Feeling bloated and over it could I do something different???

I am on the Whole 30 to break bad eating habits but also hoping to lose weight.  Its day 16 and I am starting to worry I am gaining weight if not bloat here is my for the past three days and what today will look like ps my eating this weekend suffered a bit from traveling to plan our wedding but here goes:

Saturday:

8 am: two whole eggs scrambled with onions tomatoes spinach

12: banana and water in the car

3: assorted nuts

7:30: chef salad minus cheese add extra egg and 3 oz of ribs

Water: less than 60 oz

Sunday:

8 am: banana

10: steak and eggs with cup of fruit

1: raw veggies (handful grape tomatoes, 5 carrots, handful cucumbers) 4 little sausages

7: spaghetti squash with bison and tomato sauce           

Water: less than 60 oz

Monday:

8 am: eggs with spinach

12: salad with avocado and chicken

7: chicken chili minus beans add celery carrots and onion

80 oz of water

Today:

8 am: chicken sausage and brazil nuts (no veggies wondered if I should cut back)

12: salad with avocado and chicken, chicken sausage, one cutie

7: shredded chicken in homemade enchilada sauce and cooked green beans

90 oz of water

Well, there isn't a single day where you seem to be following the meal template.  Aside from the avocado and brazil nuts I see no mention of fats. Also, you're eating fruit/nuts between meals when ideally you'd be following the template if you need to eat between meals (just eat a smaller portion if necessary). When I'm not getting enough fat my digestive system is more sluggish and I get bloated. The same might be true of you. You're only halfway through your whole 30 and bloating is fairly common so I wouldn't take it as sign that you're gaining weight because usually that isn't the case. I would recommend finding some compliant digestive enzymes and making sure you drink enough water daily as well.

• Moderators

My guess is that you are not eating enough food. When you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows down and you tend to gain weight on only a little food. I know it seems backwards, but you have to eat an adequate amount of food for your size and activity level to support your metabolism if you really want to lose weight. This is why we emphasize following the meal template so strongly. 

Many people suffer digestion problems eating nuts and they are high in calories relative to other foods. If you are suffering with bloating and worried about weight gain, cut the nuts completely. 

Raw veggies can be harder to digest and cause some difficulty. You might need to make sure you cook everything for a while and see if your stomach issues settle down.

Honestly - you're not eating enough.

Each meal should include: 1 to 2 palms of protein (eggs should be the amount of eggs you can hold in 1 hand), 1 to 2 thumbs of fat (cooking fat doesn't really count as most of it get's left behind in the pan) and 1.5 cups of veggies (minimum).  *If* you are still hungry after that maybe include a fruit.  Do not let fruit push veggies off of your plate.

A note from my personal experience - lay off the nuts!  They are not an ideal fat source.  They bloat and cause discomfort for many (I'm one of them)  And for me personally - they cause my sleep to be less than phenomenal.  Sleep is very important if you are interested in losing weight. 

Well, there isn't a single day where you seem to be following the meal template.  Aside from the avocado and brazil nuts I see no mention of fats. Also, you're eating fruit/nuts between meals when ideally you'd be following the template if you need to eat between meals (just eat a smaller portion if necessary). When I'm not getting enough fat my digestive system is more sluggish and I get bloated. The same might be true of you. You're only halfway through your whole 30 and bloating is fairly common so I wouldn't take it as sign that you're gaining weight because usually that isn't the case. I would recommend finding some compliant digestive enzymes and making sure you drink enough water daily as well.

Hi yea the weekend had no structure I was traveling and handling stuff for my wedding so it was hard to have real meals.  I see what your saying about the meal temp. I will work hard on following that more closely.  I am actually very satisfied with my meals but I am not eating much (am taking a new med that causes loss of appetite). What fats would you suggest? Digestive enzymes is that kind of like a probotic? Thanks for the response!

My guess is that you are not eating enough food. When you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows down and you tend to gain weight on only a little food. I know it seems backwards, but you have to eat an adequate amount of food for your size and activity level to support your metabolism if you really want to lose weight. This is why we emphasize following the meal template so strongly. 

Many people suffer digestion problems eating nuts and they are high in calories relative to other foods. If you are suffering with bloating and worried about weight gain, cut the nuts completely. 

Raw veggies can be harder to digest and cause some difficulty. You might need to make sure you cook everything for a while and see if your stomach issues settle down.

I will cut out the nuts and I assume nut butters are a similar issues so those two what fats could I replace them with?  As far as how much I am eating I am trying to eat more (i am taking a new med that causes loss of appetite) what foods would you suggest to help bridge the calorie gap?  I will try to incorporate less raw and more cooked veggies. thanks  

Honestly - you're not eating enough.

Each meal should include: 1 to 2 palms of protein (eggs should be the amount of eggs you can hold in 1 hand), 1 to 2 thumbs of fat (cooking fat doesn't really count as most of it get's left behind in the pan) and 1.5 cups of veggies (minimum).  *If* you are still hungry after that maybe include a fruit.  Do not let fruit push veggies off of your plate.

A note from my personal experience - lay off the nuts!  They are not an ideal fat source.  They bloat and cause discomfort for many (I'm one of them)  And for me personally - they cause my sleep to be less than phenomenal.  Sleep is very important if you are interested in losing weight. 

Hi I definitely did not know nuts could cause those issues so I will back off maybe have them once or twice a week same with nut butter I am assuming would you mind sharing how you get in your fat?

Ideas for added fat: salad dressings made with extra virgin olive oil, ghee drizzled over roasted vegetables, coconut flakes, olives, avocado, homemade mayo (tons of sauces you can make with mayo! remoulade is a current favorite).

Ditto on cutting back on the nuts - eating a handful of them messes with me too. Now I mostly have them as a condiment, with some slivered almonds on a salad for crunch or something like that.

My fats come from a variety of areas - actually I'm pretty liberal.

I'm not a big avaocado fan (it's a texture thing) and I've explained the nut situation as above so I have found alternatives in the following:

homemade mayo (possiblities are endless for dips and dressings once you have mayo on hand)

handful of olives (watch the canned ones as some of them contain nasties)

proscuito (italian cured ham - should have only pork, salt and pepper) - crisp it up in the oven and it becomes a bacon replacement

coconut butter on my sweet potato

homemade pesto or chimichurri sauce

coconut milk in my coffee

olive oil, avocado oil (for dressings)

duck fat, ghee, coconut oil. (for cooking)

Good luck and Enjoy!!!

Here is what I did today let me know what you think

8:30 am: two scrambled eggs with chicken suasage and spinach (sauteed and drizzeled in olive oil)

12: chicken and veggie chili with 1/2 avacado and 1/2 a sweet potato

6: pulled chicken with mayo, 1/2 a sweet potato with coconut flakes, and cooked green beans

Since it's been a few days - how are you feeling?  Are you feeling satiated throughout the day?  Has your bloating gon down at all? 

Go by what you feel as well.  If you are feeling exhausted too frequently you my need to add more starchy veg, if you aren't feeling full then up either your protein or fat.  You will need to play around with things to see what helps for you.

Archived