Unexpected warning from my doctor - high cholestoral

I have finished my first Whole 30 on the 2nd March.

I had blood tests done on the 5th March and an overall health check and while most reports came back positive which was great my cholestoral reading came back as a concern.

This was unexpected as I had never had a concern with high cholestoral in the past.

On the up side I was able to get of blood pressure meds, antidepressidents and sleeping tablets just by making the paleo change.

I am really confused as to what I should be doing now I have these results.

Can anyone help?

Did they just give you one number? Or did they give you the HDL, LDL and Triglycerides? The overall number isn't that important. The ration between HDL and total cholesterol and HDL/Triglycerides is what is important.

Well she said it went up a lot over a period of 1 year and was concerned enough to tell me to go off coconut oil.

total cholesterol was 5.8

Triglycerides 0.8

hdl was 1.58

ldl was 2.92

total hdl ratio was 3.7

I hope I am reading this right....:)

• Moderators

I am sorry you are worried about your cholesterol. I used to be worried, but now I am mostly bored with the whole topic. There is a lot of debate about cholesterol. I fired a doctor who insisted on trying to make my levels go lower and lower. Here is a collection of sites I have found informative that you might want to read.

Do you know your old numbers too?

Sometimes info like "a lot", turns out to be not very much.

Some communication with GPs on cholesterol is getting very circular (especially in Australia), many of them do not know what cholesterol is or what these numbers mean.

WTG getting off these - I hope your doctor is impressed!:

• blood pressure meds
  • anti depressants
  • sleeping tablets

I got rid of a GP who told me he'd be happy with cholesterol readings of zero across the board.

Thank you so much for your responses.

I will do some reading and try and get a better understanding of things.

Paxisproject.....thank you - I know how I am feeling and could not believe my doctor wanted me to change the way I was eating.

I think I might have to look for a new doctor to.

Thanks again

Ange

I got the warning too. My cholesterol before was about 200, which they think is find, but it went up to 236 after a few months of Paleo. But my ratios were better. Of course I got the standard, 'well, you should be on a low fat diet high in whole grains...'. I told my doctor no, my ratios are fine. Also I know my diet and This number is fine. She seemed a little put back, but said ok, and we'll check it again next tiime.....

praxis, that's what I tell people now. I don't use the P word. I say I have a Whole Food Diet, with no processed foods and lots of good quality meat and lots of veggies. That is basically the Paleo diet, but people don't connect it.

Archived