Day 11 binge?

KelBelle

Hi. So yesterday was Day 11 of my second Whole 30. 

I woke up early yesterday and put a roast in the slow cooker and was so excited to have it for dinner.  I got home and it wasn't ready and I was caught without food to eat.  I immediately grabbed the jar of almond butter and started eating it with a spoon straight from the jar.  There was about 1/4 of the jar left.  I ate it all while thinking "Now what am I going to do for dinner???" in a very whiney voice. 

Then I found some trail mix (compliant ingredients) and mindlessly ate that as well.

My question is: if my mindless eating involves only Whole 30 compliant ingredients, is it still a cheat?  I mean, I consider what happened a binge even though it was grain dairy sugar alcohol etc free.

It feels like I cheated, however in my defense yesterday at work was March Birthday Celebration in which I watched about 30 of my coworkers chow down on the fluffiest cake and icing I have ever seen.  Binging on almond butter and sunflower seeds is better for me than having 2 big pieces of cake.  Mentally it feels the same though. 

Big Confession: The trail mix also had raisins :o .  This is what I am most worried about.  What if they had sugar added?  Okay I think I just answered my question.  I'm going to do Whole 42 instead of Whole 30 just in case.  I will still count these 11 days but will tack on 12 just in case I accidentally unknowingly ate sugared raisins.

Its the roasts fault.  Okay thanks for reading my shameful confession :wacko: .

Hi. So yesterday was Day 11 of my second Whole 30. 

I woke up early yesterday and put a roast in the slow cooker and was so excited to have it for dinner.  I got home and it wasn't ready and I was caught without food to eat.  I immediately grabbed the jar of almond butter and started eating it with a spoon straight from the jar.  There was about 1/4 of the jar left.  I ate it all while thinking "Now what am I going to do for dinner???" in a very whiney voice. 

Then I found some trail mix (compliant ingredients) and mindlessly ate that as well.

My question is: if my mindless eating involves only Whole 30 compliant ingredients, is it still a cheat?  I mean, I consider what happened a binge even though it was grain dairy sugar alcohol etc free.

It feels like I cheated, however in my defense yesterday at work was March Birthday Celebration in which I watched about 30 of my coworkers chow down on the fluffiest cake and icing I have ever seen.  Binging on almond butter and sunflower seeds is better for me than having 2 big pieces of cake.  Mentally it feels the same though. 

Big Confession: The trail mix also had raisins :o .  This is what I am most worried about.  What if they had sugar added?  Okay I think I just answered my question.  I'm going to do Whole 42 instead of Whole 30 just in case.  I will still count these 11 days but will tack on 12 just in case I accidentally unknowingly ate sugared raisins.

Its the roasts fault.  Okay thanks for reading my shameful confession :wacko: .

I am not an expert. By eating compliant ingredients you should not have to restart (if you accidentally ate sugar that still doesn't call for a restart) . I think this is a valuable lesson for you to understand your habits and triggers. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is a learning process and brings up a lot of emotions that we may not realize. I find it so much easier to get through these situations when I am prepared. Maybe you can have a compliant meal in the freezer that you could microwave if this happens again. Maybe you have a couple of quick go to foods on hand (hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, canned chicken). By the way I am sure the cake was awful with so much sugar that it makes your teeth hurt and your gut ache. You can do this!

'Binge' is a strong word for 1/4 jar of almond butter and some trail mix. Mindless and probably unnecessary, sure. Like Tina said, you've learned a lesson and just need to make sure you are prepared next time this happens. Personally I wouldn't stress about it unless you find yourself doing this on a daily basis.

I am eating a little extra here and there as well, almond butter spoons once or twice a day, handful of nuts, etc.   If it keeps me from imploding, I count it as a win.  I think the meal portion sizes and encouragement to not snack if possible are optimum rules, but I haven't seen anything that indicates eating a unscheduled piece of fruit or compliant snack blows the Whole30 protocol.  But I am no expert, I am only on day 24! lol

• Moderators

I agree that this doesn't necessitate a restart. You didn't "cheat," you simple ate outside the template. I think part of the beauty of W30 is that it provides a structure that actually takes the emotional charge out of feeding yourself. For some it takes longer than 30 days for this to happen--and the first W30 can actually feel like it heightens the emotional stuff (I'm good if I eat compliant; I'm bad if I don't eat according to the template; etc.). But I'd encourage you to take that old paradigm of being on plan vs. cheating out of the mix.

And for what it's worth, I think you're really wise to have the awareness of your out-of-control eating and to call yourself out on it. That a first step in creating positive change.

In a sense, what she did validated the Whole30 approach, and showed that she is learning to make smart choices about food.  In the past, if I got home late and dinner wasn't ready, I would have annihilated half a can of Pringles, and drank a quart of Diet Coke.  Now I get home and have a handful of nuts or a spoon or two of almond butter.  Is it the best thing I could do? No, but it is at least eating things that aren't harmful to my body.

• Moderators

In a sense, what she did validated the Whole30 approach, and showed that she is learning to make smart choices about food.  In the past, if I got home late and dinner wasn't ready, I would have annihilated half a can of Pringles, and drank a quart of Diet Coke.  Now I get home and have a handful of nuts or a spoon or two of almond butter.  Is it the best thing I could do? No, but it is at least eating things that aren't harmful to my body.

I apologize if I hit a nerve! My intention with my comment was to be supportive--and the opposite of shaming. Yes, if KelBelle made better choices than she has in the past, that's progress. It's also progress to recognize mindless eating as what it is--an unhealthy behavior that requires a spirit of loving kindness toward oneself to change it. And her "confession" need not be "shameful." I hope that clarifies what I meant and the spirit in which it was offered.

Archived