Spring (3/20) start in order to finish for Easter!

BAKrafty1

TGI Day 16, to be sure!  Two weeks to go!!  Wahoo!

This weekend is going to be tough. I am a chaperone for a high school retreat from our church that will be at a private home with group meals prepared with and by the teens...so you KNOW that means pizza for at least one meal...probably tacos for another.  Am planning to pack plenty of fruit and veg as my contribution to "snacks".  Can't wait to check in with everyone on Sunday.

Hey there, how did you do? I'm sure you did great. We are on day 19. It truly is getting easier. My biggest challenges are - ahem - not having regular movement (sorry if that is TMI!!!). I don't feel bloated or anything, my wedding ring is very loose. But I would feel better if everything moved at least once a day! I should probably drink more H2O.  :)

No running today or yesterday. I start back tomorrow. 

Gotta liven up my menus, too. But all in all, I am feeling very confident about finishing this thing. I have a weekend event next Saturday, too, but there should be W30 food. Just lots of booze, too. I'll be 4 days away from finishing so I'm hoping that will keep me strong.

Cheers everyone - how are you doing???

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:( I fell off the wagon, as it were. I can't believe how guilty I felt, letting YOU ALL down. But it is what it is. Back at it this morning, but of course I can't call this a whole30. Best of luck to you all--you're almost there!!

We are only human, Manda! I say start another one but stay with us. :)

And it is always good to sit with what triggered the choice to eat something that was not W30 (I don't like using the word, "compliant" for some reason). Also to count all the ways that you feel great about eating this way. Yes, the Whole30 is supposed to be 30 days straight but you still had benefits for being on it so long!

Let us know how you are doing.

I made it through the weekend but now I'm dragging today and didn't have an opportunity for preparing food choices for my work day.

I'm not sure I want to continue this.  I'm not attempting to find any underlying problems and have spent the past 2 years eating healthy and exercising (and lost 50+ pounds through healthy means). 

I'm thankful for having learned to add healthy fats into my diet but HATE how restrictive this is.  I have no intention of living the rest of my life this way but used these past 3 weeks to broaden my food horizons. 

No matter what they say, I miss my greek yogurt and my "normal" pre and post run fuels.  I'm seriously considering finishing out Lent with my "no sugar added" goal...but I NEED dairy in my life! Sorry guys...this may be my last day.

Manda, Sparkle is so right! You are human and stuff happens! You just have to accept that what is done is done. It sounds like you're motivated to jump back on. Good on ya!

BAKrafty, I hear ya. It's a struggle some days. I miss, miss, MISS my oatmeal, banana and sunbutter in the morning. I think I actually drooled a little when I made it for my son the other day. You know you, so do what you gotta do. But, do you think you'll be upset with yourself for not finishing the entire 30 days? You are SO close! At least after the entire 30 days you can say, "I did it. It's not for me." 

I am, however, starting to look forward to my sweet potato hash, eggs and veg in the morning, so maybe there's hope for me yet ;-) My third W30 long run is Thursday and I'm hoping I can figure out the best fuel this time.

My anxiety about life after W30 is starting to dissipate. I definitely won't be 100% Paleo all the time, but my goal is to eat super clean at home. I just worry about having that cupcake on Easter. Will it be like a crackhead having a rock after rehab?!

BAKrafty, I'm with ACatCoop on this one - I don't think any of us is really clear about where we will go once we are done but I think you will be really happy with yourself for going the distance. And the distance is not that much now! Just 10 days starting tomorrow. 

I laugh at myself. I've gone from vegan at the beginning of the year to paleo now! What a roller coaster. One good thing is that I really do not miss yogurt or milk products. I am experiencing a lot of variety on the W30 so am contemplating a second one when this one is done. 

ACatCoop - good luck on Thursday's long run. As I said, my would be 10 miler on Sunday (I ran 9.4) was not good but I honestly think that's because I'm getting in shape, not because of my diet. I still am relying on Lara Bars - normally I would be using Hammer products to fuel my runs. Can't wait to hear your report. I've got a Saturday family gathering and a birthday party on the Saturday before Easter. I think I'll be okay. I hope I'll be okay. I am sure I'll be okay. I keep telling myself that!

