Starting April 1 - and it is no joke!

EmmaSthlm

Day 19 already. Hard to believe! I'm loving the food and --surprisingly--I haven't missed my nightly bourbon. Last week had 4 social events and I managed to stay compliant. I learned sweet potatoes make me very sleepy (I've been low carb for 12 years so the extra starches and fruits are a transition for my body). What I find hardest: not weighing! I almost caved this afternoon when I went to the basement for some bleach and noticed my hidden scale. But I resisted! Good luck everyone with Easter. We are having nomnom paleo's rogah josh and boiling down our maple sap into syrup.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19 already. Hard to believe! I'm loving the food and --surprisingly--I haven't missed my nightly bourbon. Last week had 4 social events and I managed to stay compliant. I learned sweet potatoes make me very sleepy (I've been low carb for 12 years so the extra starches and fruits are a transition for my body). What I find hardest: not weighing! I almost caved this afternoon when I went to the basement for some bleach and noticed my hidden scale. But I resisted! Good luck everyone with Easter. We are having nomnom paleo's rogah josh and boiling down our maple sap into syrup.

Just a quick clarification: maple syrup is not allowed on a Whole30. It's in the rules as part of the no sugar/sweeteners paragraph. Wasn't clear to me whether you were only making syrup tomorrow or planning to eat it.  :)

I've been hobbling a bit during this diet because of a severely bruised foot.  I wear a brace and with it I'm at about 95% function.  A few days ago I got tired of cooking a whole meal that was W30 compliant to feed my family of 4.  So, I am fixing two meals, one for them, and one for me.  However, the one for me has lasted 3 days, so really I only have to cook a new entree for me once every 2-3 days.  I think that will be ok for the rest of the month.  I am loving stalkerville's recipe search engine for finding new recipes, too.  I really miss an occasional dessert and Chinese food.

Today I slept in a bit and had a late breakfast.  Resultingly my blood sugar level has been on the low side most of the day.  I should have eaten a piece of fruit with breakfast, I guess.  I'm hypoglycemic.....

Keep up the good work everyone--you are all an encouragement to me!

Happy Easter!

Tiva, I caved and weighed myself.  I haven't lost a lot, but then again this isn't a 30 day weight loss program.  Regardless of the number on the scale I feel damn good. 

Jeninor, I've been doing the opposite, making them eat what I am.  It a big deal with my husband but my finicky kids are not happy.  Tough stuff, I'm not going to make them their own meals for the rest of their lives.   

I hope your foot heals well!

I slept until 5a this morning and that was awesome!  I couldn't go back to sleep afterwards but oh well.  We are hosting for Easter and I'm looking forward to gorging on Brussel Sprouts with bacon (complient bacon), asparagus, and roast beef.  Hubby made bread yesterday and it didn't even phase me.  I love the smell in the home, but I had no desire to have a slice.  I don't think I'm going to go back to beans, grains or dairy after this.

How is everyone else doing?  Home stretch, whoo hoo!

Hey everyone! Sorry for dropping off the grid--lots going on. Still compliant!! 

Went to a birthday party yesterday and brought kombucha and a Lara Bar (lemon) and ate before I went so I wouldn't go into it hungry. I survived! My husband tried all the sweets and said they were good. I didn't get angry either, which is a first. Last Whole30 I got upset every time I was around sweets and I couldn't join in. It also helped that my husband also brought home ice cream this week and ate it front of my {I asked him to}.

This week I am making a pulled pork chili and slow cooked ribs. I feel great about this!!

And then I move onto my next 30 days :)

Good morning!

xine23 - Great job on planning a head.  How was the pulled pork and ribs?

Me - Easter was a HUGE success!  The family loved our food and I had 0 desire to eat the pie, roll cake, ice cream, or bread.  I did was hubbys risotto but oh well.  My plate included 2-3 slices of pork roast, sweet potato with ghee, Everyday Paleo's Brussels sprouts with bacon, and roasted asparagus.  I also snacked on a few veggies, carrots and sugar snap peas.

When everyone left and the dishes were done, the beer cravings came back.  I just wanted to see on the couch, put my feet up and have a cold one.  I guess I associate relaxing with beer :(

Instead I popped in my Les Mills Pump and had a great 45 minute weight session.

8 days to go (I'm probably going to extend it to May 3rd to end on a week end)

We run a small sugarbush, so I'm only boiling the sap and will wait to have until after May 3rd. We make enough for all year and for gifts, so waiting a couple weeks to have some isn't hard. Trusting the candy thermometer instead of tasting to see when it's done is tricky, however. But worth it.

Hard to believe we are on the home stretch. I ate a handful of dates in the car today since I found myself hungrier than usual, but that's not so bad.

I tried a few new recipes today, and the carrot soup with cardamom from mom mom paleo was a big hit. The Chinese egg custard from her site had a great taste but an unusual texture. The mocha rubbed beef is still in the slow cooker. But it smells good.

tIva, a sugarbush?  That sounds really interesting! I'll have to look up what they look like.

