Spring (3/20) start in order to finish for Easter!

BAKrafty1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wished I had learned about Whole30 sooner. I would've joined your start date of 3/20 instead of 4/1.  I've been reading up on Paleo / Primal eating lifestyle.  And just this weekend I happen to stumble upon W30.  

I don't think I'd have the time to prep tonight.  I do have a lot of the main staples (proteins/veggies/fruits).  But I'm lacking a few key things like coconut oil, nut butter and nuts.

And I haven't cleaned out my kitchen or fridge because out of us four in the house (me, my husband and two sons) I'd be the only one doing the program. Including transitioning to Paleo / Primal afterwards. Nobody else cares to eat this way... yet. I'm hoping that I can set a good example. And get them on board little by little. hehe   

I decided the first day of Spring would be a great day to start. Can't wait. My biggest worry is eating out. My husband and I have been trying to do that less because of the cost and the salt but we won't be able to avoid it altogether. Also the no wine will be a bit of a challenge but one I am happy to take on. I'd like to see how I do without my daily 1-2 glasses.

Good luck on day one!

Well ladies first day of spring start. I will join you!! I finished my first whole 30 on March 2nd and was supposed to go another 30-60 days. Unfortunately that didn't happen and I started cheating. I have been trying to start for the last week and haven't been able too. One of the big mistakes I think I did on my last is that I didn't change my sugar habit completely by just doing protein and non sugary veggies and no fruit when I was in a sugar fit. Sometimes I complied but others I didn't. This time I really need to make sure I am not continuing the habit but using sweet potatoes and fruit instead of the omitted list.

The sugar dragon is already screaming loudly in my ear so this morning I am going to have my home made turkey sausage and sauteed zucchini with basil.

If you haven't signed up for the daily news letter do because reading that everyday was so incredibly helpful and I am going to reread them every day through my next whole 30. 

Let the games begin!!

Hi everyone!  I started 3/20, so I'd love to join you!  So far I'm loving it, but I know that this initial euphoria will fade away once the cravings kick in full force.

I made a few crustless quiches on Wednesday, and I've been having a wedge of that with hot sauce and avocado for breakfast.  Yum.  Oh, and coffee with a spoonful of full fat coconut milk (blended in my nutribullet for extra smoothness) is an unexpected delight!  Salad for lunch will probably get boring, but for now it's ok.

I definitely need to sign up  for the daily newsletter.

Looking forward to getting and giving support on this adventure!

Ruth

I'm in.  I've been trying to get 'back on track' for months now, and it's just not working. I obviously need another Whole 30! (I've done 3, but seriously slid off the wagon last September--it's been a mess!)

Nice to have you all along for the Spring Fling.  I was beginning to think I'd have to go it alone...but then we NEVER have to go it alone. 

My biggest miss will be dairy.  I start my day everyday with greek yogurt and fresh fruit. (And, of course, being from WI there's a plethora of cheese and other yummy dairy products!)

Glad you are all here for the ride! :D

How did we all do on Day 1?

It was pretty good for me, I would say. Should we try to check in every day or is there a different area of the Forum for that. 

I definitely need to get on the veggie train. I have exactly one eggplant, one half of a cauliflower head and some carrots in my veggie drawer. I do have some frozen stuff but I need to stock up!

Found an amazing butcher with grass-fed, local beef and pastured whole chickens. Hooray for that. 

But my search for sugar free bacon has come up empty. I may try to do without for the 30 days. We will see. :)

Good luck on Day 2!

Good morning all!  Today is day three for me and I definitely woke up sluggish.  I had a cup of coffee with some coconut milk and that perked me right up as well as an amazing breakfast consisting of garlic, onion, sweet potato and spinach sautee, topped with two ghee fried eggs.  Holy deliciousness!  I tried ghee on sweet potato last night and I didn't like it at all, but I think for cooking it tastes great.

Any good food finds from anyone?  Meals to share?

Have a great day, everyone!!

Day One completed.  I'm with Sparkle57...I didn't get to get all of my shopping done pre-start so the veggies are a bit sparce in the house.  But I wasn't going to prevent me from starting yesterday (though I could've used it as an excuse).  I did manage to bake up a bunch of sweet potatoes last night though and make my grocery list.  Looking forward to shopping and prepping this weekend to be set up sufficiently.

Hope everyone had a great day!  Here's to Day 2!! :-)

Okay - grass fed beef will take some getting used to!

Made some great ketchup - I'm an addict and Reagan could have been talking about me when he called ketchup a veggie. I gotta have it so I'm glad to have found a recipe.

Also did the Sunshine Sauce from Eating Well. I used it on cabbage and it was pretty good. Like an Asian slaw. I think I will try the recipe with almond butter next time, though.

I hope I can get out for some veggie shopping, too.