I almost forgot - I have the loveliest, silkiest may in the fridge! I invested in a really good blender - the Breville Hemisphere Control one. What a difference. 

On to day 20!

Still here...I'm stubborn enough to stick to it but don't feel any of the "tiger blood", high energy, profound, life changing ideas that their book holds up..and maybe that's the point.  Maybe, for me, it's just the affirmation that I need that the clean eating habits I've developed over the past two years are fully embraced in my life to the extent that I'm unwilling to give up entire food groups for the long haul. 

Honestly, I haven't run at all since the start of this because I've been scared to face the post run w/o my normal fuels (which are completely healthy and not indulgent...just not on this program).  I will end the program and then say to others, "been there, done that" and won't ever feel a need to do it again.  I will be able to speak of the clean eating life I've taken on w/o any wonder as to what I may be missing "if only I'd try paleo"...or have those who say "don't knock it til you try it".

I fully know that I have a sugar beast inside of me and have a much better understanding of how to care for it in the future.  I also have a better acceptance of healthy fats for my life whereas before I was afraid to add them in.

For me, the Whole 30 has been a good learning process...so, yes, I'll be here. 

And, for the record, I'm going to go on my first run on my noon hour today...then have lunch afterwards...that way I can start small this week and build up to resuming full on training when the 30 days ends. :)   Thanks ACatCoop and Sparkefiftyseven for your encouragement.

Hurray, BAKrafty! I think you will be glad you did the whole thing. I think you are on to something with realizing that you are affirming what you have already started as far as clean eating goes. I think the healthy fats and no sugar elements are key for my success as well. As a vegan, I can't believe that I really did not pay as much attention to planning as I have on the paleo/W30. I love the community support here, something that I didn't really have in my veganism. 

Anyhoo, I have found that I do just fine with post WO stuff that is not meal compliant but totally clean. There's only so much a girl can do! I hope your run went well!

Cheers. 

Alright BAKrafty! Way to go :-) How was your run? 

Sparkle, you always have the most encouraging posts! Thanks for that. And getting back on the running wagon while on the W30 must be hard. Well done for doing it. 9.4 mi is nothing to scoff at.

Nothing new or exciting to report here. I'm on Day 20 and SO excited!!!

We're in the home stretch...or it feels that way to me.  My run yesterday was quiet and only 2 miles but that's 2 miles more than I'd done in the past 3 weeks.  I was glad of it since I didn't wake up on time and had to do it on my lunch hour.  But I think that helped since post run, I had a great lunch.

Here's to today!  Let's do this thing!

Good job on the run, BAKrafty! I wish I had the energy to run any time other than the morning. I find if I don't get up and out, I'm toast. Or some W30 equivalent of toast! I had a good interval work out this morning. I did mile splits. Now, they were slooooooowwwww miles, but they still were mile splits! 

ACat - isn't it kind of cool that we are in a sort of groove? I'm excited for you!

I definitely feel like we are in the home stretch. Yay for us!

Yes! Yay for a groove! I just mapped out tomorrow's run and added some extra sweet potatoes to my dinner tonight. Fingers crossed for happy miles!

Way to go BAKrafty! Way to power through a run. Quiet is better than nothing!

Well done on the mile splits, Sparkle. I HATE HATE HATE mile splits! Give me a long, slow, day anyday. 

Hope everyone had great days today! I'm craving some olive oil mayo and will have to get the food processor going tomorrow ;-) 

Good luck on your run, ACat! I'm hopeful that my long run this Saturday goes well. I really am feeling pretty perky these days so between being lighter, having more energy, and having more miles in the bank, I hope I enjoy my 11 miles. 

Day 22. I read today's daily mail and confess that I am sorely tempted to keep this thing going. I've read "Well Fed" and "NomNom Paleo" and I think their 90 to 95% approach is sensible. But I feel like 30 days is not really enough to have cemented clean eating in place. I am going to do some more research on this. I see that it is not a "Whole 365" but why not? Are you really supposed to have the "no" foods after day 30? Why would that be true?

