Too much info...but a lot of Diarrhea

Ok, I need your help! My husband and I are on day 17 of our whole 30 and are loving it! the only bad thing is my husband has had consistent Diarrhea. Anyone else experienced this? Any tips/tools? I know it is common for this to happen for a while, but after a week of the runs shouldn't he have regulated? Thanks in advance!

What exactly are you eating? If you recently upped your intake of fresh veggies, that could cause it. Your husband could have an undiagnosed case of IBS which is triggered by certain veggies.

• Moderators

I would go to the drugstore and get some anti-diarrhea medicine. There are times, once I start, I don't "regulate" until I take something. I never let it go more than a few days before taking something. 

To offer further helpful advice, we would need a few days of a food log and information about supplements he might be taking. Other relevant factors include stress levels, activity levels, etc. 

It might also be meaningful to know where the diarrhea falls on the spectrum from simply loose to explosive. I don't worry so much about loose, but explosive is an issue. 

-just a wild guess here, but, have you been taking magnesium supplements by any chance? Sometimes I see people start natural calm or other magnesium supplements with their whole30 not realizing that taking too much results in diarrhea (how much is too much depends on your personal magnesium levels going in). If that's the case, discontinue magnesium until it goes away. You can add it back gradually if you wish once things settle down.

• 1 year later...

Hi to all,

I realise this is probably too late, but I wanted to let you know that I managed to control my diarrhea naturally with arrowroot powder (also named Kuzu).

I'm not a big fan of taking pills and I'm happy this worked out perfectly, plus I checked it's W30 compliant. You might want to give it a try if you ever experience diarrhea again!

Best

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Bone broth!  Throw some bones in a crockpot with some water, a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar, some celery, onions and carrots and cook it on low for about 24 hours.  Then sip away!

What ladyshanny said. Stay away from fruit juice as the sugar in it can make diarrhea worse. When you have the bone broth, make sure you also salt it. How much is up to you--do it until it's delicious.

Archived