My Tiger Blood has come.  It's not a rush of energy like I was expecting (I thought I was going to be running around like a meth-head) but a steady flow of energy throughout the day.  I'm doing tasks that I usually put off like laundry, dishes, and keep up the house better.

Yes, I do believe the "Tiger Blood" has come for me too! Finally! Steady energy, the Rocky theme, "Eye of the Tiger" has been running through my head. :D I have accomplished quite a bit too. Having no internet helped and I have found Facebook a little mundane since getting the "net" back on!

cottagequeen, congrats on hitting the Tiger Blood.

TB isn't fully here for me.  Then again, sleep has been distrubred a lot thanks to my kiddos.  I've decided to up my starchy carbs to see if that will help.  From what I've read on some Paleo Blogs, some of my ailments could be from to little carbs.  Also, I need more greens.  I think I've been doing 1-2 cups, not 2-3. 

Today was a busy day for me, with too few veggies and smaller meals, which required a bit of snacking.  But the snacks were a boiled egg and some almonds, so that's not bad.  Tomorrow is going to be another crazy one, but nothing could be better than being on this diet and feeling the clarity, focus and general energy that I have had the last few days.  It's been really nice after suffering from varying degrees of sluggishness for most of my life.  45 might just be my new 30! :)

UUgg, woke up this am with a mild nagging all over headache. Not surprising since "Aunt Mennie" came to visit. She usually brings one with her when she comes. As bad as that is, I still feel pretty awesome! Normally, it would be, "Do I really have to face the world today?"

I had a nice discussion with a friend of mine at work. She does a low carb plan with cheat days. I explained a little bit about what I read in ISWF on the cheat day, she seemed interested. She asked if I had lost any weight. I then shared about the no scales and breaking the addicition along with the gut healing of the program. She was definitely showing interest, but not to the degree of I need to switch to that. Seemed maybe she was understanding the why of no cheats. She did tell me that she does cheat a bit other days to. Didn't think to mention the brain needs the decision taken away to make it easier. I did talk about how easy it has been for me to handle any temptation that has been before me. How I had always felt frustrated in the past because I knew these things were so bad for me but I just couldn't break it. That has amazed me so much about this whole program!

I know there are several who are watching me. There are three people I work closely with who have had the major stomach surgery done and have pretty much thru the years gained back everything they lost. The friend I was talking to had the lap band done a few years ago, with little to show for it. I am thankful everyday I stumbled upon whole 30!

cottagequeen, what a great story about your friend.  I agree with you about having the decision taken away from you.  It is so much easier.  But last night I CHOSE to prep some breakfast items so I didn't have to do it this morning.  And it was a good choice and the morning went so much better than it could have.  (The kids had activities this morning so it was almost like getting up for a school day.)

I have something fun to share: my brother-in-law is turning 40 and is throwing himself a big birthday party with dinner included.  (He likes to cook.)  Well, I showed my sis the chowstalker website, and she showed him, and guess what?!  He's cooking something for dinner that I can eat on my W30!  I'm so excited!  If there is one thing that he and I have in common is we both love to cook and we both love to experiment and try new things.  While not all of my family "gets it" about my normal dietary restrictions, he does, and I am so thankful for him and his willingness to try new things.  Now if I could just get HIM to do a W30 and lose some weight! ;)

Anyway, have any of you decided to go beyond 30 days?  I'm seeing some new habits beginning to develop....think this may become more of a lifestyle, except for I really miss my occasional sugary treats.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Jenin, I'm thinking of continuing after a little break for cocnut flour pancakes with our own maple syrup. And a shot of makers mark that evening. But really, I don't miss the cream and cheese the way I thought I would. Or the paleo treats.

2 days to go, whoo hoo!

I may or maynot go beyond 30 days.  Regardelss, I'm not going back to grains, beans or dairy on a regular basis.  I'm feeling good, I noticed that I have lost some inches around my waist (didn't measure) and my tummy is a bit slimer.  No raging energy, but I think I need to play with starchy carbs more.  So that may be a different 30 day challenge, 1 starchy carb in the evening and evaluate.

I, too, have been thinking of continuiung, The only thing I really think I'd like to try again is my raw milk, I do kinda miss it, but if it causes me ill heath I can tell it bye, I actually have 4 gallons of it in the fridge right now. I bought into a herd share and so I get a gallon a week. Removed the cream and made butter and froze it. Planning a Cleopatra bath tonight with the milk. Heard she bathed regularly in milk and she had beautiful skin. Of course, my skin is pretty awesome already! Had a lady at work tell me I had such young skin... then, "you should dye your hair, to match your skin". I guess my gray hair is not young looking.  :D   Sunday was a pretty awesome day for me. I didn't need my reading glasses for church, clearer vision! Woohoo! Took a chance and went to Ruby Tuesdays with friends for lunch. I was amazed at my self. Asking questions about the food was easy. I took my own dressing for salad. Had a naked petite sirloin with salad from salad bar and naked grilled zucchini. Unsweetened ice tea with lemon and lime wedge to drink. They brought these cute little cheesy chive biscuits out to the table. My friend said they tasted pretty good, but I had no desire to eat one, which was quite satisfying in itself! She has been thinking of doing the Whole 30, (different friend from the one at work). I'm sure she was impressed at my ability to sit there and not even care the biscuits were on the table. I love this!

