Developing Diverticulitis on Whole 30

I am on day 8 of my Whole 30.  I have been eating a lot more veggies and larger varieties of veggies than I have in the past.  For the past few days I have had a increasing highly localized pain in the left side of my abdomen.  It started as just a twinge here and there and by today it hurts to move.  My doctor is running some urine and blood tests, but his initial concern is that I have developed Diverticulitis.  I have never had diverticulitis before.  I am so frustrated.  I expected the Whole 30 to help with health and digestive issues not cause them.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I don't have the official diagnosis yet, so hopefully that isn't it.  The pain doesn't appear to contingent on anything I eat, so maybe its something else.

You don't develop diverticulitis overnight, or even in a few weeks. It's possible you had it before (if that is what is wrong) and by eating a lot of veggies, it's become worse.

However, it could just be more bulk in your system. There is a curve in the colon on the left side where the transverse colon joins with the descending colon called the splenic flexure that causes problems in many people. I have IBS and I had the pain there many times and even sometimes now without any other IBS symptoms.

Can you supply a list of what you've been eating? Also, how are your bowel movements?

The lab called and all my tests are normal, so it doesn't appear to be diverticulitis.  I suppose that's good, but now I am back at square one trying to figure out what it is going on.  The doctor wants me to wait a few days and only come back in a few days if it gets worse.

Here are my menus for the past few days.

Breakfasts:(Same every day for 5 days)

Homemade chicken breakfast sausage

Sweet potato hash with mushrooms and spinach - cooked with coconut oil

Poached egg

Lunches and Dinners: (often do leftovers for lunch the next day so some of these have been eaten twice with the fruit only at lunch

Sautéed chicken and mushrooms, Cauliflower rice, Strawberries

Steamed Salmon with Olive Oil and Lemon, Steamed broccoli, Mango slices

Tuna salad on a bed of spinach leaves, Carrot sticks and unsweetened applesauce

Hamburger patty, sautéed kale with bacon

Roasted chicken, roasted butternut squash and carrots

I cook with either olive oil, ghee or coconut oil for each meal

Most days I also have a snack of a handful of nuts also, either almonds, macadamia nuts or pistachios.  I am eating a lot more vegetables than I ever have in the past.

My BMs have been pretty normal.  One every day and not overly loose.  They have been a little green the last few days.  Sorry for the TMI, but you asked.

Thanks for your help.

no problem! I think you can do a few things. Add digestive enzymes. Many of us have digestive systems that are compromised from our previous diets and lose the ability to fully digest some foods. Adding a lot of veggies can cause a lot of gas, which can cause that pain (I even went to the hospital once, the pain was so bad, and it was just a gas bubble). Also Broccoli and Cauliflower are FODMAPS, foods with certain carbohydrates that are difficult to digest and they also have a lot of insoluable fiber that can also cause problems. I have IBS and I found that eliminating foods like broccoli and onions have stopped a lot of my symptoms. For some reason cauliflower doesn't bother me. You may not have to do this permanently, just ease into having a lot of these types of veggies. There is a FODMAPS shopping list on the Whole 9 website. Hope this helps!

• Moderators

I used to know an old man who got hospitalized for diverticulitis every time he ate a bag of peanuts. He loved peanuts and kept doing it, hoping that he would not have a problem "this time." 

Nuts cause digestive distress to a lot of people. Try eliminating nuts entirely for a while and see if you feel better. 

• Moderators

Tom, it cracks me up that the majority of your replies lately seem to boil down to "just say no to nuts." You certainly got that message across to me, and my (basically) nut free Whole 30 this time around is going so much better than my first one a year ago. I will occasionally use them in a salad, but never as a hand-to-mouth snack. They're dangerous that way for so many reasons.

Listen to Tom, folks. He doesn't mince words. Nuts are not your friend.

• 3 months later...

I had the same thing happen, and was given a diagnosis of diverticulitis.  My doctor surmised that the elimination of probiotic yogurt allowed the symptoms to hit fast and furious after a few weeks, and that my eating probiotic yogurt had kept it at bay. Also, she advised to stay away from seeds, and that nuts should not be a large issue.  I'm on antibiotics to get it under control, but adding yogurt back in (I do not want to take supplements and don't care for kimchi/sauerkraut/miso for probiotics) has helped immensely.

• Moderators

I had the same thing happen, and was given a diagnosis of diverticulitis.  My doctor surmised that the elimination of probiotic yogurt allowed the symptoms to hit fast and furious after a few weeks, and that my eating probiotic yogurt had kept it at bay. Also, she advised to stay away from seeds, and that nuts should not be a large issue.  I'm on antibiotics to get it under control, but adding yogurt back in (I do not want to take supplements and don't care for kimchi/sauerkraut/miso for probiotics) has helped immensely.

We never recommend miso as a source of probiotics because miso is fermented soy and not allowed during a Whole30. 

Yogurt is not allowed during a Whole30 even if it is your preferred way of consuming probiotics. I understand your choosing to start eating yogurt again as part of your effort to resolve your medical problem. Maybe when you are in a better place, you will come back and complete a Whole30.

Archived