Starting April 1 - and it is no joke!

EmmaSthlm

I will be starting my third W30 April 1. It has been more than a year since the last one, and I must admit I have fallen out of all the good habits. 

Unfortunately, I have a good reason. My teenager came back from a year as exchange student with an eating disorder and an exercise addiction - and all kind of diets, whether healthy or not, had to be banned. The clinic was very clear about that there could be no food restrictions in our home - and I fully agree. I immediately stopped eating according to W30 and went back to eating everything.  

Today, teenager is more or less recovered. Or at least in remission. And in April we will be away from each other two weeks, which makes it easier for me to sneak in another W30 and get back on track. Because I do miss eating healthy and working out a lot, as I used to do. 

So April 1st it is. Anyone wants to join? 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Emma,

glad to hear your teenager is getting better. All the best to both of you.

And yes!!! I would love to join you. For me it will be the first time I'm trying Whole30. I read the book a few months ago and tried a 21-day sugar detox just recently, but failed miserably. I think my addiction to sugar is worse than I thought. And once I fall off the wagon a bit, all goes downhill as I also eat gluten again and dairy and - boom! - I'm miserable. 

I think it would be great doing this together and giving each other support. 

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Hi ladies! I'd love to join you on April 1st. I was considering starting tomorrow but I really don't think I'm prepared enough too. I've been reading up on Paleo / Primal eating lifestyles and stumbled across Whole30 that way.  Mikaela I can totally relate to your sugar addiction. I've tried to g without and never make it past day 1! And I also love dairy way too much. 

Emma, wish the best for both you and your teen too! 

Would either or you or anyone in the forum want to share breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas?  I noticed we could have raw coconut flakes, almonds, and baked sweet potato.  I could totally go for something like this for a snack when my sweet tooth attacks!! :)  

Yay! This sounds great.

I would love to share breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas. I still have to read up on it a bit more and will then sit down and make a plan. Would be great to share this and get feedback and ideas.

We can kick sugar in the b.u.t.t.  :)

Cheers!

Hi everyone! So glad to have found this thread and others who plan to start on the 1st! I'm really excited to begin this journey :)

I'm completely new to the whole concept of the whole30 and paleo style eating plans, but am completely intrigued and curious about what changes I really will feel. I've always been incredibly active and athletic, so worrying about what foods I ate never mattered to me. I thought because I could stay skinny and eat anything, why did I need to change? Well, I'm turning 25 in May and I have had a roller coaster of a lifestyle in the years since college. I work in the bar/restaurant industry and have thus developed some very poor eating habits as the hours I work and lifestyle surrounding such a job make if very difficult to remain healthy and not splurge.

In addition to a very sporadic lifestyle, my family also has some of the worst eating habits I've ever seen. It's nearly impossible to keep healthy in a household where bread and fried foods are a staple and even harder when you are surrounded by people thinking "you have nothing to worry about, you're the skinny one." People, and I'm mainly referring to my family and friends, don't seem to understand that eating healthy doesn't mean you need to, or even want to lose any weight--I'm not doing it for that reason. Eating and living a healthy lifestyle is about preservation for me...and hoping that when I'm in my 60s I don't feel like I'm really in my 80s. I want to be active forever and the fear of not being able to be is really what has motivated me to finally get my stuff together.

So, do any veteran Whole30-ers have any advice for me going forward? Also, is anyone aware of how this diet works for patients with Multiple Sclerosis? My mother was diagnosed in 2007 and has really been having a tough time these past few weeks--she's actually another big part of why I wanted to take this plan on. I'm hoping that eating better will help lessen her exacerbations and flare ups. Any and all information would be a huge help!! 

Anyways, I can't wait to start this and regain control of my life! I look forward to hearing and sharing stories and recipes with you all and wish you all the best of luck!!! :D

PS- Emma, your story is very inspiring. The fact that you are going back to this meal plan/diet after all you've gone through shows me that it really is different. Thanks for sharing! :)

Hello,

I'm new to the Whole30 program and this forum.  Just finished up reading the book and am ready to do my 30 days, so count me in for April 1st!