You guys look like a fun bunch--can I join?  I actually started today, although I was pretty much compliant yesterday.  Had some ranch dressing in a restaurant and I can't swear to what was in it, so I'll start counting today.  This is my second try at W30.  The first time I stopped after about 2 1/2 weeks (in Feb) because I got snowed in and broke down and ate stuff!  But I thought it went pretty well and it has definitely influenced my eating for the better.  Checking in every day would be great, if you all are able to.  The support from last time was super helpful.  I am having one of those days when I'm not all that hungry.  Had 3 eggs with grass fed ground beef and roasted red pepper for b'fast and an apple with almond butter for lunch.  Bought a pretty piece of salmon to have with greens for dinner and some scallops for tomorrow.  The last time I saw the weight start to fall off of me, and it was sooo great not counting calories and worrying about portions.  I thought I was eating A LOT!

I started yesterday also.  This is my first Whole 30, and I have my husband mostly on board, with our three kids along for the ride!  My biggest worry is doing without chocolate, but so far so good!  I found Larabars, so I feel better about times when I am at work or out of the house and need something compliant and quick.  I already know I need to watch how often I allow myself to eat them though, so they don't just replace candy bars! 

Day 2 in the bank! I loved the pic of the cranky kid in the link. 

It's all of 7:00 a.m. so I'm not exactly sure how I feel. I got a Fresh Direct order chock a block with veggies and meat so I definitely have what I need to keep going. I also found Lara bars yesterday but now feel like I need to hide them! Talk about crack.  :)

Think I will make frittata this morning with lots of veg. Tried grass fed steak and it was okay:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Grass-Fed-Steaks-with-Kalamata-Olive-em-Chimichurri-em-351270?

I really like the recipes on NomNom and in WellFed but I'm finding that there are lots of recipes in Allrecipes or Epicurious that are also W30! 

Good luck on Day 3, everyone. May your energy be good and your crankiness be minimal.  :lol: 

Day 2 completed...but woke this morning with a blazing headache.  I'll up my water intake today...that usually does the trick.  At least I know the headache is not from caffeine deficiency. Also, I'd already switched to removing added sugar from my diet at the beginning of Lent...so was hoping I could avoid some of the side effects I read about ahead of time.  Oh well.

Good luck to everyone today!  I can't wait to get to the grocery store to go wild (in a good way)!  I have so many recipes that we want to try this week!!! :-) That's what I love about this, no lack of good food recipes!

Things I want to improve on:

I had a Lara bar yesterday and today late afternoon. I definitely get peckish around then. I know this should subside. I also had a handful (fist closed  :)) of pecans around lunch time. Today I conked out and took a nap. I never do that!  ^_^

On the plus side, I made my own mayo and had a nice faux nicoise salad for lunch. Dinner out tonight. Should not be too hard. But no wine or dessert!

Cheers everyone. 

I have worked my way into the start date of 03/20. I spent two weeks cleaning out my house. Reading recipes, books and forums. I have made three trips to four different stores and acquired all the foods I need. During this two week period of time I cut out the things that would be the hardest for me to give up. Thought it might be easier to give them up before I started....kinda a jump start on the hard stuff.

Good luck to everyone!

Hope everyone had a good Day 3! Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, red bell pepper

Lunch: Leftover beef with carrots and onions, blueberries/grapes with coconut cream

Snacks: Apple pie Larabar, hard boiled egg

Dinner: Meatzza from Well Fed with bell peppers and onions on it, and a side of steamed broccoli

I feel pretty good about how I ate today, especially since I worked all day also. Have a dull headache and am feeling a bit cranky this evening, but not feeling hungry. Overall a good day!

I hope others share their food choices to get some more ideas!

Hope everyone had a good Day 3! Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, red bell pepper

Lunch: Leftover beef with carrots and onions, blueberries/grapes with coconut cream

Snacks: Apple pie Larabar, hard boiled egg

Dinner: Meatzza from Well Fed with bell peppers and onions on it, and a side of steamed broccoli

I feel pretty good about how I ate today, especially since I worked all day also. Have a dull headache and am feeling a bit cranky this evening, but not feeling hungry. Overall a good day!

I hope others share their food choices to get some more ideas!

I'm sharing all of my choice on my log page. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/17635-eileens-1st-whole-30-yay/

I'm trying to remember to take pics of all my meals and will go back and insert them later.

Felt good today. Cooked a lot for the week. Tomorrow is my first big test of eating out.

Good luck with eating out. I did last night and it was fine. We went to a bistro so there was steak and good veggies. I kept it simple and had the hangar steak and steamed spinach with garlic and oil. 

Day 4!!! Yay. 

I also feel a little cold coming on with baby sniffles. Could this by my "paleo flu"??? Stay tuned.

Good luck today everyone. 

Made it through Day 3..though at one pint in the afternoon, I thought I was nuts for doing this and nearly gave in.  But realized two things 1) it's harder when I'm at home than at work and 2) that I was amazed I could want to cave at Day 3 and was NOT going to allow for that!

Still need to get to the grocery store since we went to dinner with friends last night.  Good place with plenty of fresh meat and veg.  Watched as my friends enjoyed bread with butter and sticky toffee pudding.  But, I'd made it through the toughest part of the day, so it was easy to skip those.

Good Luck with Day 4 everyone!

Archived