Expecting Surgery Within a Month or Two

I did a search for this and didn't find anything. 

I am expecting major abdominal surgery within a month, maybe two (don't know the doctor's schedule yet). I was going to start my Whole 30 on Friday, but now I'm wondering if that's smart. I already eat very healthfully--grassfed meats, mostly organic veggies and fruits, very few grains, raw or organic dairy, etc. Will going on a Whole 30 deplete my reserves ( I also nurse a toddler a few times a day)? 

I did a search for this and didn't find anything. 

I am expecting major abdominal surgery within a month, maybe two (don't know the doctor's schedule yet). I was going to start my Whole 30 on Friday, but now I'm wondering if that's smart. I already eat very healthfully--grassfed meats, mostly organic veggies and fruits, very few grains, raw or organic dairy, etc. Will going on a Whole 30 deplete my reserves ( I also nurse a toddler a few times a day)? 

I am not an expert but I would think that doing a whole30 before surgery would be a good thing and get your body as healthy as possible. You might want to check with your doctor about what you will be eating after your surgery. I don't know what type of surgery you are having but my doctor forgot to tell me that I would be on a liquid diet for a few days until just before I went home. Also whole30 nursing moms need to eat more, some have 4 or 5 meals a day. Also you need to make sure you are eating enough carbs by including sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, butternut squash, etc. I would search the forums for pregnant and breastfeeding moms for more information. You might want to use this time for prep by trying new recipes so you will be ready after your surgery. Good Luck!

Personally I would not eliminate anything prior to your surgery, although eating closer to template will probably make you feel better :)

You can always start practicing recipes or looking for compliant things in advance.

If you must eat hospital food afterwards (not always a choice), it'll be a huge shock to your system if you've been eating cleanly beforehand (especially the volume of grains), following the shock of surgery too. I'd limit your number of body shocks as much as possible and prepping your own food may be difficult depending on your recovery.

Once you're mobile after surgery, I'd start your Whole30 then :) You'll need to be okay for chopping and food prep, be gentle with your recovering body :)

Thanks to you both!

I need to get a hunk of skin taken off. Having 10-11 lb babies and an emergency c-section for one caused a lop sided scar and bulge. So it's technically a "tummy tuck", but not to look like Barbie. lol. 

I've been leaning on not doing a Whole 30 just yet, but reducing/eliminating sugar since I eat rather clean anyway. Sugar (chocolate) is my only vice, even though it's high quality. (I do not count raw dairy as unhealthy, but would eliminate it for a Whole 30.) 

Hospital food is atrocious! I agree. I'll have to sneak some good food in. :)

Archived