Little about myself, I'm 31 yrs old, a mother of 2 amazing, loving and super active kids.  Have been married for nearly 10 yrs (will actually be celebrating our 10th year on the 30th of this month - YAY!) and work full-time.  Our son was diagnosed with several food allergies at the age of 2, and my husband suffers from 3 autoimmune diseases, so the appeal to go on the 30 days is very strong!  I believe my entire family can highly benefit from this program, but I will be doing this round on my own.

My personal goals during these 30 days is mainly to KILL the sugar demon possessing my mind, taste buds, and hormones, to drastically improve my eating habits, and of course lose some weight!  

Let's do this!

Since sweet potato is allowed on the program I'm thinking of adding it to breakfast and possibly as a dessert... 

Breakfast idea (on the go): 

Hard boiled eggs, 1 whole and 4 whites

1/2 small baked sweet potato, plain

Sweet tooth:

1/2 small baked sweet potato

Almonds, slivered

Coconut milk, splash

Cinnamon, dash

Does this sound W30 approved? 

I figured I'd share some ideas of what I'll be prepping for our April 1st start date. And get any feedback or tips.

Can't be too prepared I think...   ;)

Since sweet potato is allowed on the program I'm thinking of adding it to breakfast and possibly as a dessert... 

Breakfast idea (on the go): 

Hard boiled eggs, 1 whole and 4 whites

1/2 small baked sweet potato, plain

Sweet tooth:

1/2 small baked sweet potato

Almonds, slivered

Coconut milk, splash

Cinnamon, dash

Does this sound W30 approved? 

I figured I'd share some ideas of what I'll be prepping for our April 1st start date. And get any feedback or tips.

Can't be too prepared I think...   ;)

It's great to prepare!

While what you listed is compliant, let me help you make it better. Look to create meals that fit the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of fat.  Your breakfast is ok on protein. Have the whole sweet potato and add a compliant fat.

On the sweet tooth, the Whole30 is about changing your relationship with food. Don't seek ways to satisfy a sweet tooth. Focus instead on creating meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Thank you GFChris. Like LatinaCurves I too was thinking of sweet treats that would be Whole30 friendly, but you can't starve the sugar monster that way. The biggest hurdle has been to accept that fat is not the culprit of all health issues and its ok to eat it. Im starting my Whole30 earlier than 4/1 because of GI issues. Tomorrow is Day 1!

Hi- can I join you guys?  I'm new as of today.  I plan to start the Whole30 on April 1st too, just getting all my ducks in a row now (trying to source good meat and figure out a system for prepping).  I have found that my biggest challenge so far is figuring out how to incorporate more vegetables in my diet.  I used to eat very healthy, but now have a three year old and an 8 month old who keep me running, and while I am not super busy, I have a hard time doing a vegetable heavy dinner because one of my arms is always occupied with a kid.  Today my husband and I washed a bunch of salad and kale, roasted a ton of veggies, and cut up some raw veggies.  I also bought some frozen veggies for fast cooking.  Meat isn't so hard because I already use the slow cooker a lot, but fast vegetables are a challenge and I'm always open for ideas.  Also, how often do people usually shop for vegetables?  I feel like if I buy a lot, they go off before the end of the week, but if I buy frequently, I'm spending a bunch of money, and not getting to all the vegetables, if that makes sense.  Anyways, very excited- good luck to everybody!

Hey y'all! I'd love to join as well, if that's all right. I'm starting March 31st, but close enough!

Kiervol, I struggle with veggie-buying, as well- I am on an intern stipend for food and fresh vegetables are pretty expensive this time of year! I've started buying half fresh and half frozen- fresh veggies for salads and anything that wouldn't taste right without it, and frozen veggies for things like spinach, cauliflower, etc- things that I might mix in with something else or use for soup. I also keep an eye out for the steam fresh bags to be on sale, because it's a great "emergency" food item- I keep one in the freezer at work just in case.

Count me in for April 1! I've never done anything like this and I'm pretty nervous but also excited. I read the book last week and will spend the next week planning. I'm a bit of a picky eater (generally don't eat pork or any fish or seafood) and I'm not much of a cook but I think I can do it! I have horribly low energy -- I'm 30 but feel 50 -- and feel bloated after every meal. Definitely ready for a big change!

