Cellulite - Can we talk about it?

LatinaCurves

Hi ladies! I'm new to Whole30. ANd I start my venture on April 1st. My question is one out of curiosity. Because I've read that some people's skin has cleared up, what about cellulite? I have some, quite a bit, on my legs. And I'll be honest I've never been one to even eat "clean".  I may lower my calories when I want to lose weight. Take in more veggies and fruit.  But I'll still have my chocolate, creamer in my coffee, and yes sugar. 

Anybody else have this problem and notice a difference?

Thanks! ;)

If you're planning on doing a Whole 30, then you shouldn't be having to count/lower calories, eat chocolate, have creamer in your coffee, or eat sugar.

Eating by the template (aka eating 2000 or more calories as a semi-active lady, not sure how many because I don't need to count them due to the ease of feeling full on a Whole 30) I lost quite a bit of size around my thighs and midsection. I'm in the middle of a month of visiting family and friends/moving overseas and I've filled back out to my pre-W30 weight/size because I'm not eating by the template.

Read the site, and don't count calories or eat anything off template until AFTER your Whole 30.

Hi MrsStick!  I get that I won't be eating/drinking those things, or counting calories either.  But by completing a W30 program, (and considering transitioning to Paleo / Primal), would it minimize some of the cellulite one has? 

I've read how some people's skin has cleared up, and also how more vibrant and younger they look. I haven't yet came across anything about cellulite (specifically) here in the forums yet.  I'm still new and have plenty to read through that's for sure.  Was hoping someone might have already noticed a difference? Thanks!

I find when I eat foods my body doesn't like, it retains water. When I retain water, my cellulite is noticeably worse. When I eat foods that don't make my body hold onto water, it gets better. It runs in my family and I know there's no getting rid of it completely for me, but it's a help!

Body brushing also significantly reduces it, though it has to be done every few days for me to notice. But if I'm going to be in a swim suit, it's totally worth it! Google it, it's super easy!

cellulite is not a skin disorder. It isn't even a disorder. Cellulite is a result of a perfectly normal skin structure where there is openness to an underlayer of skin that creates a bumpy or "pitted" texture. Some people have it, some do not. It is not bad or good and it is not something that can or even should be "fixed"

When people are talking about skin clearing up doing the whole30, this is referring to acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc.

It is possible to look young and vibrant and beautiful with and without cellulite, so seriously, I would not worry about it.

As Karen notes, there are ways to minimize the appearance of cellulite, but these are temporary measures. There is no "cure"

I'm not trying to cure it because I know it's not something you can cure or 'fix'.  I'm in my mid 40's and have been dealing with it for most of my adult life.  And I've read that by eliminating refined sugars, which turn into fat, would help.  

That's why I'm asking the forum to chime in on weather or not they've noticed a difference. 

I'll look into the body brush. I've not used that before. We're planning a trip to Jamaica this summer. And I've got bathing suits on my mind, which often times leads me to think about my troubled areas. Either way I'm still going to have my fun in the sun with or without my dimples! lol Thanks for your feedback ladies!  :D

Hi - I had similar habits to you in 2012 (mostly healthy eating, creamer in coffee). After my first whole30 in Apr 2013, the amount of cellulite on the back of my thighs was noticeably reduced. I've maintained a healthy whole30-like lifestyle since and it hasn't come back. I know this is just my outcome and everybody is different, but wanted to share. Feel free to send me a message if you have specific questions about my lifestyle or body type.

Hi Lat1naCurv3s!

I wish you the best on your journey!  If you have not been one to eat clean, then I suspect

you will be very happy with how you feel and yes, look after 30 clean-eating days.  Remember

to take a before picture!   :D

I read something interesting the other day. Cellulite is be caused by a breakdown in collegen, so the fat 'pokes'through the under layers of the skin. The collegen breaks down as we age, and also from poor nutrition and a lack of blood supply to that area (which is probably why dry brushing helps). This article said that drinking bone broth, which is full of collegen, would help with cellulite and the rest  of your skin. So I think overall a healthy diet can help with cellulite.

This makes me happy! :D Thank you ladies for sharing your results and input. I realize we're all different.  And I may or may not see any changes. My only hope is that puhleeze Lord can you give this 40+ yo woman a little break! lol 

I will come back later during and after I complete my first W30 to report my personal results.  I'll at least take some before and after pictures to compare....

And I just MIGHT even consider posting them too... I said MIGHT. :ph34r:

Hi ladies! I'm new to Whole30. ANd I start my venture on April 1st. My question is one out of curiosity. Because I've read that some people's skin has cleared up, what about cellulite? I have some, quite a bit, on my legs. And I'll be honest I've never been one to even eat "clean".  I may lower my calories when I want to lose weight. Take in more veggies and fruit.  But I'll still have my chocolate, creamer in my coffee, and yes sugar. 

Anybody else have this problem and notice a difference?

Thanks! ;)

I got a lot of compliments on my skin, but they were talking about my face.  Sadly, the "I'm 48 and my legs don't look like they used to" cellulite is still present.  I carry my weight in my lower half, and so far that fat distribution has stayed the same.  I was kind of hoping for some miracle of recomposition, but it is what it is.  I'm thin, pound for pound, but would love for once in my life some thin legs!

The overwhelming majority of women have cellulite. It just has to do with how your bottom layers of skin are formed. The lucky few who don't have cellulite have a bottom skin layer more like solid nylon stockings. People with cellulite have a bottom skin layer more like fishnets that allow a bit of the fat layer below to bulge through small gaps. 

The best "fix" I've seen is muscle building. Lots of squats and glute workouts. The fat can't poke through the fishnets if there is less fat :) 

Couple that with clean eating, and you should see some difference. I started working out 3x a week before Whole30 and I saw a difference within 2 months, so I'm hoping I see some major changes after cleaning up my diet!

Thank you ladies for your feedback.  I don't workout my legs enough it seems. I'll increase the sessions to 3x per week. I know there's no such thing as spot reduction and all of that.  But it's better than doing nothing at all. I'll feel better at least that much I know.

I start my Whole30 journey tomorrow! Yay! 

• 1 month later...

I pretty much lost all the cellulite on the back of my upper thighs.  Which I thought was great news.  However, I also lost 15+ pounds which made my boobs a lot smaller and according to my husband, I lost my cute 'bubble butt'.  Sooooo...be careful what you wish for :) He didn't notice the difference in the cellulite.  But he did notice the difference in boobs and butt!  Sometimes a little fat is a good thing.

Archived