again - happy eating :-) x

I had a very hard time with off-roading in the beginning.  I had to do several W30s, and even a W100 last year before I finally broke the cycle of eating clean/eating every bit of junk in sight.  I described it as a pendulum.  I would swing all the way in one direction only to swing all the way back the other way.  With practice, it gets easier.  After a while, the lousy feelings just aren't worth it, or aren't worth it very often.

I, too, think you need another W30.  Sometimes sugar has to be treated like an addiction.  You can't quit smoking by having an occasional cigarette.  Alcoholics can't quit drinking except on weekends.  Eventually, the addiction takes back over and you are doing it all the time.  After almost 2 years of working towards this way of eating, I can say that I now look at non-compliant foods and ask myself if it's worth it, instead of just grabbing for it.  Do I still off-road?  Occasionally.  There was pizza on the menu last weekend.  But I made the deliberate choice to eat it, knowing what it would do to me.  My gut is still suffering for it.  And that suffering will help me not do it again any time soon.  And some items have now been labelled "not worth it at all ever".  It's a process.  The longer I practice clean eating, the better I get at it.

Also, advance prep is key for me, strict Whole30 or not. If I have protein and vegetables ready to go in the fridge, I am so much less likely to pick up takeout or eat popcorn for dinner.

Oh my goodness.  SO true!  Often when I off-road, it's not really because I want the offending item and that I'd prefer to have compliant food but just don't have any available/ready.

Today, again did not go well but your posts have inspired me. I can not have a little bit of sugar. It's not possible! So tomorrow it begins a meal at a time. I have no doubt challenges will come my way but I can be compliment all the time at home. I really can!

Happy eating everyone. I will keep you in the loop :-) and thanks xxx

I had trouble with reintroduction.  I went off road and off wagon.  As soon as I started reintroduction, the sugar dragon popped right back up just like it never left.  So I reigned things back in....alot.  Instead of reintroducing everything, I decided I still need the guard rails to keep me away from sugar (I can't moderate it and doubt at 45 years old I will ever be able to.)  So basically, I just added back a little milk/cream in my tea in the morning and added back some beans.  And I drink a few beers on the weekend.  Other than that, I'm still sticking to whole30 eating.  I'm not able to 'stop at one bite' or 'have once in awhile'.  Maybe after awhile, but I'm a month post whole 30 and I still seriously need my guard rails...or training wheels :)  to keep me on course.  This includes not having any of that stuff in the house.  If it's there, I eat it.  So just don't let it in the house and it has a harder time finding it's way into your body.

The good news, is that decisions are easier for me. There are fewer temptations. I feel great and I've maintained my weight loss.  So I am a little sad when the answer is always 'No'.  But that is only temporary.  I'm happier with all the other changes.

Is it bad that I feel a little better after reading these posts? :/ I did 3 Whole 30's last year, but since September, my eating has been off the rails. 
Today is DAY ONE. :)  I turn 40 in June, and the best gift I can give myself is to be healthy. 

:)

It has been in practically everything you consume, almost since birth.  It's not your fault.  Every cell in your body has been indoctrinated to believe daily, even hourly, sugar consumption is necessary for life.  It is no wonder it's such a hard habit to break.  On the other hand, if you stick to it long enough, your tastes change.  I never liked fruit.  I wasn't a big sweet eater, no bag of M&Ms in my purse at all times, but if I wanted sugar, it was in the form of triple chocolate cake or a big bowl of ice cream.  Now, on the rare occasions I want sweets, I am amazed at how delicious and satisfying a piece of fruit is.  It was never sweet enough to satisfy me before.

Hi all, I am pleased I started this topic and am now aware like others have said I am not crazy with the sugar addiction and it is gonna take me a while before I can consume it if at all and not go off the rails. I need to re train my body and my mind it seems to want more than empty calories. It's going to be a struggle again and I find the more issues I have of the personal nature the worse I become- perhaps similar to an alcoholic trying to block it out.

I continue to try - in the hope something will click and I will be able to eat clean again soon.

Thanks again and happy eating!

As a side note.....at work the other day, my coworker was opening several little sugar packets that come with coffee and pouring them into his mouth.  This raised my eye brows a little bit.  And I asked him 'what's up with that???'  His reply "Oh my blood sugar is getting low."

And I thought _I_ was a sugar addict!!!  :)

I have tried this week I really have. I avoided the staff room after reading that lol and have been ok for most of the day except when I have come home I have wanted to eat everything and anything! Have eaten chocolates and crisps and and...... U get the picture. I really need to reign it in. I can't seem to go cold turkey this time so adapting to start off with and planning is the key. Hopefully it will fall into place. It seems when I say no on my body at the moment it craves it more.

Had a full week this week and my oh said lets get a treat for afters.... I actually said no! Every no is an achievement! Whoop!!!

Happy eating everyone! X

Archived