I plan on officially starting on March 31st, but I figure this is close enough to April 1st to join you all. For the first time in my life I am starting on a new eating path to become healthier, not skinnier. If I lose along the way, ya for me. I am so tired of not having energy to keep up with my 7 year old, feeling bloated after meals, and the mid day crash. Let's do this!

Hi everyone! I am also on board for April 1st. This will be my second Whole30- I completed one last June and felt great (and very proud of myself!) afterwards. Since then I have been eating mostly paleo (some months are better then others) and in that time I've learned so much about food, how it makes me feel, and my relationship to it. That said, I'm far from a paleo perfectionist and am looking to regain more of the healthful habits and stamina I had when doing my last Whole30.

A little about myself- I am a stay at home mom to my love bug almost 2 and a half year old. My daughter, through me, eats mostly Paleo but I am not as stringent about it with her. My husband is not Paleo either, but eats what I cook and is very supportive when I embark on these dietary resets! We live in Austin and are lucky enough to get a weekly CSA with awesome veggies and have year round farmers markets. I am very aware though of what we spend and am always looking for ways to get the highest quality food on a budget.

So happy to have found others starting 4/1- I remember from last time that this forum was super helpful in keeping myself motivated and on track!

So, do any veteran Whole30-ers have any advice for me going forward? Also, is anyone aware of how this diet works for patients with Multiple Sclerosis? My mother was diagnosed in 2007 and has really been having a tough time these past few weeks--she's actually another big part of why I wanted to take this plan on. I'm hoping that eating better will help lessen her exacerbations and flare ups. Any and all information would be a huge help!! 

Hi Courtney! Check out this post on less than supportive friends and family: http://whole30.com/2013/07/with-friends-like-these/

Also, concerning MS, I can't remember if It Starts With Foods addresses it, but it certainly might. Another excellent book is Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. Her book breaks down different health problems and how to specifically treat them with food and diet. I highly recommend this book to everyone doing the Whole30!

Hi everyone! So glad to have found this thread and others who plan to start on the 1st! I'm really excited to begin this journey :)

I'm completely new to the whole concept of the whole30 and paleo style eating plans, but am completely intrigued and curious about what changes I really will feel. I've always been incredibly active and athletic, so worrying about what foods I ate never mattered to me. I thought because I could stay skinny and eat anything, why did I need to change? Well, I'm turning 25 in May and I have had a roller coaster of a lifestyle in the years since college. I work in the bar/restaurant industry and have thus developed some very poor eating habits as the hours I work and lifestyle surrounding such a job make if very difficult to remain healthy and not splurge.

In addition to a very sporadic lifestyle, my family also has some of the worst eating habits I've ever seen. It's nearly impossible to keep healthy in a household where bread and fried foods are a staple and even harder when you are surrounded by people thinking "you have nothing to worry about, you're the skinny one." People, and I'm mainly referring to my family and friends, don't seem to understand that eating healthy doesn't mean you need to, or even want to lose any weight--I'm not doing it for that reason. Eating and living a healthy lifestyle is about preservation for me...and hoping that when I'm in my 60s I don't feel like I'm really in my 80s. I want to be active forever and the fear of not being able to be is really what has motivated me to finally get my stuff together.

Anyways, I can't wait to start this and regain control of my life! I look forward to hearing and sharing stories and recipes with you all and wish you all the best of luck!!! :D

PS- Emma, your story is very inspiring. The fact that you are going back to this meal plan/diet after all you've gone through shows me that it really is different. Thanks for sharing! :)

Hi Courtney May.

Sorry that your mom has had such a difficult time with her MS.Has she tried removing gluten from her diet? Many folks with MS, myself included, are bothered by gluten. I've been gluten-free since late 2006 and haven't had an exacerbation since Jan 2007. I'm also on one of the MS drugs, exercise regularly, take supplements prescribed by my doctor, and have good stress management practices. 

In any case, Whole30 would be a worthwhile experiment for her, to see if she can get some relief.