No run today, just lots of study and class tonight at 5. I am making Michelle Tam's "Kahlua Pork" and I can smell heavenly stuff wafting out of the Crock Pot. 

I'll check in later. Have a great day everyone!

I have been clean eating for over a year now...though the Whole 30 takes it to a whole new level.  Prior to Whole30 I lived more like 80/20 because I know myself well enough to know that if I think I "can't" have something, I want it all the more.

I know that once the 30 days is over, I will be much more cognizant of added sugar and about the times that I nearly caved and how I resolved the issue.  I do like that my body wants to burn fat instead of sugar yet prior to the start of lent I typically turned to sugar. Now I'll use the new items that I've added more often instead of the sugar.

The best thing I can say about clean eating the past 18 months is that grocery shopping is so much easier...especially because it means no more trolling up and down the aisles...stay to the perimeter of the store and all is well. 

However, I will never ever again cut dairy out of my life...well, unless something changes with me drastically for medical reasons.  My first post Whole30 food will be Greek Gods Greek Yogurt. I love that stuff!  And my post run chocolate milk.

I'll admit that after reading Day 22, yes, I am afraid to add back breads and crackers.  I'll need to seriously rethink what/how I add those.  I'm sure they'll give us more clues in the coming days, Sparklefiftyseven.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Day 21!

Oooh, now I'm looking forward to tomorrow's email. Y'all have me interested. I can live without bread I've decided. But a sandwich treat here and there is enticing! I have an acquaintance here who bakes the yummiest paleo treats, and she's developing a paleo bread recipe. Here's isn't going to be filled with junk like others you see on the shelves. Anywho, I may have to try that if I ever "HAVE" to have a grilled cheese :-)

Sparkle, if you want to keep on going for a W60 on, go for it! It couldn't hurt, especially if you are enjoying the way you're eating and feeling now. 

Today's run was SOOOOOOO much better that the last two weeks! The key for me is making sure I have enough starchy veg the days before and morning of a long run. I took a Plum Organics blueberry/spinach/pear baby food pouch with me and sucked it down about half-way through. In the interest of truth, I stole it from my son's stash ;-) Anyway, it absolutely did the job. I felt strong through the last mile and was like a horse running to the stable at the end. I've used gels in the past and I've always have serious gastric distress about 30 min post race. I mean, like the bottom was falling out of my gut. I haven't had any issues yet today! I had an orange and a hard-boiled egg after the run and have been sucking down the water. I am quite tired still, but have some pep in my step after today's milage victory. Next week I start to taper .. "only" 11 miles.

I hope everyone's having a great day! High fives all around. We're almost there!

I am so glad that the run went so well, ACat! That really is great. 

BAKrafty, I've done some more reading on reintro and it's not as arbitrary as I was afraid it might be. If I don't want to reintroduce something, I don't have to. I notice that when you reintroduce, the suggestion is that you reintroduce whatever it is at each meal. So...does that mean I can have wine for breakfast???

I love Mark's Daily Apple info graphic on this. There is a cool Paleo food pyramid that seems so sensible to me. I think it's on the free part of the site, so here is the link :the-primal-blueprint-21-day-challenge Please note that he includes wine and chocolate as "sensible indulgences!" Huzzah. :)

I still think I may do an second round, though. If only because of the habit thing. I feel only loosely cemented, as it were. I'd like to feel stronger about meal prep, post WO, getting all my veg in, etc. before I have those sensible indulgences. We shall see!

I will do a 4-miler today. I gotta go suit up. See you later!

Sparkle57...thanks for the link...that's a great visual for this!  I got some sunshine while running yesterday afternoon.  It felt SO good to be back outside!!!  Felt like I could've run a lot longer than I did...walked a lot longer instead just to enjoy the sunshine...soak it up!

One more week.  I like the thought of reintroducing with meals instead of returning to the model where carbs popped into my life between meals.  I will return to the model where I have a healthy snack between meals though.  Mentally it helps me...in allowing me to do it instead of it being "forbidden fruit".  My guess is that I'll feel the need for the 10:00 & 3:00 "snack" to be less than it was before.