Well, I did it! Finished my Whole30! I am seriously considering adding another 15 - 30 more days and making it a Whole 45 or 60. I feel so much better. Eyesight improved, B/P improved, mental well being improved, sleep improved, energy improved, clothes fitting better, BUT, I want MORE! Yet, I also want to see how I'll do "riding my bike without training wheels". I believe I'll continue improving either way. Sooooo, the real question is.... "Am I afraid to take off the training wheels?"

Yep we did it! Hard to believe the month is already over. I celebrated tonight with one drink at a party and a chocolate bar. Once for each was enough for a while, I think. I'm mot sure if I'll do the reintroduction of a few favorite items or just add another 3 weeks. My main preferences would be to ease up at social events--Whole30 is simple when I do the cooking, but tricky when going out.

Yep we did it! Hard to believe the month is already over. I celebrated tonight with one drink at a party and a chocolate bar. Once for each was enough for a while, I think. I'm mot sure if I'll do the reintroduction of a few favorite items or just add another 3 weeks. My main preferences would be to ease up at social events--Whole30 is simple when I do the cooking, but tricky when going out.

Yay to being through the 30 days! I'm on for at least another week because i ate dried cranberries sweetened with sugar without knowing it. I'm assuming that is an automatic restart? I gotta admit, I'm suffering from serious food fatigue. Nothing sounds good and it all sounds a little gross, i think I'm a bit fed up with all the meat- ive never eaten so much meat in my life and despite the ground ive gained, the thought of eggs and meat are beginning to make me feel a bit sick, bloated, etc. Is anybody else experiencing this? I haven't lost my appetite, although that is probably because I'm nursing two children and run after them all day long (one is very high needs). I guess om feeling a little blue because i did this mostly to gain energy, and therefore patience, bit I'm still so run down (one baby does not allow me to sleep at night and my t3 just tested lower than everybody expected, so i have some external forces undermining me). Anyways, I'm just a little blue, want to eat some comfort food, and simultaneously am not interested in putting any junk in my body. I guess I'm tempted by a paleo treat or juice or something, something easy and NOT MEAT.

Yay to being through the 30 days! I'm on for at least another week because i ate dried cranberries sweetened with sugar without knowing it. I'm assuming that is an automatic restart? I gotta admit, I'm suffering from serious food fatigue. Nothing sounds good and it all sounds a little gross, i think I'm a bit fed up with all the meat- ive never eaten so much meat in my life and despite the ground ive gained, the thought of eggs and meat are beginning to make me feel a bit sick, bloated, etc. Is anybody else experiencing this? I haven't lost my appetite, although that is probably because I'm nursing two children and run after them all day long (one is very high needs). I guess om feeling a little blue because i did this mostly to gain energy, and therefore patience, bit I'm still so run down (one baby does not allow me to sleep at night and my t3 just tested lower than everybody expected, so i have some external forces undermining me). Anyways, I'm just a little blue, want to eat some comfort food, and simultaneously am not interested in putting any junk in my body. I guess I'm tempted by a paleo treat or juice or something, something easy and NOT MEAT.

Accidentally having sugar does not merit a restart.

On the energy thing/feeling blue, have you been having lots of carb dense vegetables, at least 1-2 times daily?  Also, are you drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your current body weight daily? Not being able to sleep at night isn't helping things - not sure how much you can do about that at the present time.

If you don't want meat, have seafood, or other meat options that you haven't had as frequently.  

EDIT: I see by your prior posts that you do Crossfit 3 times a week, and you were having some challenges with postWO snacks.  Have you been able to find a solution that works for you?

Congrats to everyone finishing!! It's so great hearing everyone's stories :)

I lost another 8.5 inches off my body, mainly off my hips, lower abdomen and bust. I am still doing the Whole60, so I am continuing on, but I am loving my halfway results :)

A little advice for the reintroduction--I found that when I did as the book said {trying dairy with every meal, but it being something different like milk, cheese, ice cream} led to confusion when I had a reaction. I couldn't pin-point whether it was the milk, cheese or ice cream that was giving me the reaction or if it was because it was building up in my body from the day. At the end of this month I will reintroduce ONE item, eat clean for two days and then reintroduce the next item. That way I will know for sure what I can and cannot eat.

And in case anyone wants to read about my results, I wrote about them here: http://xinesbattleofherbulge.com/2014/05/01/whole30-60-halfway-results/

Archived