Okay I'm back from doing some more research. Hehe  I'm trying to build me (and my family) a menu or go to meals that I know we all will eat.  Most of the ingredients in the recipe's I found below I've used except for spaghetti squash, homemade hollandaise sauce, clarified butter and coconut oil.  Therefore, I'm not going to worry about the few items I'm not familiar with. I don't want to over complicate the Whole30 days... just go with it! Broaden my horizons, right? I'm also looking into crock pot recipe's too. 

Turkey meatballs with marinara sauce over spaghetti squash

Nom Nom suggests using Cucina Antica if not making your own. It's Paleo compliant. Not sure about Whole30 though? 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2920696256/day-27-of-whole30-eats

Bacon burger with mixed veggies and sweet potato fries

Got this bacon burger recipe from Shelly No Belly blog post. 

http://shellynobelly.blogspot.com/2013/01/whole30-bacon-burgers.html

Got the sweet potato fries recipe from Clothes Make the Girl.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/11/07/crispy-oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries/

Scrambled, fried or hard boiled eggs with 1/2 avocado and 1/2 cup of berries, black coffee with coconut milk

Self explanatory here.

Chicken stir fry and Cashew beef stir fry

Paleo Grubs link below, has several stir fry recipes that look really tasty! Going to give the chicken and cashew beef a whirl.

http://paleogrubs.com/stir-fry-recipes

Pork Benedict with homemade Hollandaise sauce over a boneless pork chop and asparagus.

Eggs benedict with smoked salmon, capers and spinach is my absolute fav! But this right here will be a very good alternative thanks to Stupid Easy Paleo. I'm swapping out the english muffin with a pork chop. And instead of spinach I'll have asparagus but really spinach or any other vegetable will do.

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/06/easy-paleo-ghee-hollandaise-sauce/

Latina Curves, 

I'm on day 10 of my second Whole 30. I'm 38, I have MS and am a stay at home mom to four kids between the ages of 4 to 10. I'm finding this time around what saved me is the cookup on the clothes makes the girl website. Seriously, this has saved me a ton of time. If you're interested look up week 1 whole 30 on her site. She gives a shopping list and step by step instructions on how to make a weeks worth of Whole 30 approved meals. It takes about 3 hours (4 if you include cleanup) to cook everything and you'll have the crock pot, stove and oven all going at the same time. So far all the meals taste great and having them all in my fridge ready to eat keep me from getting take out or eating non compliant foods. Good luck!!

Im starting on the first too! time to go shopping! Ill cook all weekend and have my last non compliant day full of yummy dairy and unapproved sugars on Monday...Dont judge me  :P My family says they will do it with me but i wont hold my breath. We are not big vegetable eaters so I'm a little nervous about how to incorporate those. Also ill be traveling to Seattle the last week of april and extremely worried about traveling and eating out. Any ideas?! 

Hi! I'm also starting on April 1st. This is my first time, some of my pals are doing it for the 2nd time and also starting April 1st. 

I live in NYC, and as you can imagine I have very little time for anything. Any sort of prep ideas that can be easily fixed for breakfast or lunch would be so, so helpful. 

Good luck to everyone, and I'm looking forward to taking this journey with y'all! 

Count me in! I completed a 21-day sugar detox in January and vowed this year to do it at the start of each season to ensure that I stick to positive habits. But I learned abut Whole 30 and thought I'd try that to kick off a healthy spring. I am 44, by the way, and over the last two years have lost more than 60 pounds. I vowed to make this year my healthiest and fittest, taking an opportunity to head off chronic illnesses that run in my family. My hubby could benefit from this, too. He is diabetic. I'd love to adopt healthy habits that stick for both of us.

I too am going to start my First Whole30 experience on April 1st!  I'm both excited and nervous because as one person stated above, sugar is SO addictive.  Dr. Peppers are my vice and preping looks to be key.  I always seem to start out strong but somehow fizzle.  NOT THIS TIME!!!  I am so happy to have the forums as I don't have a true support group. Thank you all for being willing to share all this great information.   I wish everyone the best on this April Whole30 adventure!!!!

Hi I'm susan and this is my first time doing this.  I have had IBS for over 20 years and have tried everything to fix it.  I really hope this resets my system, I'm desperate.  I could use all the hints and tips from seasoned members and any good recipes.  My children are already skeptical but i'm not giving them a choice, we are all in this together for 30 days!  good luck to all 

Archived