Good luck to all this day!  Here's to another one into the books!

Home stretch ahead.  :)

I'm with you BAKrafty...I think I may have to reintroduce my afternoon snack ... usually around 2 pm. I can load up on lunch, but most days I'm starving by dinner. I'm not a very pleasant person or happy momma when I'm hungry! We'll see. 

I bought candy for the kid's easter basket today. I don't usually care about candy, but those Reese's eggs are too tempting. I'm going to give myself Easter, then get back to 80-90%. 

Good luck on your run tomorrow, Sparkle! And thanks for the link to the graphic. Wine for breakfast?! Yes please :-)

How is everyone?

Day 25 only 5 days left! 

I made it through the family gathering just fine. I knew there would be meat and doing without the booze was a whole lot easier than I worried it might be. Had a diner breakfast with eggs and sausage and fresh spinach. 

Feeling pretty good over all. But feeling REALLY good that I'm almost done! Even if I just roll into another W30, it will really feel good to have one under my belt.

Oh, and my 11-miler on Saturday was good, too!

Cheers.

Awesome, Sparkle! Great job on the run! I really began to feel the W30 "high" once my gym and running performance started picking up again. I didn't back off my routine at all in the first two weeks (wow, it seems so very long ago!) like the book suggested, but I was knackered by afternoon and had to nap. Now, my afternoon energy is amazing. So much more is getting done around the house!

Hurrah for the last week! Bring on Day 25 tomorrow. I am excited to have a few treats on Easter, but will be getting right back to it the day after. I am more excited about meal planning the days after Easter than I am about Easter itself! I worry a bit that I'm not going to do a proper reintegration, but I didn't really have issues with specific foods aside from legumes (which I'm done with!). Just a nasty sugar demon :-) 

I bought ISWF for my Mom (after asking her if I could) and have been highlighting and book marking pages for her. We have some of the same struggles with food. I really think she will benefit from giving it a go. She's coming to visit this week, so she will be in W30 bootcamp with me until Easter. Now I'm trying to decide what recipes to cook to "wow" her.

A great Monday to all! 

I have been feeling that energy lift in the afternoons, too, ACat. It's amazing. I was not that unenergetic before - at least I thought so! But now I know what I have been missing, I guess. I will be interested to hear about your Mom. I wanted to get the book for my son who would benefit from this. He has mild depression and weight issues. A lovely human being but he struggles and I think this would be helpful. 

I have a happy hour tonight with old friends that I am looking forward to. I feel buoyed by my no drinking with my drinking family on Saturday. This will be a breeze!

And running starts again tomorrow. Like you, my first runs were pretty horrible 3 weeks ago. Much better now. I attribute that to getting in shape and getting used to the program.

Countdown to Friday starts now!!!

Hurray!

LOL, my energy was unstoppable last night! I couldn't turn my brain off and didn't get to sleep until after midnight. But, I was up by 615. Computer will be off at 8 pm tonight so I can't google more recipes.

Have fun at Happy Hour, Sparkle!

BAKrafty, how are you?? 

I'm good...really good.  So thankful that we are all at this point!  Last week, I was thinking of all the wonderful things I've denied myself and couldn't wait to dive in.  This morning, I found myself so excited about how I am feeling that I started to rethink how often I want to have some of my favorite breakfast treat: scones.
We woke to fresh snow this morning which totally ruled out an outdoor walk/run.  Off to the dreadmill. However, I've discovered an app, BitGym, that reads your actual pace and allows you to walk/ride/run trails in to your pace.  It was AWESOME! What started as a walk, turned into a run that started as 10 minutes, turned into 20 minutes, and finally ended at 25 minutes because I felt SO good!

It's an exciting final week!

Good job everyone!  Good luck with the cocktail hours!

Awesome BAKrafty! So happy you got through that rough patch last week. And yeah for an awesome run! I love those days!

I had to get an afternoon snack today - apple and a handful of cashews. I'm pretty sure I was legitimately hungry. I am starting to feel the effects of staying awake too late. No energy this afternoon. No coffee for me, though! Early to bed for sure.

Archived